ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are my chances of getting my wife a spouse visa good?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Are my chances of getting my wife a spouse visa good?

Post by azariahdavid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:53 am

Hello guys, as with many things in life you only seek information at times of dispair, and I really have tried everywhere now and don't know where to turn.

The particulars of my problem:-

I am a British citizen, my wife and I have been married since April 2007, My wife is highly educated, Bsc Msc, Mphil. (Indian)

My wife has applied for a visitors visa twice now at the VFS in India and they have rejected both of the applications.

The reason for the first application was that she did provide enough evidence of her circumstances in India. Now she is only 24, and has been fully reliant on her parents as she has been in fulltime education for the past 7 years. They also stated that my finances are not in good condition (which they aren't)

However, for the second application I included my mother as a Co-Sponsor, she has right of abode in the UK, and has funds in the UK. She also has a significant amount of money in India. Now when the bank statements and private pension slips were handed in, the ECO decided not to take my mother's status into the equation. In fact he did not even mention her pension in the refusal of the visa. He said that the large amount of money in mothers account was suspicious and he needed to know the source of the money.

Further in his comments, he basically states that the purpose of my wives visit is false, and she is not "telling the truth" regarding her intention to visit the UK.

Now my question is, is he saying this because he is suspicious of why a British Citizen is bringing his spouse in on a visitors visa? I am confused.

My other question basically is, when I do apply for the spouse visa with her in a couple of weeks (I am flying to India) how much of an element is my own finance going to be considered?

I am a recent graduate, and am in a "stop" gap job before I get into a proper job, my monthly wage is around £1200 aprox, my mothers private pension comes to £650 per month. My rent is £600 and other expenses are high, but my mother pays the rent as she will be in that property too, but the house is in my name. My account has not been credit as you can imagine with the harsh lives that most graduates face.

So for the spouse visa, can I use my mother as a co-sponsor? What will I have to show to show that her money is her own? She sold a lot of land and that netted some of the money she has in her account now. My financial situation is unlikely to change for a while since I am just out of university. My mum will vouch to helping my wife.

I just need to know what I need to gather to make the strongest application here. My wife and I have only spent 17 days as married couples and are finding the distance extremely distressing. I speak to her 3-4hrs a day and its becoming very expensive to stay in touch. I can't live without her, and if the spouse visa is decline I will have to go to India and give up my settled life here in the UK.

If you need me to state any particulars I will do so. I have read some of what has been said and I will file and index everything properly.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Are my chances of getting my wife a spouse visa good?

Post by sakura » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:15 am

azariahdavid wrote:Hello guys, as with many things in life you only seek information at times of dispair, and I really have tried everywhere now and don't know where to turn.

The particulars of my problem:-

I am a British citizen, my wife and I have been married since April 2007, My wife is highly educated, Bsc Msc, Mphil. (Indian)

My wife has applied for a visitors visa twice now at the VFS in India and they have rejected both of the applications.

The reason for the first application was that she did provide enough evidence of her circumstances in India. Now she is only 24, and has been fully reliant on her parents as she has been in fulltime education for the past 7 years. They also stated that my finances are not in good condition (which they aren't)

Did she include details of her studying? If she's still studying she should have included details that showed her intent to return - job, education, etc.

However, for the second application I included my mother as a Co-Sponsor, she has right of abode in the UK, and has funds in the UK. She also has a significant amount of money in India. Now when the bank statements and private pension slips were handed in, the ECO decided not to take my mother's status into the equation. In fact he did not even mention her pension in the refusal of the visa. He said that the large amount of money in mothers account was suspicious and he needed to know the source of the money.

Further in his comments, he basically states that the purpose of my wives visit is false, and she is not "telling the truth" regarding her intention to visit the UK.

Now my question is, is he saying this because he is suspicious of why a British Citizen is bringing his spouse in on a visitors visa? I am confused.

Let's face it. She's married to a British Citizen living in the UK but only wants to come, apparently (in their view) for a 'visit'? Wouldn't you also think it would be unlikely that she'd return when she says she will, end up not wanting to leave because she'll miss you, and decide to stay? You see, it happens a lot that married couples don't want to be apart any longer, and there would therefore be a high(ish) probability that she would not return. Plus, if you didn't include your mother's financial details - basically, how she gets the money, is it only a pension she receives but her statements read quite high? Then it would appear that you show a lot of money (just for a visit?) from her mother-IN-LAW, which might again indicate that she might not return?

My other question basically is, when I do apply for the spouse visa with her in a couple of weeks (I am flying to India) how much of an element is my own finance going to be considered?

I am a recent graduate, and am in a "stop" gap job before I get into a proper job, my monthly wage is around £1200 aprox, my mothers private pension comes to £650 per month. My rent is £600 and other expenses are high, but my mother pays the rent as she will be in that property too, but the house is in my name. My account has not been credit as you can imagine with the harsh lives that most graduates face.

You need to prove that she won't be a financial burden on the state, basically that you can support her and that she wouldn't have to use public funds (to which she isn't entitled anyway). Your income looks ok, plus you can get your mother to co-sponsor your application, e.g. that she is paying for the accommodation so you will have enough to live on. I do think, though, that you should probably try and get your bank balance in the black.

So for the spouse visa, can I use my mother as a co-sponsor? What will I have to show to show that her money is her own? She sold a lot of land and that netted some of the money she has in her account now. My financial situation is unlikely to change for a while since I am just out of university. My mum will vouch to helping my wife.

I just need to know what I need to gather to make the strongest application here. My wife and I have only spent 17 days as married couples and are finding the distance extremely distressing. I speak to her 3-4hrs a day and its becoming very expensive to stay in touch. I can't live without her, and if the spouse visa is decline I will have to go to India and give up my settled life here in the UK.

No offense to you, but people can be so melodramatic! You can always appeal and/or re-apply for the spouse visa! Hardly anyone has to give up their life here just because of one refusal. So don't panic.

If you need me to state any particulars I will do so. I have read some of what has been said and I will file and index everything properly.
Do a search on this board for spouse visa....some posters have an excellent outline of what you should include in your application. Just search "spouse visa" or "wife", there are very good posts to help you out.

John

Post by John » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:25 am

azariahdavid, i agree with sakura, lots of helpful information on this Board, posted by those that have gone before you.

And I have to say, why was your wife applying for visitor visas? Don't understand that. Almost certainly bound to fail. Why? Because with a visitor visa application there is a need to show that the person will return, that is, to show good "reasons to return". But here are you in the UK, so why would your wife want to return???

But a spouse visa application is entirely different. No need to show any "reasons to return", indeed just the opposite, it needs to be clear that the person will settle in the UK on their settlement-class visa.
John

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:52 pm

I just can not get it. Why your wife is applying for visitors visa while she is eligible for spouse visa?

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:54 pm

The reason she applied for the visitors was due to the time she thought it would take for the spouse visa. Her passport took a while to be issued, so she just wanted to come and see me asap, unfortunately we didn't anticipate such issues with the visitors visa.

I have read the comments on the board, and will take them into consideration when I make my application in Mid August. Thanks guys :)

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Yes, this egyptian man seems to have some detailed information.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=17725
and also see here...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15729

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:06 am

You are all talking about support from the sponsor's mother (and applicant's mother-in-law). 3rd party support isn't an option in these circumstances! The AIT recently decided this in a reported case. AM (3rd party support not permitted R281 (v)) Ethiopia [2007] UKAIT 00058.

"20. The Rules make specific provision for a very wide range of circumstances under which individuals seeking entry clearance may be granted such clearance. Paragraph 281(v) and paragraph 297(v) both require, in our view, that the resources referred to must be those of the parties alone in 281(v) and of the parents alone in 297(v). There are additional and sound child protection reasons why 297(v) is properly interpreted as held in AA Bangladesh. Under paragraph 281(v), as here, the purpose of the rule is to facilitate the reunion of spouses who are expected to maintain themselves from their own resources.

21. Indeed, the structure and wording of paragraph 281 of the Rules focuses the requirements of the Rules on the two individuals who wish to benefit from them; the spouse or civil partner with rights to be in the UK, and the spouse or civil partner who seeks to join that person. The parties must have met (281(ii), they must intend to live permanently with each other and the marriage must be subsisting (281(iii). The accommodation must be adequate and owned and occupied exclusively by one or other of the parties to the relationship (281(iv). This all points clearly to the need for the two persons involved to satisfy the Rules personally without reference to any third parties. So with maintenance. Paragraph 281(v) in our judgement requires the resources to be those of the parties alone."
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:49 pm

avjones wrote:You are all talking about support from the sponsor's mother (and applicant's mother-in-law). 3rd party support isn't an option in these circumstances! The AIT recently decided this in a reported case. AM (3rd party support not permitted R281 (v)) Ethiopia [2007] UKAIT 00058.

"20. The Rules make specific provision for a very wide range of circumstances under which individuals seeking entry clearance may be granted such clearance. Paragraph 281(v) and paragraph 297(v) both require, in our view, that the resources referred to must be those of the parties alone in 281(v) and of the parents alone in 297(v). There are additional and sound child protection reasons why 297(v) is properly interpreted as held in AA Bangladesh. Under paragraph 281(v), as here, the purpose of the rule is to facilitate the reunion of spouses who are expected to maintain themselves from their own resources.

21. Indeed, the structure and wording of paragraph 281 of the Rules focuses the requirements of the Rules on the two individuals who wish to benefit from them; the spouse or civil partner with rights to be in the UK, and the spouse or civil partner who seeks to join that person. The parties must have met (281(ii), they must intend to live permanently with each other and the marriage must be subsisting (281(iii). The accommodation must be adequate and owned and occupied exclusively by one or other of the parties to the relationship (281(iv). This all points clearly to the need for the two persons involved to satisfy the Rules personally without reference to any third parties. So with maintenance. Paragraph 281(v) in our judgement requires the resources to be those of the parties alone."
Hey! Now that spoils everything! :lol:

But - that really is news to me! So, this means that all applications now cannot involve third-party support, or does it depend?

Is this a case law or is there a further appeal or something?

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm

:( What am I supposed to do now? My wife's family are really poor and they don't have any liquid funds at all. Can my mum still say she supports me or something? I am extremely worried about this now, are there any ways around this?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:24 pm

azariahdavid wrote::( What am I supposed to do now? My wife's family are really poor and they don't have any liquid funds at all. Can my mum still say she supports me or something? I am extremely worried about this now, are there any ways around this?
Is your financial situation really in a bad state or can you get yourself in a more confortable position after a few months?

If you can get your finances sorted out, then I would suggest to try to do that first and once you have done that apply for a spousal visa for your wife with all the proof / documentation and she shouldn't have any issues in getting one.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Amanda - you knew about AM v Ethiopia, the rest of us didn't!!!

When was it released for public consumption? I didn't know about it until it was handed to me before my hearing on Monday morning, and on calling collegues and other immigration professionals it was news to them as well. JCWI and ILPA must have known about it, but why no outcry?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Could I do it this way?

Saying that my mother pays for 70% of the rent on the property, and she will continue to do so when she in the UK (She has right of abode) That will bring my outgoings down by roughly £450.

So I am paying for the rest of the rent on the property. The residual income; around £600 should surely be enough for my wife and I? Plus she is very highly educated and jobs I have searched for her come with immediate starts etc if she comes here.

Even if my mother was the co-sponsor, her input would always be minor compared to mine.

Reading the case, it seems very specific, and the case itself sounds very suspect. Surely my situation is very different. As for me being in my over draft, my stuent overdraft is interest free, since I have just left university. Should I mention things like that when I write my letter? I have also done 300hrs of overtime over the past 4 months, and I have earned over my actual salary.

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 pm

I have just realised I have to be the "sole" owner of the property, but I am just wondering what happens in circumstances where there are more than one people at the property. I am in a five bedroom house and my intention was so that the whole family would be living together, this would consist of myself, my mother and my sister. Both of them have "right of abode" through my late father.

I was thinking, if my mother is residing at my property, her rental contribution is so she can stay at the same adress, as such it isn't really support is it? Its paying for her stay. She has enough means to survive through my late fathers private pension.

It does seem that the immigration is rather a cultural issue too, most Asian families work in a different way to western families. The married couples in Asian families still have an extended family living with them. I am not sure how I should write my sponsor letter. It sounds like I am going to be facing more and more trouble as time goes by :(

Bah.. I should have married her when I was in a better financial situation.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 pm

sakura wrote: Hey! Now that spoils everything! :lol:

But - that really is news to me! So, this means that all applications now cannot involve third-party support, or does it depend?

This is a binding case from the AIT. I've not heard whether it's being appealed, but I'll try to find out - I know one of the barristers in that case.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:52 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Amanda - you knew about AM v Ethiopia, the rest of us didn't!!!

When was it released for public consumption? I didn't know about it until it was handed to me before my hearing on Monday morning, and on calling collegues and other immigration professionals it was news to them as well. JCWI and ILPA must have known about it, but why no outcry?

Victoria
Hi Victoria - it was promulgated some time ago. It's definitely on EIN (do you subscribe to EIN?) and is also on the AIT website. It's a MAJOR pain in the neck.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:09 am

avjones wrote:
sakura wrote: Hey! Now that spoils everything! :lol:

This is a binding case from the AIT. I've not heard whether it's being appealed, but I'll try to find out - I know one of the barristers in that case.
If it is appealed - can you take us through the steps? So after the AIT, which courts do they have access to? I bet this would probably go to the European Courts of Justice or something! Dragging it out for months. I think I'll read up on the case to see just how much third-party support the applicants had.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:25 am

After the AIT on reconsideration, appeal lies to the Court of Appeal. Grounds need to be put in on paper, and they are sent firstly to the AIT itself. They can grant or refuse permission on the papers. If refused, the application can be renewed on the papers to the Court of Appeal. If refused by a Court of Appeal judge on the papers, it can be renewed orally, and heard by a single Court of Appeal judge who can grant or refuse permission to appeal.

If at any stage permission is granted, it goes for a full hearing in the Court of Appeal. Usually 3 Lord Justices hear the case.

The losing party in the CA can apply for a question of general public importance to be certified to the House of Lords.

The European Court of Human Rights only comes into play if all domestic remedies are exhausted.

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:29 am

Well, after coming to India, and submitting everything carefully she has been invited for an interview. Is this a good sign? I am not sure if in settlement cases its a good sign or not :( I am still a bit scared.

What is she likely to expect during the interview. It says on the VFS form that she can take more information in. So we are going to submit some more photos from India now (where I have come to visit) and some jobs that she has possibilities of getting.

I'll keep you all updated.

ilm

Post by ilm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:40 am

I would suggest that is a good sign. It is certainly better than a rejection without an interview.

An interview is completely normal and is to ensure application is geniuine.

Just ensure your wife answers all questions honestly and that they correspond with what is written in the application. I trust your wife knows what was in the application and you both have discussed plans when she gets to the UK?

If anything like my wifes interview they will ask you wife about you, your employment, your education, your salary, your family etc, also they could ask about the marriage, plans for life in the UK, where you will live, size of house etc. All very basic stuff if you are genuinely married and plan a life together. Nothing really to get worried about.

They may have more specific questions if some of the points are not completely demonstrated in the application.

Best of luck.

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:44 pm

She has gone for the interview and she has finished her medical checkup now. The DHC has said that there is no problem with the actual application and the visa will be issued pending the medical check-up. Is this the usual process or am I likely to experience any other issues? I am just so scared about it all at the moment :(

azariahdavid
Newly Registered

Post by azariahdavid » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Well thanks for the advice guys :D My wife is now in the UK. I am so happy and over the damn moon. Third party support needs to be presented properly I guess. I didnt use a co-sponsor. I just said that my mum will contribute to the rent for her stay. Which is true. She got her passport back on Tuesday, and she arrived here yesterday :D

I thank all of you for re-assuring me there is hope! If any of you need any further details from my case please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 am

Congratulations! Glad it all worked out. Have a long and happy life together in the UK.
John

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:49 am

Many congratulation. Goodluck with your life (Wife) in UK. Oh yeah! she had to do her life in UK test in 2 years time to apply ILR.

Prem

Post by Prem » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 am

Just wanted to add my congratulations as well :D what a relief it must be.

Have sent you a PM

Cheers

Prem

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:40 am

Congratulations!