ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you travel on Indian Passport (ILR) expiring in 1 month

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

macgyver

Can you travel on Indian Passport (ILR) expiring in 1 month

Post by macgyver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi there,
My Indian passport is expiring on 7th Mar 2013 and due a personal reason I need to travel to India urgently.
When I spoke to HCI, they said I need the validity of the passport for 6 months to travel.
I have got ILR stamped on my passport.
One of friends managed to travel with their son's passport expiring in 5 days when they landed back and did not have a problem. Though the immigration officer at UK border did comment to apply for a new passport.
I want to know:
1) Can I travel in Feb as long as I return before the expiry of the passport?
2) Has anybody else had any experience regarding that

PS: Regarding renewal of Passport, the problem is that I am from J&K and the renewal takes 2-3 months

Thanks for your help

hpat

Re: Can you travel on Indian Passport (ILR) expiring in 1 mo

Post by hpat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 am

macgyver wrote:Hi there,
Yes, it's fine. Normally for applying visa you need 6 months validity.
But on your return apply for renewal of passport before it expires, otherwise HCL can give you some trouble:)

May be someone with same experience can answer, but I have done it when my passort had 4 months remaining.

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you

nmehta

Post by nmehta » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am

I travelled with only 28 days left on my Indian Passport and no issues at all. On checking with Air India, they confirmed that for India - UK flights the only thing that they are instructed to validate is whether the passport is valid at the time of travel.

Hope this helps.

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Thank you very much. I think I am going to do that as well.

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm

When I tried booking flights through Southall travel, the booking guy told me that I cannot fly unless my passport is valid for 6 months.
So really confused now.

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:56 pm

macgyver wrote:When I tried booking flights through Southall travel, the booking guy told me that I cannot fly unless my passport is valid for 6 months.
So really confused now.
Ignore that I have friends who have travelled before with less than 2 months on their passport

cset134
Newly Registered

Post by cset134 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 am

Did you all have any trouble with Air India. I am in a similar situation, the passport expires in 5 months on the day if travel from Delhi to London. Will there be any issue? The air India call centre staff are advising of a 6 month validity requirement but the UK foreign office website advises what has been said above.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your reply.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 07, 2015 1:27 pm

There is no such requirement for the purpose of travel. All you need is a valid passport.

cset134
Newly Registered

Post by cset134 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi ban.s,

what to make of the call centre staff who are adamant on the 6 month requirement?

can indian immigration create trouble at the point of boarding? Can someone speak from experience please ?

Many thanks

theasterix
Newly Registered

Post by theasterix » Wed May 13, 2015 4:45 pm

macgyver wrote:Hi there,
My Indian passport is expiring on 7th Mar 2013 and due a personal reason I need to travel to India urgently.
When I spoke to HCI, they said I need the validity of the passport for 6 months to travel.
I have got ILR stamped on my passport.
One of friends managed to travel with their son's passport expiring in 5 days when they landed back and did not have a problem. Though the immigration officer at UK border did comment to apply for a new passport.
I want to know:

PS: Regarding renewal of Passport, the problem is that I am from J&K and the renewal takes 2-3 months

Thanks for your help

I have travelled to India in 2011 with passport validity of 21 days. Airline said they have to take some one to india even if passport expires the same day.
However I was more worried about coming back. That did not cause any problem coming back as well. My work permit was vaild for 1.5 years at that time.

botech79

Post by botech79 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi

I am seeking your help on a similar case, my daughters Indian passport is expiring in Feb 2016, we intend to travel to India in Dec 2015 and come back early Jan 2016.
When we return there will be 30 days validity on te passport.
Is this a problem for travel? I would like to apply for British citizenship once we come back from India.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 pm

botech79 wrote:Hi

I am seeking your help on a similar case, my daughters Indian passport is expiring in Feb 2016, we intend to travel to India in Dec 2015 and come back early Jan 2016.
When we return there will be 30 days validity on te passport.
Is this a problem for travel? I would like to apply for British citizenship once we come back from India.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
the passport needs to be valid when entering the UK, you should not have any problems as there is no rules that there has to be 6 months validity for example.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sapnaraghav
Newly Registered

Re: Can you travel on Indian Passport expiring in Jan 2016

Post by Sapnaraghav » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:52 am

I have booked my travel to India, and just realised my passport is expiring in Jan 2016, however i will be back on 12/12/2015, please can someone tell me if it will be ok to travel on this Indian passport.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:47 am

Did you not believe the post preceding yours?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.