ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling without a BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anniecc

Travelling without a BRP

Post by anniecc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:55 pm

My BRP was stolen in a burglary at my home and I've applied for a replacement card. Because the card was issued less than two years ago I didn't have to send my passport in with the application.

I have overseas travel booked for May - the booking was made before the BRP was stolen. Will I still be able to travel if I use my passport and the letters indicating I have applied for a replacement BRP?

As an aside, the letters I've had from the Home Office indicate the replacement card could take up to six months. It appears that an application for a replacement card is treated as a new ILR application for the purposes of processing times and service standards. This is crazy! All they need to do is print a new card which is identical to the old card.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling without a BRP

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Not advisable to travel without your BRP. Also unlikely airlines will allow you to board without proof that you have he right to re-enter the UK.

What is your nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Nationality is New Zealand, with ILR. I would be travelling with my partner who is a British citizen and two relatives who are visiting from NZ and will be entering as visitors.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Also, I know it's probably not recommended to travel without a BRP, but my question is whether it is possible. This is a trip which has been years in the planning.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:22 pm

I would be wary as if they admit you as a visitor when you return, it could invalidate your ILR.

How long will you be away for?

When did you apply for the replacement BRP?

Do you have the letter you got when you recieved ILR or a copy of your BRP?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 pm

I am planning to be away for 12 days.

I applied for the replacement BRP in early March and submitted biometrics on 23 March - 3 weeks ago now.

Yes I have the original letter I received when I was approved for ILR, but I don't have a copy of the BRP itself. I also have a letter from the Home Office confirming that my BRP was reported stolen.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:21 am

I know of an NZer in a similar situation late last year. On the return trip the airline was heistant to allow them to board and they had to sign a waiver meaning they would be liable for return airfaire costs if refused entry (which otherwise the airline would have to bear).

Once at the UK border they were looked up and admitted under their Ancestry visa without issue.

Hence the biggest hurdle is with the airline - it's very difficult to get a straight answer on this as this guy had been advised over the phone there would be no issue - you will really only know when checking in.