ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport vs Indian passport for a new born baby

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vishus06
Newly Registered

British Passport vs Indian passport for a new born baby

Post by vishus06 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi,

I am in UK from past 5 years and just now I got my ILR. My baby was born in UK but having Indian citizenship.

Now I am confused, should I go for UK Passport or should I go for ILR stamp for my Kid? so that he can decide later (at the age of 18) whether he would like to go for India or UK Citizenship.

According to me,
Benefits of having Indian citizenship and UK ILR are:
He can decide his own future at the age of 18
Tax benefits in UK (inheritance tax - such as on inherited property from Parents etc)

Benefits of having UK Citizenship and Indian OCI are:
Red colour passport (no need to take visa for Europe and many other countries)

Could you please suggest me some other pros and cons (or your valuable views) on this topic?

Thanks very much in advance

Vishu

vishus06
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport vs Indian passport for a new born baby

Post by vishus06 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Please share your views.

Thanks !!

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Was your child born before or after you got ilr?

vishus06
Newly Registered

Post by vishus06 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Greenie,

He born before I got the ILR.

Thanks !!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Then your child is not a British Citizen. Does the child have a current valid visa?

You register him as British on MN1 or apply ILR, the choice would is yours. Not sure of the impact on this once he turns 18 though but would think he could still apply as he would have ILR and the required residence anyway for form AN as an adult later on.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vishus06
Newly Registered

Post by vishus06 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Yes, he is an Indian Citizen and doesn't have valid UK visa at the moment.

Can I still go got MN1 application form or do i need to apply for ILR first then AN application?

Regards !!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:40 pm

AN application
This is for adult applications.

You can register the child on MN1 under section 1(3) as he was born in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:57 am

In this specific situation, I recommend that the OP do the following in the sequence below

a) Get an Indian passport for his child
b) Get the child registered as British under Section 1(3) with Form MN.
c) Apply for a Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode (CoE-RoA) to be stamped in the Indian passport.

Indian law allows for dual citizenship of minors. They however lose their Indian citizenship if they have exercised their other citizenships by for example, applying for foreign passports. However, it seems to be fine with a CoE-RoA in an Indian passport as it does not indicate citizenship, only the right to stay in the UK.

That way, the child will be fully British and Indian simultaneously till the age of 18 when s/he must decide which citizenship s/he wants to continue.

The downside of the ILR approach is that once the child is 18 or over, s/he can not be registered (to which s/he has an entitlement as a minor), but must go through the whole naturalisation process. And given the amount of flux in that process, we do not know what that will look like 18 years from now.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:05 am

secret.simon wrote:In this specific situation, I recommend that the OP do the following in the sequence below

a) Get an Indian passport for his child
b) Get the child registered as British under Section 1(3) with Form MN.
c) Apply for a Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode (CoE-RoA) to be stamped in the Indian passport.

Indian law allows for dual citizenship of minors. They however lose their Indian citizenship if they have exercised their other citizenships by for example, applying for foreign passports. However, it seems to be fine with a CoE-RoA in an Indian passport as it does not indicate citizenship, only the right to stay in the UK.

That way, the child will be fully British and Indian simultaneously till the age of 18 when s/he must decide which citizenship s/he wants to continue.

The downside of the ILR approach is that once the child is 18 or over, s/he can not be registered (to which s/he has an entitlement as a minor), but must go through the whole naturalisation process. And given the amount of flux in that process, we do not know what that will look like 18 years from now.
I don't think your advice is correct. Once the child is granted BC following registration application, the child loses Indian citizenship.

This is different to a child who is dual national from Birth (for example born in the UK to Indian parents holding ILR) in which case, he can keep both nationalities if he doesn't exercise the British citizenship by applying for a passport.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

vishus06
Newly Registered

Post by vishus06 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Jambo,

So, what should be the correct process in this case?

Thanks !!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 am

Your child is Indian and should need a valid visa if he travels abroad (and wants to return to the UK). Your child can apply to become British and lose his Indian citizenship.

It is your decision what to do.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)