ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Tax Credit Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wokerman
Newly Registered

Child Tax Credit Question

Post by wokerman » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:54 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know whether CTC payments can effect a person's application for permanent residence.

The reason I am unsure about this now is not because of "public funds" but because of how this needs to be "disclosed" in the ILR application.....if at all required. Am I correct in thinking that its a requirement to specify all sources and the total monthly income?

Apparently, I am told that work permit holders cannot even apply for this. The problem is that I did and was granted CTC.

Can anyone help!

Thanks.
Workerman.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:57 am

i am not sure though, but i think i have read somewhere on the HO website where child tax credit where on the list of items that are 'public funds'. i am sure there will be other members here who can confirm that

John

Definition of "public Funds"

Post by John » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:19 am

Wokerman, the definition of "Public Funds" in paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules has not yet been changed.

That is, it still includes "Working Families' Tax Credit", which was abolished on 31.03.03 .. and does not yet include Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit that came in as from 01.04.03.

Accordingly a claim to Child Tax Credit cannot possibly breach any condition on a visa.

Do however note that Child Benefit is within the definition of Public Funds, so hopefully you have not claimed that.

The relevant part of the Immigration Rules can be read here.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:47 pm

i am a bit confused between the two (child tax credit and child benefit); john is definitely right, claiming child benefit is detrimental to your ILR application
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... apply.html

John

Child Benefit? Child Tax Credit?

Post by John » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:14 pm

Child Benefit is a fixed weekly amount, well defined as weekly but in practice now credited to a bank account once a month. For the eldest child who qualifies - £16.50 per week ...... for each other child who qualifies - £11.05 per week

Child Tax Credit .... the amount varies depending upon personal circumstances ... if the family income exceeds £58000 pa then nothing at all is payable.

Child Benefit should never be claimed by the holder of a visa with the "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction.

wokerman
Newly Registered

Post by wokerman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 am

Thanks guys!

That was really useful. Read the whole section on public funds on the workthing.co.uk web-site.

But its quite strange that I have been granted CTC. My other colleagues haven't been able to get it. Maybe a glitch in the system or something.

Thanks for the info again.