ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for baby born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilrtier1

British passport for baby born outside UK

Post by ilrtier1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi,

I am a BC since 2014. I & My wife have ILR since 2011. We need to bring our new born baby girl to the UK from India. The baby was born in India.

Option 1: If I apply for direct british passort for the baby, the website says 16 weeks. I would like to know if anybody has been interviewed for British passport for their kid OTHER than in Delhi in India.
As I have to return to the UK in two weeks time, I cannot submit my original passport with the baby's passport application. Can I notorize my passport with an Indian lawyer, thought the gov.uk website says UK solicitor to be notorized?
The processing time mentioned is minimum 16 weeks in the gov.uk website. Has any applicant obtained the passport in 16 weeks?
The issue is my wife needs to start work after her 6 months maternity leave in August. If the maternity needs to be extended we need to inform the empoyer two months in advance. means I should know if the baby is going to get a passport by end of May. ie, in 12 weeks time.

Can I have Indian passport holder as countersignatory? any bitter experience of rejection?

Has anybody applied for childs british passport and obtained in 16 weeks? what were the documents included?

Thanks very much in advance

atel

secret.simon

Re: British passport for baby born outside UK

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 pm

When was the baby born? Was it born before or after your naturalisation? I presume from the tenor of your post that the baby was born after naturalisation, but that is by no means clear.
If the baby was born before naturalisation, they are not British.

ilrtier1

Post by ilrtier1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Baby was born after my naturalization. I got ILR with my wife in 2011 December. I got naturalized in 2014. Baby was born just two weeks before, ie, in february 2015. I was naturalized at the time of baby's conception. I think, the baby is eligible for passport. But the time delay is the problem. even though the website says 16 weeks, I haven't seen anybody saying they got it in 16 weeks time. my wife needs to join in work after her maternity leave. Hence we need to bring the child earliest(but not in visiting visa) to the UK.
Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:31 am

The child is British by descent, so they are not eligible for a visit visa anyway. A British citizen can't get a visa to enter the UK, it is their right.

You have another possibility to getting a British passport for the child. The child can get an Indian passport as it can get Indian citizenship from the mother and then you can apply for a Certificate of Right of Abode in that passport. I do not know which option would be faster for you, which I would let others advise you on.