ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any naturalisation application refused ? WHY?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Any naturalisation application refused ? WHY?

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 am

I think that one of the most important points your partner seems to have missed is that to qualify for citizenship, you have to have 5 years or 3 years if married to a British citizen, valid legal stay/status. They do not count any time that an applicant was in the UK illegally towards the residence period. The fact that your partner was working without the right to work has also compounded this fact as HO has pointed out.

I feel that the HO's decision was correct.

Based on the changes in December 2014 regarding good character, your partner should be able to apply for citizenship in March 2024.

There really isn't anything you can do as you cannot appeal a refused citizenship application and you also lose the fee that you have paid. You can ask for a reconsideration at a cost of £80, but it is unlikely that your partner will be successful.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

san2014

Post by san2014 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 am

Sorry but you can not say they made a right decision, thats no nice from your side!!! As you don't know everything :(

First of all, when he did application was May and the law changed in Dcember so for this reason no one knew.

So his application should had finished in 9 November and get a positive decision (HO is wrong for not proceeding on time his application) they just did for the money thats it.

How many other people got their approval before December?
(I know few people with the same situation)

So for this reason you better don't say anything if you don't have sth nice :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:25 am

I am only pointing out the facts. You might not like what is being said but they are facts none the less.

What is your partners full immigration history in the UK?
How did your partner enter the UK?
Has your partner at any point prior to his ILR had any form of valid UK visa?
What is the nationality of your partner?

fwd079 and cs95tdg have asked about your partners immigration history, which would be helpful to understand the sequence of events.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:27 am

We try to help each other resolve our immigration issues on these forums and at times, it involves stating unvarnished facts and not being nice.

Your partner was in breach of immigration laws for almost nine years. As mentioned by CR001, we do not know the whole immigration history, such as whether he was a refugee or an asylum seeker. If he were, they are mitigating circumstances that you can take up with the Home Office. If he is not, the Home Office would look askance at giving citizenship to somebody who has broken the law for such a long period of time.

I have written in the other thread that you have posted in.
secret.simon wrote:The rules regarding the definition of good character were modified in December 2014 (I think, 11th December 2014, but I'm not certain).

As the changes only involve redefining what good character means (good character has been a requirement since 1983), from other comments in this forum, it is impacting even applications which were submitted earlier but were not decided by then.
The Home Office used to refuse citizenship for people with criminal offenses, but surprisingly did not do so for people with immigration offenses. When that fact was pointed out to them, the definition of good character was updated to reflect the fact that immigration offenses are also offenses against the law and hence should be refused.

With respect, your partner broke the law, he broke it for a significant period of time, he does not appear to have mitigating circumstances and it appears that the Home Office made the correct decision. I am only very surprised that he has not been deprived of his ILR (which the Home Office can do) for such a flagrant breach of the law.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:32 am

Good response secret.simon. Sugar coating responses is not going to help anyone but unfortunately many people post and re-post waiting to hear a response that they want to hear.
secret.simon wrote:With respect, your partner broke the law, he broke it for a significant period of time, he does not appear to have mitigating circumstances and it appears that the Home Office made the correct decision. I am only very surprised that he has not been deprived of his ILR (which the Home Office can do) for such a flagrant breach of the law.
With regards to the quoted text above, I am surprised that the partner got ILR at all due to the fact that there was no legal stay prior to ILR grant. But as you say, until we understand or know the immigration history of the partner (asylum, refugee or other), it is difficult to advise appropriately.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

san2014

Post by san2014 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 am

I understand that we give opinion on these matters.
But also we have to understand the feeling of other people too. :cry:

When he entered was a child.
His status is as a aslym seeker.
Before people was working and getting their insurance number because was different. Now if you don't have a visa forget it.

Also when you still in process with the HO to settle in this country you should work because how you going to survive?!!
In the moment that you get the answer from the HO or the court that is NO you don't have more rights to stay.
If you get an answer YES (in his case they gave the right and also the court said sorry for the delay on your process)

The HO can not deprive him to have the ILR because he won the papers with court decision (Human rights)

What am pointing is before the law changed (December 2014)
Everyone had the right to apply if they had such a long time after getting the ILR card

I am upset because they didn't give him the decision in 6 months with the previous law :(

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am

san2014 wrote:I understand that we give opinion on these matters.
But also we have to understand the feeling of other people too. :cry:

Before people was working and getting their insurance number because was different. Now if you don't have a visa forget it.

Also when you still in process with the HO to settle in this country you should work because how you going to survive?!!
In the moment that you get the answer from the HO or the court that is NO you don't have more rights to stay.
If you get an answer YES (in his case they gave the right and also the court said sorry for the delay on your process)

The HO can not deprive him to have the ILR because he won the papers with court decision (Human rights)

What am pointing is before the law changed (December 2014)
Everyone had the right to apply if they had such a long time after getting the ILR card

I am upset because they didn't give him the decision in 6 months with the previous law :(
I am sorry for your grief. But Citizenship is a privilege not a right ( page 8 ) so they can take as much time as possible to satisfy themselves. ILR is what was his request hence he had a right to appeal. In Citizenship cases, you can only request for a reconsideration, nothing more.

Seniors can tell better, but in my view he has to wait at least ten years from the date he became an overstayer.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:04 am

For the what you have stated above, I would urge you as a matter of priority, to read the link I have included below (which was already provided to you in a previous post in this thread) and in particular the letter that Amber has posted for cases such as your partners being an asylum seeker.

Does your partner have evidence or proof that he applied or was an asylum seeker or any correspondence from HO during that time?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 84190.html

I hope that you can understand now why you need to provide as much information about the circumstances when requesting help here as if we don't know the situation, we can only advise you based on the limited information you provide and what the rules say.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

roanne15

Post by roanne15 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Could anybody please clarify for me.. The 10 year ban is this effective from "When you came to the attention of home office" which mean's application of some sort, or does it relate to been banned for 10years until you were given "STATUS" and meaning in this time before you were granted "Status" you complied with reporting, even being granted to "Work" a year after application, because no decision had been made, whilst application was still being processed.

roanne15

Post by roanne15 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

roanne15 wrote:Could anybody please clarify for me.. The 10 year ban is this effective from "When you came to the attention of home office" which mean's application of some sort, or does it relate to been banned for 10years until you were given "STATUS" and meaning in this time before you were granted "Status" you complied with reporting, even being granted to "Work" a year after application, because no decision had been made, whilst application was still being processed.

As this what it stays

Chapter 18 Annex D: the good character requirement > 9.7 Evasion of immigration control wrote:The decision maker will normally refuse an application if within the 10 years preceding the application the person has not been compliant with immigration requirements, including but not limited to having:
a. failed to report
b. failed to comply with any conditions imposed under the Immigration Acts
c. been detected working in the UK without permission

So if you were compliant as of the time you put in your application till you were given status? its quite confusing but I get they don't word things correctly to get people confused....Can anyone clarify when they start counting the 10 years

san2014

Post by san2014 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 pm

CR001 wrote:
For the what you have stated above, I would urge you as a matter of priority, to read the link I have included below (which was already provided to you in a previous post in this thread) and in particular the letter that Amber has posted for cases such as your partners being an asylum seeker.

Does your partner have evidence or proof that he applied or was an asylum seeker or any correspondence from HO during that time?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 84190.html

I hope that you can understand now why you need to provide as much information about the circumstances when requesting help here as if we don't know the situation, we can only advise you based on the limited information you provide and what the rules say.
Thanks for your information, appreciate your help :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Good luck san2014 and I am sure if you follow the advise from Amber in the link I provided, your partner might have a successful reconsideration request as a previous asylum seeker.

Please keep us updated :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)

san2014

Post by san2014 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 pm

[quote="CR001"]Good luck san2014 and I am sure if you follow the advise from Amber in the link I provided, your partner might have a successful reconsideration request as a previous asylum seeker.

Please keep us updated :)

Thanks
I will definitely :)

Mahm256

Post by Mahm256 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 pm

All above were wrong.

You judged san2014 partner's case without establishing the full facts. From what I have read, I believe that her partner arrived in the UK and applied for asylum, his case was delayed for years (that does not constitute to illegal stay) and also you should remember, some asylum seekers back then were granted permission to take up work.

Also still, his naturalisation application was logged in May 2014 before the good character amendments came into force in December which means, the new rules don't apply to his application. He still holds a strong case against HO. All he has to do is produce his evidence to show he applied for asylum on and was granted right to work. But this is not necessary because the new rules don't apply to him.

good luck

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Mahm256 wrote:Also still, his naturalisation application was logged in May 2014 before the good character amendments came into force in December which means, the new rules don't apply to his application.
This statement on its own is incorrect. While it's true that the application was made before the new rules were introduced, as stated in the rules they will still be applied to cases that were not decided at the time. We have seen a few such cases reported on this forum. Amber has created a useful sticky thread which would be worth reading.

Note that here I'm not commenting on the Asylum related points which you have raised. I believe a link was posted by CR001, which has information that would be very useful to the OP.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Mahm256 wrote:Also still, his naturalisation application was logged in May 2014 before the good character amendments came into force in December which means, the new rules don't apply to his application.
It may be a technicality, but it was not a change in the rules in December 2014 that created this issue.

What changed was the definition of "good character" to include immigration offences, in addition to criminal offences, which already included earlier.

Good character has been a requirement since the British Nationality Act 1981.

san2014

Post by san2014 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am

Mahm256 wrote:All above were wrong.

You judged san2014 partner's case without establishing the full facts. From what I have read, I believe that her partner arrived in the UK and applied for asylum, his case was delayed for years (that does not constitute to illegal stay) and also you should remember, some asylum seekers back then were granted permission to take up work.

Also still, his naturalisation application was logged in May 2014 before the good character amendments came into force in December which means, the new rules don't apply to his application. He still holds a strong case against HO. All he has to do is produce his evidence to show he applied for asylum on and was granted right to work. But this is not necessary because the new rules don't apply to him.

good luck
Thanks, I am trying and been asking for advice and as well seaking advice from the sicitors but they are asking for lots of money ;(

I hope I will do something.

jasonyu1983
Newly Registered

Post by jasonyu1983 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:48 am

san2014 wrote:Hi
Thanks for the early replay

We need some help as we don't know what to do, what action should we take please??

This is the reason for the Naturalisation Application refused.

Your client was here without valid leave in UK between 17/11/2005 until 05/03/2014 when he was granted ILR.
Also he was not permitted to work during this time but he was working.
So you have provided documents which clearly shows that your client was working here between August 2006 - April 2014 WITHOUT permission and your client can not therefore satisfy the Criteria of Chapter 18, Annex D, paragraph 9.7 & c of the Nationality Instructions.
So your client application is refused.

He has been working in this country and I can not deny But he has payed his tax and worked with papers always and never claimed benefits.
Thats so unfair :(
What visa was your client on? I wonder what kind of visa does not allow your client to work? Even student visa would allow 20 hours a week. Plus, what documents showed your client was working during that period? It sounds that your client provided the documents himself.

usman81

Post by usman81 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:10 am

jasonyu1983 wrote:

We need some help as we don't know what to do, what action should we take please??

Your client was here without valid leave in UK between 17/11/2005 until 05/03/2014 when he was granted ILR.
So you have provided documents which clearly shows that your client was working here between August 2006 - April 2014 WITHOUT permission and your client can not therefore satisfy the Criteria of Chapter 18, Annex D, paragraph 9.7 & c of the Nationality Instructions.

He has been working in this country and I can not deny But he has payed his tax and worked with papers always and never claimed benefits.
What visa was your client on? I wonder what kind of visa does not allow your client to work? Even student visa would allow 20 hours a week. Plus, what documents showed your client was working during that period? It sounds that your client provided the documents himself.
Sorry to hear that. Read again, it's written crystal clear that applicant was in UK without valid leave for long period of time. Any work carried during illegal stay would also be considered illegal. I strongly recommend to consult a solicitor.
I am no one only GOD knows the best

jasonyu1983
Newly Registered

Post by jasonyu1983 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:38 am

usman81 wrote:
jasonyu1983 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Read again, it's written crystal clear that applicant was in UK without valid leave for long period of time. Any work carried during illegal stay would also be considered illegal. I strongly recommend to consult a solicitor.
Yes, I can see that the applicant was in UK without valid leave. But "you have provided documents which clearly shows that your client was working here between August 2006 - April 2014 WITHOUT permission" sounds like the applicant provided some sorts of documents to show he was working, I am just wonder why the applicant would supply that document. Surely the applicant understands that he was not supposed to work.

Simroz
Newly Registered

Post by Simroz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi can anyone help,
I am confuse for neutralization how much clean history is needed?? 5 years or 10 years ????
Thanks in advance!

ScopeD
Member of Standing

Post by ScopeD » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Simroz wrote:Hi can anyone help,
I am confuse for neutralization how much clean history is needed?? 5 years or 10 years ????
Thanks in advance!
I think an applicant requires 10 years of clean history. This is the reason why UKBA asks for ten years of your employment history as they would like to be sure that during those ten years, you discharged your obligations with the HMRC and that you complied with immigration restrictions (i think).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks in advance!
Castration is not a requirement for citizenship.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Simroz
Newly Registered

Post by Simroz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 pm

ScopeD wrote:
Thanks in advance!
I think an applicant requires 10 years of clean history. This is the reason why UKBA asks for ten years of your employment history as they would like to be sure that during those ten years, you discharged your obligations with the HMRC and that you complied with immigration restrictions (i think).

Actually my husband was on work permit from 2008 to 2011 before he switched to my dependent visa. Problem is he didn't work for that company who issued his work permit so he was breeding the immigration law for 3 years. He got his ilr last year on 10 year basis abs due for applying his nationality. Do you thing he should wait for 6 more years because of above stated reason ???

Gomjaba

Post by Gomjaba » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Castration is not a requirement for citizenship.
It is not castration. Technically it means a chemical reaction where acid and a base form water.