ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation certificate damaged - please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

phospholipid

Naturalisation certificate damaged - please help

Post by phospholipid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

My mothers naturalisation certificate came in the mail today after sending off her passport, unfortunately I (her son) accidentally teared the certificate. I want to get this replaced for her as soon as possible I have a few questions.

1) She has already applied for her british passport with it, so does not need it for that. Is it needed for anything else?

1) In the application form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... oncert.pdf
it says that "previous UK passport number", if she has not yet received her british passport what should I do? Should I wait for her to receive her passport first

3) Should I send the original with this or not?

4) how long is this process?

5) would we have any problems seeing as she just got her nationality a few weeks ago and I was stupid enough to do this..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation certificate damaged - please help

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:33 pm

1. It is the certificate that proves she is British and is as valuable and important as a birth certificate. A passport is travel document. How badly is it torn?

2. Your link does not work. The Form (Click) says passport number but if you don't have one you don't need to complete it or you can wait till she receives her passport.

3. Send original of what??

4. A couple of weeks to a couple of months.

5. No, accidents happen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 pm

CR001 wrote:1. It is the certificate that proves she is British and is as valuable and important as a birth certificate. A passport is travel document. How badly is it torn?

2. Your link does not work. The Form (Click) says passport number but if you don't have one you don't need to complete it or you can wait till she receives her passport.

3. Send original of what??

4. A couple of weeks to a couple of months.

5. No, accidents happen.
1. It is torn a third from the top and a third from the bottom, so it's pretty badly. Everything is still visible however.

2. You think it is worth waiting until she receives her British passport before applying for a replacement?

3. Sorry, I meant the original naturalisation certificate along with the form

Do you think I should sent a letter along explaining what has happened and why I need a replacement?

thanks. I hope she isn't too angry when I tell her :\

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Send the certificate as you are applying for a duplicate one due to damage. They won't really bother about why you are asking for a replacement, they only want the fee which is £162.

Your mother has to apply for the replacement not you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm

CR001 wrote:Send the certificate as you are applying for a duplicate one due to damage. They won't really bother about why you are asking for a replacement, they only want the fee which is £162.

Your mother has to apply for the replacement not you.
I spoke to someone on the phone at the home office, they told me it isn't required to sent the certificate. Could I ask why you recommend sending it? (on the website it doesn't say to send or not to send)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Normally required for corrections and I was reading the wrong page/tab :oops: sorry, but if not required then thats fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:12 pm

CR001 wrote:Normally required for corrections and I was reading the wrong page/tab :oops: sorry, but if not required then thats fine.
OK thank you for your help.

ATP1983
Newly Registered

Post by ATP1983 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:01 am

phospholipid wrote:My mothers naturalisation certificate came in the mail today after sending off her passport, unfortunately I (her son) accidentally teared the certificate. I want to get this replaced for her as soon as possible I have a few questions.

1) She has already applied for her british passport with it, so does not need it for that. Is it needed for anything else?

1) In the application form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... oncert.pdf
it says that "previous UK passport number", if she has not yet received her british passport what should I do? Should I wait for her to receive her passport first

3) Should I send the original with this or not?

4) how long is this process?

5) would we have any problems seeing as she just got her nationality a few weeks ago and I was stupid enough to do this..

Hi

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have damaged my naturalisation certificate while opening the envelope. However only the Edge is torn from top to bottom and nothing of the contents. I have managed to glue it back.

How did u manage?

1)Did u order for a replacement? Its a expensive affair as I see?
2)I have got my British passport --but will need to Surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI-- Will damaged certifctae be a problem here.

Please advice

Thnx