ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Another quick question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

luka
Newly Registered

Another quick question

Post by luka » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:05 pm

I am a Kenyan citizen living in UK, and my wife was Swedish. We married in 1997 and lived together until March 2001, when my wife left our house. However we continued the relationship but not living at the same address. In September 2001 I was granted permanent residency (ILR) in the UK because of my marriage to an EU citizen. In June 2004 we finally decided that the marriage was not working, and split up and finally divorced.

The question is could this prejudice my permanent residency status since in September 2001 we claimed we were still married? how will this affect my desire to apply for UK naturalisation?

Jeff Albright

Re: Another quick question

Post by Jeff Albright » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:02 pm

luka wrote:The question is could this prejudice my permanent residency status since in September 2001 we claimed we were still married? how will this affect my desire to apply for UK naturalisation?
You can still apply for naturalisation if your marriage breakdown occurred AFTER you got your Permanent Stay. You can do it after you have lived in the UK for 5 years and you should have held ILR for the last 1 year out of 5.
If you arrived in 1997 then the earliest you could apply would be in 2002.

So now you can download the naturalisation form, fill it in and apply.