ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Collection of Surrender Certificate & OCI on the same day

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rachsach

Collection of Surrender Certificate & OCI on the same day

Post by rachsach » Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 am

I am going to surrender my Indian passport after acquiring British citizenship. I understand that I have to book an appointment with VFS in order to surrender the Indian passport.

Now my question is that when the certificate is ready for collection, can I apply for the OCI at the same time when I am there to collect the surrender certificate?

I have explored the forum looking for this question if it had been asked in the past but I couldn’t find any information so decided to post to see if anyone in the forum has submitted the OCI application one the same day of collecting the Surrender certificate from VFS.

ban.s

Re: Collection of Surrender Certificate & OCI on the same da

Post by ban.s » Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 pm

usually the collection timing is the afternoon, and submission is in the morning...so this approach may not work..but please check the latest opening hours/time at the VFS you plan to use if there is an overlapping window.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Thu May 07, 2015 3:14 pm

ban.s wrote:usually the collection timing is the afternoon, and submission is in the morning...so this approach may not work..but please check the latest opening hours/time at the VFS you plan to use if there is an overlapping window.
Thanks ban.s , I will inquire with them when I visit VFS to surrender the Indian Passport.
I will post it on the forum so it will help others if at all it is possible to make an OCI application at the time of collection of surrender certificate.

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Fri May 08, 2015 12:32 pm

ban.s wrote:usually the collection timing is the afternoon, and submission is in the morning...so this approach may not work..but please check the latest opening hours/time at the VFS you plan to use if there is an overlapping window.
Thats correct (atleast in VFS Goswell Road and Paddington)
The collection is after 3.30 pm, without needing an appointment.
But, any OCI submission would need an appointment booked before 3.30 pm.

So, collecting the passport surrender certificate and applying for OCI straight-away in the same day is not an option. (Yes, it is awful waste of time and money, but sadly that how this is designed).

Be prepared for more trips to VFS.
Two more, one for submission of docs and other at the end of the OCI process to put the visa sticker in your passport.
:(