ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

louise.

views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:11 pm

I hold both at present Irish and British passport and am in the process of renouncing British citizenship in order to bring my american husband here via EEA permit . I read and have been told many a time that renouncing is a huge step , (me personally dont see how it is, please feel free to enlighten me there) however i read a while ago and it wasnt on here that someone who is in the same position as me was basically told that they dont know where we stand in years to come if UK leaves the EU and basically if we did leave the Eu theres a chance us Non British citizens could be asked to leave . I was shocked at that statement as i dont believe that if we did leave the EU that all EU citizens would be asked to leave, to me thats seems bizarre and somewhat not legal. Besides isnt Irish citizens always deemed as having right of perm abode due to the partition back in 1926 and that is something entirely different to the EU? Please correct me if im wrong.

However it got me thinking. What are your views? and to the people already renounced, is it something you regretted? are you concerned about the future prospects of a possibility of Uk leaving the EU and do you feel it would affect you?

Me personally, i would not hesitate a move to Ireland , i would have already moved there if it wasnt for kids exams. I have always considered myself Irish than British even before i became a citizen.

I look forward to all your views and opinions and to even be educated by yourselves.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:10 pm

I'M SURE YOU KNOW MY OPINION ALREADY LOUSE, BUT I AM JUST ADDING THIS AGAIN FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS CONSIDERING THIS OPTION.
louise. wrote: However it got me thinking. What are your views? and to the people already renounced, is it something you regretted? are you concerned about the future prospects of a possibility of Uk leaving the EU and do you feel it would affect you? NO REGRETS; NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN MY LIFE; I GET WORKING TAX CREDITS/I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY SAVINGS ACCOUNTS/I HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK/I GET THE SAME HEALTHCARE AS BEFORE/MY KIDS WOULD BE ENTITLED TO EDUCATION ETC HERE (NOT THAT I WILL BE HAVING ANY) AND MY NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS STILL STAND AS IS. I DO NOT VIEW THE RENUNCIATION AS ANYTHING IMPORTANT; IT HAS ENABLED ME TO BE WITH MY PARTNER WITHOUT DANCING AROUND EUROPE TO DO SURINDER SINGH OR MOVING TO IRELAND TO WORK (THIS WOULD HAVE REQUIRED GETTING A PPSN/OPENING BANK ACCOUNTS ETC).

EVEN IF THE UK LEAVES THE EU, IRISH CITIZENS (DUE TO THE COMMON TRAVEL AREA) HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE UK. IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF THE UK GOVERNMENT SAID THAT ALL IRISH PEOPLE HAD TO LEAVE THE UK? CONSIDER THE SITUATION IN NORTHERN IRELAND WITH ALL THE TROUBLE THAT WOULD COME!

Me personally, i would not hesitate a move to Ireland , i would have already moved there if it wasnt for kids exams. I have always considered myself Irish than British even before i became a citizen. OF COURSE, A MOVE TO IRELAND WOULD BE A POSSIBILITY, EVEN THOUGH IT IS UNLIKELY TO BE NECESSARY.

I look forward to all your views and opinions and to even be educated by yourselves.
SEE HERE FOR MY FOI REQUEST RE: RENUNCIATION: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-572264

louise.

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi chaoclive, hope your well and thank you for your valuable input as always :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:57 pm

chaoclive did you have to notify your GP about your renunciation? Also as you mentioned working tax credits im already in receipt of them do i need to notify them too?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:59 pm

louise. wrote:chaoclive did you have to notify your GP about your renunciation? Also as you mentioned working tax credits im already in receipt of them do i need to notify them too?

I asked tax credits. they said it is of no consequence whether i was british or irish. i did tell my current GP as i registered with a new one since registration but i don't see why it would be a concern of theirs. you are entitled to health care and you are paying tax/national insurance.

louise.

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm

ok thank you , i work part time so i dont pay enough to be taxed, does that make a difference?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

louise. wrote:ok thank you , i work part time so i dont pay enough to be taxed, does that make a difference?
nope. no difference at all.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm

I am curious. Prior to renouncing British citizenship, have you in the past primarily made use of your British citizenship or your Irish citizenship? When you needed to use a passport for identifying yourself when travelling and applying for a job, which would you use?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I am curious. Prior to renouncing British citizenship, have you in the past primarily made use of your British citizenship or your Irish citizenship? When you needed to use a passport for identifying yourself when travelling and applying for a job, which would you use?

I used both at different times; I used to work in Germany and used my Irish passport, but when I worked in China I was British some times and then Irish for others. I generally had no reason to use one passport over the other. I've always though that I was a dual citizen simply because I was born in NI; as I never worked to gain either, I never really cared about having either one of the citizenships. I have, however, always valued being a citizen of an EU country.

I always used to explain to people that I was both British and Irish. The only times I consciously made a choice about which passport to use when crossing a border was in Hong Kong as British people are allowed to stay longer than Irish people and when I was traveling into the USA (my ESTA was in my Irish passport).

Oh, I opened my bank account in the UK using my driving license as it is always in my wallet. I can't remember which proof of citizenship I used when joining a new company, but it would have been whichever passport was closest at the time.

Now, I can only say I'm Irish so there's no question about which passport I'll be using in the future! Haha.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

For what it is worth, I think the British government has probably incorrectly incorporated McCarthy into their free movement law. See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... y-british/ for more details.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:For what it is worth, I think the British government has probably incorrectly incorporated McCarthy into their free movement law. See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... y-british/ for more details.
Not sure that I agree with this interpretation. Hasn't it always been the case that you are not considered as 'exercising treaty rights' in a country of which you are a citizen?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF
Article 3 (1)
Beneficiaries
1. This Directive shall apply to all Union citizens who move to or reside in a Member State other
than that of which they are a national
, and to their family members as defined in point 2 of Article 2
who accompany or join them.

louise.

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 pm

The cost of renunciation has gone up from 144 pounds to 223 pounds! seems unbelievable.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 pm

louise. wrote:The cost of renunciation has gone up from 144 pounds to 223 pounds! seems unbelievable.
Think it was 185 (-ish) when I renounced; then it went down...now it's up again! Wow.

louise.

Post by louise. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 pm

yeah I was shocked, I was just on the gov website and looking at the payment form and noticed the new price from beginning of april 2015. This probably a stupid question but i have a non colour printer so my form in b/w but on the down load page its in blue and white, should i be worried? and be re printing?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 pm

louise. wrote:yeah I was shocked, I was just on the gov website and looking at the payment form and noticed the new price from beginning of april 2015. This probably a stupid question but i have a non colour printer so my form in b/w but on the down load page its in blue and white, should i be worried? and be re printing?
mine was black and white but i doubt very much that will be a problem

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:10 am

chaoclive, Im posting my form off today for renouncing, and i was on the gov website and this below has confused me

"If you got your citizenship or status through descent from your parent or grandparent, you’ll need to send documents proving:

their citizenship or status
your relationship to them"

Along side my application, fee im just sending my two passports,its seems the above is irrelevant to me as my irish passport shows my nationality. Is what im sending correct? the home office page is at times not clear to me.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:57 pm

louise. wrote:chaoclive, Im posting my form off today for renouncing, and i was on the gov website and this below has confused me

"If you got your citizenship or status through descent from your parent or grandparent, you’ll need to send documents proving:

their citizenship or status
your relationship to them"

Along side my application, fee im just sending my two passports,its seems the above is irrelevant to me as my irish passport shows my nationality. Is what im sending correct? the home office page is at times not clear to me.
Hi there, my citizenship was by birth so I didn't provide anything else.

However, if you are sending both of your passports then you probably don't need to provide anything beyond your passport, as, as you note, this confirms that you have Irish citizenship. I would probably add a cover letter stating that you are willing to provide other documents IF they require them. I don't think they will need anything else though.

Did you sent the self-addressed envelope?

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi hope you had a good day and yes i did provide a self addressed envelope too. I did find it odd why i would need to provide my descent to them after all i had to do so already to get the passport. Im sending two original passports, self addressed envelope and application and payment form. Here we go another waiting game . :|

When my husband goes to get his PR doe he need to do any tests like english etc ? he mentioned it the other day i thought surely not he speaks english, or is there life in Britain test he has to do, or even do I?

Thanks for helping my husband and I through this .

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Oh i forgot to add in case anyone finds this useful, i took the plunge and called the housing direct and they said renouncing my British citizenship and being Irish wont affect my tenancy , however once i renounce i will just need to send them proof eg irish passport and renunciation confirmation and they just adjust my tenancy details.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 pm

louise. wrote:Hi hope you had a good day and yes i did provide a self addressed envelope too. I did find it odd why i would need to provide my descent to them after all i had to do so already to get the passport. Im sending two original passports, self addressed envelope and application and payment form. Here we go another waiting game . :|

When my husband goes to get his PR doe he need to do any tests like english etc ? he mentioned it the other day i thought surely not he speaks english, or is there life in Britain test he has to do, or even do I?

Thanks for helping my husband and I through this .
I think it would have been if you hadn't got your passport but there's no question with yours!

No tests are needed for PR (it's all focused on him living with you and you providing proof of exercising treaty rights for the 5 years needed for PR). If he ever wanted to get British citizenship, he would need to take the Life in the UK test, but, as he's from the USA, he wouldn't need to take an English test. You will not need to take anything for PR either (some people question the value for an Irish citizen applying for PR int he UK as we can live here no matter what, at least until the law changes; which I don't think will happen).

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Thank you :)

edited as re read :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:18 pm

hope it not months for renunciation. :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:15 pm

How quickly (or not) does the home office process payment for renunciation in your case/s?. I found it frustrating i couldnt use a postal order, so i wouldnt have to keep an eye to make sure they debit the fee from my bank.

louise.

Post by louise. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi sorry i have another question, do i need to leave the Uk and re enter once i renounced to get my EEA permit ? i read on another post something about re entering? and someone was asking how to show they lived abroad with their partner why would they need to show that? or is that something entirely different to my circumstance as im already settled and working here? I came back from the States back in january after a week of being there with my husband.

All this confuses me . :?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:35 pm

If you are married to an EU citizen who is legally resident in the UK, then you are legally resident in the UK (based solely on your marriage).

No need to leave and enter.