ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British with a non EU partner

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chickadee
Newly Registered

British with a non EU partner

Post by chickadee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I am British, my partner is a non EU citizen and we are not married. We are planning to move to Germany or the Netherlands to live and work permanently if possible.

Does he need a visa to enter either Germany or the Netherlands with me? I have been doing research however everything I read is about "spouses" which as far as I'm aware only applies to married couples?

I am aware that within 90 days he has to register EEA Family Permit, however we require to know the steps beforehand.

Any help would be appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British with a non EU partner

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

It would help if you stated what nationality your partner is?

How long have you and your partner been or lived together?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:48 am

chickadee wrote:I am British, my partner is a non EU citizen and we are not married. We are planning to move to Germany or the Netherlands to live and work permanently if possible.

Does he need a visa to enter either Germany or the Netherlands with me? I have been doing research however everything I read is about "spouses" which as far as I'm aware only applies to married couples?

I am aware that within 90 days he has to register EEA Family Permit, however we require to know the steps beforehand.

Any help would be appreciated.
Germany does not accept unmarried relationships for immigration purposes.

So, if it's to be Germany, first step: get married

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:30 pm

The Netherlands does allow unmarried partner migration, IF they are in a "durable, exclusive and genuine" relationship. What exactly makes a relationship meet these demands is a bit vague but it a relationship of 6-12 months should be sufficient. You will want to inquire with the authorities to see if you can apply under freedom of movement (D. 2004/38/EC). Contact the IND (immigration department, for immigration quiries) and embassy (for the free, fast, simple EU/EEA visa procedure).

I know people who succesfully got the free visa as unmarried partners, and by that route the IND should be okay with this to I guess but I don't know what their guidelines say. You could chose to enter on a short stay (type C) visa or on a type D (longstay, immigration) visa.

https://ind.nl/en