ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lifelong validity endorsement

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gbhsmp

Lifelong validity endorsement

Post by gbhsmp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:45 am

http://www.indemb.no/oci.html
Affixing of 'U'(Universal) visa sticker on the foreign passports of OCI card holders has been dispensed with immediate effect by the Government of India. New OCI applicants will be issued with only OCI booklet with an endorsement of 'Visa Validity-Lifelong'

This is as per the circular too.
Has anyone who had recently received their OCI see any such endorsement in their OCI booklet ?
Since UK is still in the old process of 'U' visa, are UK applicants falling in the crack between the old and the new rule ?
Are we supposed to go for the misc services for edorsement in OCI booklet for lifelong visa ?

ban.s

Re: Lifelong validity endorsement

Post by ban.s » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm

The existing OCI booklets already contain a sentence that state life long visa validity - I am not sure what enhancements they would be making.

anonimouse
Newly Registered

Post by anonimouse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:07 pm

@ban.s - I cannot find any reference or a sentence that describes the words "Visa" or "Life-long validity". Perhaps, your OCI booklet is different to mine?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:25 pm

I was referring to the page 3 of the booklet.

anonimouse
Newly Registered

Post by anonimouse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Ok thanks.

However, due to my previous experiences with disgruntled officials who take out their frustrations by nit-picking, I am unwilling to put my faith in this vague clause which does not state 'life-long validity' and the word 'visa' implies that another piece of information is still required, whether it is a sticker in a passport or an endorsement elsewhere. IMHO, this clause is worded ambiguously and revolves around the OCI registered individual entitled/granted certain benefits based on correct information printed on the inside of front and back cover of the booklet - which supersedes anything else.

I genuinely wish good luck to anyone who feels that none of this matters and willing to take chances. I would still be seeking the same information requested by the op and make sure it is accurate before I travel again.

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:53 pm

anonimouse wrote: IMHO, this clause is worded ambiguously and revolves around the OCI registered individual entitled/granted certain benefits based on correct information printed on the inside of front and back cover of the booklet - which supersedes anything else.
The whole OCI itself is worded ambiguously. In whatever manner you read it shows that we are citizens of India but infact we are not and we are not even close to being a Citizen. No voting, no ration card, no resident bank accounts, NRI fees for children etc.,
Sometimes I repent (probably this is what INDIA wants and has succeeded well) for getting my British Citizenship and losing my INDIAN one since I had from begining plans to go back to INDIA for a long time.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:40 pm

if you want you can regain Indian citizenship after an year long stay in india with OCI - albeit losing British Citizenship.

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:37 pm

ban.s wrote:if you want you can regain Indian citizenship after an year long stay in india with OCI - albeit losing British Citizenship.
IS it not a 5year long stay ? I have to spend 5 years from the date of registration in the OCI and in the 5years last 1yr must be in INDIA. By that time I think for my age it would not matter if I am on OCI or not.
I also pray that by that time the DUAL citizenship bills are approved and we all gain dual citizenship.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 pm

5(1)(f) of indian citizenship act

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 am

ban.s wrote:5(1)(f) of indian citizenship act
Please see 5(1)(g). It is 5yrs for OCI to get back INDIAN citizenship. it is 5yrs of which last 1yr the person must be resident in INDIA.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 am

not all OCI holders were indian citizen's before or child of Indian citizens (such as OCI's through parent/grant parents routes, and as per new rules spouses)

hence 5(1)(g) is for people that don't qualify for 5(1)(f)

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:20 pm

ban.s wrote:not all OCI holders were indian citizen's before or child of Indian citizens (such as OCI's through parent/grant parents routes, and as per new rules spouses)

hence 5(1)(g) is for people that don't qualify for 5(1)(f)
Oh wow ! that is very good then. That means if I want (sigh) then I can get back my Indian citizenship in 1 year !
Wonder how many people have done this before !

No experiences about this and i guess this will be very little set of people who would want that.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:12 pm

as per existing rules, this one year stay needs to be continuous however, the new citizenship bill will allow upto 30 days of absence, so one needs to stay 11 of 12 months in India preceeding any such application.
so good news to whoever wishes to explore these options.