ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR after I have left the UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tommi333
Newly Registered

EEA PR after I have left the UK

Post by tommi333 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Hello,

I had lived in the UK for continuous period of 5 years (actually more than 5 years) but I have recently moved back to my home country. I am planning to go back in a forseeable future and would like to apply for permanent residency. I am wondering, is it possible for me to still apply for it just on the basis that I have lived there for those 5 years or do I seize to have the opportunity to do so just because I have spent the last 3 months or so out of the country? Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Tom

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: EEA PR after I have left the UK

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:02 am

Possible as long as you are not away for more than 2 years (then PR status is lost).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:59 pm

tommi333 wrote:Hello,

I had lived in the UK for continuous period of 5 years (actually more than 5 years) but I have recently moved back to my home country. I am planning to go back in a forseeable future and would like to apply for permanent residency. I am wondering, is it possible for me to still apply for it just on the basis that I have lived there for those 5 years or do I seize to have the opportunity to do so just because I have spent the last 3 months or so out of the country? Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Tom
How long are you going to be away from the UK?

tommi333
Newly Registered

Post by tommi333 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:34 pm

chaoclive wrote:
tommi333 wrote:Hello,

Regards,

Tom
How long are you going to be away from the UK?
Thank you very much for your replies. I am still not sure but I think that in total I will be away for around six months. The problem is that by the time I come back, I won't be fulfilling the criteria of being in the UK for more than 6 months in that given year due to previous absences. In fact, I don't think I fulfill it now anymore. So in terms of the application, shall I just state the dates when I left the UK and it will be fine?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:13 am

I think any period of 6 months outside the UK will render any status that you previously held here null and void. Hope someone else can weigh in with some more info.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 am

The 6 months absence refers to the 5 years. Once PR is obtained (automatically), it is only lost after an absence of 2 years.

For the application you will need to show 5 continuous years of treaty rights and that you have not been away for the UK for more than 2 years (if those 5 years are in the past).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)