ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

some basic question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

teekay_tk

some basic question

Post by teekay_tk » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:01 pm

hi, if you have studied from a UK university at post-graduate level and worked at a job requiring post-graduate status, do you still need to go thorough english language and life in UK tests for ILR?

also I met a guy who is a student in scotland and he said that after studying 3 years in scotland he will get settlement status. I said that I hadnt heard of any such rule but he insisted that he had good info about this and that this was only applicable in scotland. Is this true? if not then i'll have to back to him and warn him that he has been given wrong information and that he must not depend on it.

thanks

TK

vinny

some basic question

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:23 pm

What is his current immigration status and how long has he been in the UK?

I don't believe that 3 years', as a student, is sufficient time to make an application for ILR. Students do not qualify for ILR unless they satisfy the Long Residence Rules (276A-276E).

See also General caseworking:
Introduction of new rules for people applying for settlement

If you are planning to apply for indefinite leave to remain (or settlement) in the UK, you will need to be aware of the introduction of new rules for applications made on or after 2 April 2007. They will require applicants to show that they have a sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK in order to qualify for settlement. For more information, see questions and answers, leaflet and poster.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.