ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship after 5 years Surrinder Singh

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mymorg

Citizenship after 5 years Surrinder Singh

Post by Mymorg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:51 am

Hello!

Me and my husband (I am American, he is British) have been living in the UK since October 10 2013. However, we have spent about... 5 months outside of the uk travelling. We will also be going to the us this April to the end of May.
After five years of the EEA2 permit is up, we would like for me to apply for British citizenship.
We travel a lot. But we're told not to leave the uk for more than 6 months out of the year if we wanted me to get permanent residence. and that after five years we could apply for a passport right away.
HOWEVER.
It now says the guidelines for getting a British passport are as follows:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national) - this means there’s no specific date that you have to leave
had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national)
not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

So, wait. All of the sudden we can't spend more that 450 days outside of the uk? Does this apply to us? All in all we will have spent roughly 7 months outside the uk within the past two years... So we can still apply for a passport for me in 2018... Correct?

Thanks for the help, this is all confusing. We like to travel so it's important for me to know if I can or not.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Citizenship after 5 years Surrinder Singh

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 am

The rules for PR (upto 6 months absence) and naturalisation are different. As you are married to BC, the residential requirements for you (when you apply after 5 years) would be:
* less than 270 days in the 3 years before the application.
* less than 90 days in the 1 year before the application.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Mymorg

Post by Mymorg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 am

Thank you so much for clarifying, Joppa.
I read the FAQ (not to mention the in depth resident requirements on the gov.uk page) after I had posted... So I apologise for not thoroughly checking before I posted. It's just that I happened to look on the residence requirement page and saw the date guidelines and I was shocked because I didn't recall seeing them before... Though, then we were more concerned with getting the EEA permit at all in the first place.
Aside, it also looks like some discretion is possible with the time, so long as it is proven the uk our home... Though I wouldn't really risk it!

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 am

Mymorg wrote:Thank you so much for clarifying, Joppa.
Now where did I hear that name before?! :lol:
Manka