ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

osterly

Post by osterly » Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Application Method to HCI: VFS/Hounslow
Application Posted On : 08-05-2015 (2 Child)
Registration Status at Mission: London
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :
Originals Received:
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On :
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On :
OCI Document received At HCI/VFS On :
Handed over Passports at VFS Office:
Received OCI booklet & passport:

kopper

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by kopper » Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Can anyone advise is it better to take with you a Self Addressed Envelope when attending VFS with your passport for collection?
Or is it safer to pay VFS to deliver?

Thanks

ahranju2k
Newly Registered

Post by ahranju2k » Sun May 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Both Royal Mail Special delivery and Dx couriers are quite safe. The only difference is the cost. You can buy a special delivery envelope with a 500 gm stamp for 7 pounds while Vfs dx courier charge is 14.98. If you have to submit original docs then you need 2 envelopes so any cost get doubled. Best is to take your own envelopes.

wp2tier1

Post by wp2tier1 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:41 am

Hi All,

Just a question regarding documents needed for OCI.

Do we need birth certificate as well for OCI application?

Vfs website mentions it under "other necessary documents"

Surrender certificate should be enough to prove Indian origin.

Can people who have recently got oci please clarify if vfs asked for birth certificate at time of application submission?

Thanks

ahranju2k
Newly Registered

Post by ahranju2k » Tue May 12, 2015 10:57 am

You only need surrender certificate, British nationality certificate, 2 photographs and copy and original of british passport for oci if you are an adult and applying for oci for first time. If you are applying for oci In lieu of pio then you need pio card, copy of old passport, copy of new passport and 2 photo. If you are applying for a minor for first time then a birth certificate might be required if the child is applying on basis of parents. For a child through pio to oci route birth certificate is not required.

osterly

Post by osterly » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 am

osterly wrote:Application Method to HCI: VFS/Hounslow
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :11.05.2015
Originals Received:
quick question can i get this done end of june i am planning to send them to india in july or end of june?

lindaraset
Newly Registered

Post by lindaraset » Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 am

Final Update

Application Method to HCI: VFS/Bristol
Application Posted On : 26-03-2015
Registration Status at Mission: LONDON
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :30-03-2015
Originals Received: 14-04-2015
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 21-APR-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 05-May-2015
OCI Document received At HCI On : 06-May-2015
Passport given to VFS Bristol in person on : 07-May-2015
Passport with OCI sticker & Booklet received : 13-May-2015

Total Processing time 48 Days.

Thanks you

bahla
Newly Registered

Post by bahla » Wed May 13, 2015 11:27 am

Small warning.

Just back from VFS in London (Paddington). VFS refused to accept my Indian Birth Certificate unless it was translated into Hindi or English by a professional translation service. The Birth Certificate was issued in the Punjab in the 1960s in Punjabi and Urdu.

The Documents section of the VFS website only requests this for foreign-born applicants applying on the basis of Parents/Grand Parents/Spouse, not for Applicants born in India. VFS insisted any document that is not in Hindi or English must be professionally translated.

Very annoyed.

theasterix
Newly Registered

Post by theasterix » Wed May 13, 2015 4:14 pm

ahranju2k wrote:Both Royal Mail Special delivery and Dx couriers are quite safe. The only difference is the cost. You can buy a special delivery envelope with a 500 gm stamp for 7 pounds while Vfs dx courier charge is 14.98. If you have to submit original docs then you need 2 envelopes so any cost get doubled. Best is to take your own envelopes.
This used to be the case. But now VFS have changed the courier fee. They collect £8 for a standard courier delivery and £15 for a one-day courier.

kopper

Post by kopper » Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi
Can anyone confirm if the following means I need to go to VFS and hand over passport ?

Date Of Acknowledgment 15-APR-2015
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
OCI- Number A1803395
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 06-MAY-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 08-MAY-2015
Document received At LONDON On 11-MAY-2015

ahranju2k
Newly Registered

Post by ahranju2k » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 pm

kopper wrote:Hi
Can anyone confirm if the following means I need to go to VFS and hand over passport ?

Date Of Acknowledgment 15-APR-2015
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
OCI- Number A1803395
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 06-MAY-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 08-MAY-2015
Document received At LONDON On 11-MAY-2015
Yes, you have to visit the Vfs where you originally made your application to handover the passport. You will need a printout of your status as above, British passport, and original receipt. If you want to use royal mail then carry special delivery envelope ( one per application) as well
If you had pio card previously then you have to submit that too.

kopper

Post by kopper » Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks

Is the time to go to VFS to hand in still after 4pm?
I wonder if they are open on Bank holiday

davster

Post by davster » Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 am

Hi All,

Query slightly related to the above post. I have been given an appointment to surrender my passport at VFS for 25 May, which off course is a Bank Hol. Is it a system error or VFS is open because Indian Embassy is open on Bank Hol?

Could someone please share if their experience of going to VFS on a bank hol.

Thanks

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Mon May 18, 2015 9:50 am

davster wrote:Hi All,

Query slightly related to the above post. I have been given an appointment to surrender my passport at VFS for 25 May, which off course is a Bank Hol. Is it a system error or VFS is open because Indian Embassy is open on Bank Hol?

Thanks
I believe they work on bank holidays. If you look at the VFS website for holidays they have same set of holidays that are celebrated in India. Check this http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/public_holidays.html

You may want to ring their customer service on the number given on their website. The numbers are 203 793 8629/ 203 695 9849.

davster

Post by davster » Tue May 19, 2015 10:53 am

rachsach wrote:
davster wrote:Hi All,

Thanks
I believe they work on bank holidays. If you look at the VFS website for holidays they have same set of holidays that are celebrated in India. Check this http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/public_holidays.html

You may want to ring their customer service on the number given on their website. The numbers are 203 793 8629/ 203 695 9849.
Thank you rachsach!

gre.bm691

Post by gre.bm691 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi all

Just received the Surrender certificate this morning and need to apply for OCI asap as I have flights booked for second week of Jul.

I was born outside India, so am a little confused about the documents I need to submit.

A few questions if I may:

1. As per the website, my understanding is that you need the following docs. Can the checklist be confirmed:
a. Original Naturalization certificate and a photocopy of the same
b. Original cancelled Indian passport and a photocopy of the same
c. Original Surrender Certificate and a photocopy of the same
d. Photocopy of the British passport (taking the British Passport along to VFS)
d. Application form (one)
e. Passport-size photos x2

2. Now, What do I submit for Proof of Indian Origin documents? Will the cancelled indian passport with the surrender certificate suffice this requirement? As mentioned, I was not born in India but was Indian at birth. I dont have: Birth certificate, School Leave, Domicile cert or Agriculture land document on me.
I do have my marriage certificate (wife is Indian) but my logic says that I am not applying based on Spouse being Indian.

3. Do the photo copies need self attestation?

4. Planning to Apply for tourist visa in case the OCI doesnt come in time. Will that be ok whilst my OCI application is in progress?

Sorry for a lengthy and detailed one. But thought it would help others in the same boat.

davster

Post by davster » Tue May 19, 2015 2:00 pm

gre.bm691 wrote:Hi all

Just received the Surrender certificate this morning and need to apply for OCI asap as I have flights booked for second week of Jul.

I was born outside India, so am a little confused about the documents I need to submit.

A few questions if I may:

1. As per the website, my understanding is that you need the following docs. Can the checklist be confirmed:
b. Original cancelled Indian passport and a photocopy of the same
e. Passport-size photos x2

2. Now, What do I submit for Proof of Indian Origin documents? Will the cancelled indian passport with the surrender certificate suffice this requirement? As mentioned, I was not born in India but was Indian at birth. I dont have: Birth certificate, School Leave, Domicile cert or Agriculture land document on me.
I do have my marriage certificate (wife is Indian) but my logic says that I am not applying based on Spouse being Indian.

3. Do the photo copies need self attestation?

4. Planning to Apply for tourist visa in case the OCI doesnt come in time. Will that be ok whilst my OCI application is in progress?

Sorry for a lengthy and detailed one. But thought it would help others in the same boat.
Photographs should be 2 inch * 2 inch as opposed to the standard UK Passport size photographs.

gre.bm691

Post by gre.bm691 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Thanks for photo specification. Anything else in the list you could help me with?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:26 pm

gre.bm691 wrote: 1. As per the website, my understanding is that you need the following docs. Can the checklist be confirmed:
b. Original cancelled Indian passport and a photocopy of the same - Not required
e. Passport-size photos x2 - 50x50cm

Only Indian citizens get Indian passport so if you had one earlier that means you were Indian, no more evidence required

3. Do the photo copies need self attestation? Yes

4. Planning to Apply for tourist visa in case the OCI doesnt come in time. Will that be ok whilst my OCI application is in progress Yes
Manka

saurabhgupta
Newly Registered

Post by saurabhgupta » Tue May 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Application Method to HCI: VFS/Birmingham
Application Posted On : 09-04-2015 (2 Adults + 2 Child)
Registration Status at Mission: Birmingham
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :10-04-2015
Originals Received: 28-04-2015
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 30-Apr-2015(For Adults) 05-May-2015 (For children)
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 07-May-2015(For Adults) 08-May-2015 (For children)
OCI Document received At HCI/VFS On : 12-May-2015
Handed over Passports at VFS Office: 13-May-2015

utopia
Newly Registered

Post by utopia » Thu May 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi Guys,

At the time I write this, I am already a very tired man. This looooooong journey, spanning some 8 years, that has taken me through Work Permit >> Tier 1 (general) >> Tier 1 Extension >> ILR >> Citizenship >> British Passport >> Indian Passport Surrender >> OCI for a family of four has left me really, really exhausted. Now at this long-awaited finish line, I wish to express my heart-felt gratitude to this board and its members for being there with me all along and for helping me with a number of concerns/questions/doubts etc that I had at various stages. This is a great platform for people like me who venture out into unknown lands in the quest for better opportunities and a better life. I'll keep an eye on the happenings on this forum and will also try answering questions to the extent possible. Meanwhile, here are the timelines for my family's OCI applications:

Application made in Person at VFS Paddington (2 Adults + 2 Children ) : 01-APR-15
Registration Status at Mission: LONDON
Date of Acknowledgement : 02-APR-15
Originals Received: 10-APR-15
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 29-APR-15
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 06-MAY-15
OCI Document received At HCI, London On : 07-MAY-15
Passports given to VFS Paddington in person on : 08-MAY-15
Passports with OCI stickers & Booklets received : 13-MAY-15

All the best to others who are still in various queues.

Regards,

Utopia

osterly

Post by osterly » Sat May 23, 2015 2:43 pm

osterly wrote:Application Method to HCI: VFS/Hounslow
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :11.05.15
Originals Received:
shall i wait for status online (processed) then i need to go to VFS to submit passports at VFS
what is mean by originals received i did't submit any originals when i made application

kopper

Applying for OCI- No Indian Passport or Birth Certificate

Post by kopper » Sun May 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi
I am trying to help my elderly uncle apply for OCI who is 85 years old and was born in India but does not have his Indian password, surrender certificate and Indian birth certificate.
He was given British citizenship in 1968 in Singapore but they took and never returned his Indian passport. He does however have the British Registration certificate and a Solicitors Affidavit confirming this.
He has no copy of his Indian Birth Certificate however he has recently obtained a Certificate of Registration from his Indian school confirming he did attend the school when he was young which is the only proof he was a Indian citizan.

His wife already has an OCI so can he now apply without a Indian passport and birth certificate?

Thanks

saurabhgupta
Newly Registered

Post by saurabhgupta » Mon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Final Update:

Application Method to HCI: VFS/Birmingham
Application Posted On : 09-04-2015 (2 Adults + 2 Child)
Registration Status at Mission: Birmingham
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :10-04-2015
Originals Received: 28-04-2015
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 30-Apr-2015(For Adults) 05-May-2015 (For children)
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 07-May-2015(For Adults) 08-May-2015 (For children)
OCI Document received At HCI/VFS On : 12-May-2015
Handed over Passports at VFS Office: 13-May-2015
Received OCI booklet & passport: 23-May-2015

MT84
Newly Registered

Post by MT84 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:13 pm

I made OCI appilcation on Monday 25th May at London Goswell. Yes they were working on UK Bank Holiday.

Process which has been slghtly updated a week or so back as per the laddy on the counter, so though will update everyone:
1) You give your documents to them as mention in various previous post.
2) You also have to either give them royal mail prepaid envelops or pay for courier at this point NOW for them to send the OIC booklet and your british passport back. So if you have one application then you need to give them 2 envelops or if you have more then one appilcation then 1 envelop for sending original documents back for all the application and 2 envelop for each application OIC booklet and british passport. They will give you the envelops back after recording the details and put their sticker on it. (previously we use to give envelops or buy courier when you go down to hand the passport for sticker). They won't process the application if you do not have your envelops or buy courier from them.
3) Now its your resposibility to take these envelops back to them when you submit your passport for sticker. If you loose it then you again have to pay for it.

PS: They have two DX courier option
a) £14 for next day with insurance cover
b) £8 without insurance cover (this option they never mention unless you ask for it)