ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ozyy85
Newly Registered

English Language Test

Post by ozyy85 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:52 am

Hi all,

I'm currently on TIER 1 General and going for my ILR in December 2015 and question is regarding the english language test.

- Does my wife need to pass IELTS or B1 english language test.
- We live away from London around south west cost , so do we have to go through any specific colleges/exam-center or we can go to the nearest center which conducts the exam.

Thanks for all your help

WR1

Re: English Language Test

Post by WR1 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:50 am

Does my wife need to pass IELTS or B1 english language test.
If your wife is applying for ILR with you, then she will need to achieve English at Level B1 if not already done so. More info here.

Do note that LIUK is also required in addition to the English B1.
We live away from London around south west cost , so do we have to go through any specific colleges/exam-center or we can go to the nearest center which conducts the exam.
You can do the test at any centre as long as its a Home Office approved list. More info in the link provided above.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

rella5

Post by rella5 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 pm

To be honest with you awe are all confused here! Normally what people do is passing LIUK and at least B1 or if studied here-present the cert/ Confirmed cert from abroad by NARIK. So in your wife's case B1 is fine plus life in the UK(LIUK).

What I have seen and read from HO letters is once you have applied for a visa before and passed A1 or equivalent you only need to improve by one level which is B1 or LIUK..they did not say BOTH! but we all cover our backs to by doing both.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 pm

rella5 wrote:What I have seen and read from HO letters is once you have applied for a visa before and passed A1 or equivalent you only need to improve by one level which is B1 or LIUK..they did not say BOTH! but we all cover our backs to by doing both.
From 28 October 2013, both LIUK and English B1 are required for ILR/BC and the Home Office are very clear about the requirements. ILR will be rejected if either one is missing.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

pelican2016

Post by pelican2016 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi,

I am planning to go for my ILR in July 2015 with my dependent. We both did our same degree from same college in India. I am currently on Tier 1 General and my degree was proved for English requirement in previous applications but as part of ILR do I need to get the following documents?

1) NARIC equivalent assessment for both me and my wife? or Just the PBS calculator is evidence is enough?
2) Does my wife need to take B1 language even though her degree is getting 10 points awarded in PBS calculator?

Thanks
Raz

Ric
Newly Registered

Post by Ric » Sat May 16, 2015 11:30 pm

same question here - PBS assessment evidence is enough? of is NARIC assessment mandatory ? i m on tier 2 and applying for ilr in june 2015

nasir639

Post by nasir639 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 am

Hello Guys,

I have been searching on the same subject since a week and it's confusing.

I am on tier 1 general and my wife is my dependant. I have a
degree from UK so I am fine but her degree from taught in a different language. Does she need a B1 or a C1 certificate? On trinity college website, it says for Tier 1 general, it's C1 that we need.

Can anyone shed some light on this please.

Regards,
Nas