ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC before PR card + 12 months - UKVI/NCS experience!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

monochrome.dreams
Newly Registered

BC before PR card + 12 months - UKVI/NCS experience!

Post by monochrome.dreams » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi all

I thought I would share my recent experience with UKVI helpline and NCS advisors with you which goes to show how incompetent some of the staff are (not necessary their fault) and how confusing and conflicting answers they can provide (often referring you further to each other) to a seemingly simple query like mine below. I am not angry just frustrated that I have already spent £400 on consultation, spent long hours on the phone and writing enquiries and have nowhere further to go.
Also, this is not a rant neither I am expecting replies or suggestions, I am already beyond the point to believe anyone other than the caseworker him/herself :D

Here goes my question I thought it is simple enough but even UKVI floor managers in Newcastle had different takes on it.
I am an EU citizen holding a Permanent Residency card wishing to apply for British. Due to change in circumstances I would like to submit my application before 12 months counted from the issue date of the PR card. I have been residing in the UK for more than 7 years and can demonstrate that I have exercised EU treaty rights for 6 years. I meet all the relevant criteria and hold all the required documents too. I understand that I can apply for citizenship before 12 months counted from the issue date of the PR card but what I am uncertain of is the length of the period of exercising Treaty Rights I need to support (6, 5 or none?) and whether or not I need to include the PR card or perhaps mention in a cover letter that I already have one and explain that I am why I applying earlier than the 12 months period. This is my timeline

Aug 2007 – moved to the UK
Sep 2009 – started exercising EU treaty rights
Nov 2014 – applied for PR based on period Sep 2009 – Nov 2014
Dec 2014 – PR received

And here are the replies I received:
1. Can apply in Sep 2015 submitting the PR card only as entitlement to PR + 12 months residency what counts NOT the issue date of the PR (as argued by one of the UKVI floor managers)
2. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to submit evidence of exercising EU treaty rights for 6 years and cannot include the PR card. (as argued by most NCS advisors – I phoned at least 10 branches)
3. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to resubmit proof of exercising Treaty Rights from Sep 2009 – Sep 2014 to cover 5 years and the PR card (as argued by the other floor manager)
4. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to need to submit evidence of exercising Treaty Rights from Sep 2009 until Dec 2014 and include the PR card (one NCS advisor)
5. I cannot apply until Dec 2015. (some NCS advisors)

I am just now standing here scratching my head but smiling :D

Thank you for your comments and thoughts and wish you the very best of luck with your applications!

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: BC before PR card + 12 months - UKVI/NCS experience!

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:56 pm

monochrome.dreams wrote:Hi all

I thought I would share my recent experience with UKVI helpline and NCS advisors with you which goes to show how incompetent some of the staff are (not necessary their fault) and how confusing and conflicting answers they can provide (often referring you further to each other) to a seemingly simple query like mine below. I am not angry just frustrated that I have already spent £400 on consultation, spent long hours on the phone and writing enquiries and have nowhere further to go.
Also, this is not a rant neither I am expecting replies or suggestions, I am already beyond the point to believe anyone other than the caseworker him/herself :D

Here goes my question I thought it is simple enough but even UKVI floor managers in Newcastle had different takes on it.
I am an EU citizen holding a Permanent Residency card wishing to apply for British. Due to change in circumstances I would like to submit my application before 12 months counted from the issue date of the PR card. I have been residing in the UK for more than 7 years and can demonstrate that I have exercised EU treaty rights for 6 years. I meet all the relevant criteria and hold all the required documents too. I understand that I can apply for citizenship before 12 months counted from the issue date of the PR card but what I am uncertain of is the length of the period of exercising Treaty Rights I need to support (6, 5 or none?) and whether or not I need to include the PR card or perhaps mention in a cover letter that I already have one and explain that I am why I applying earlier than the 12 months period. This is my timeline

Aug 2007 – moved to the UK
Sep 2009 – started exercising EU treaty rights
Nov 2014 – applied for PR based on period Sep 2009 – Nov 2014
Dec 2014 – PR received

And here are the replies I received:
1. Can apply in Sep 2015 submitting the PR card only as entitlement to PR + 12 months residency what counts NOT the issue date of the PR (as argued by one of the UKVI floor managers)
2. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to submit evidence of exercising EU treaty rights for 6 years and cannot include the PR card. (as argued by most NCS advisors – I phoned at least 10 branches)
3. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to resubmit proof of exercising Treaty Rights from Sep 2009 – Sep 2014 to cover 5 years and the PR card (as argued by the other floor manager)
4. Can apply in Sep 2015 but would need to need to submit evidence of exercising Treaty Rights from Sep 2009 until Dec 2014 and include the PR card (one NCS advisor)
5. I cannot apply until Dec 2015. (some NCS advisors)

I am just now standing here scratching my head but smiling :D

Thank you for your comments and thoughts and wish you the very best of luck with your applications!
I request you to please read Q5 in this link. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

monochrome.dreams
Newly Registered

Post by monochrome.dreams » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi yes I already checked the FAQ just wanted to have a confirmation from UKVI/NCS. Best regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 pm

monochrome.dreams wrote:Hi yes I already checked the FAQ just wanted to have a confirmation from UKVI/NCS. Best regards
So you probably realised that it is (3).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:05 am

What did you do between August 2007 and Sept 2009?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

monochrome.dreams
Newly Registered

Post by monochrome.dreams » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:58 am

vinny wrote:What did you do between August 2007 and Sept 2009?
worked but (even though I had a wrs certificate) I failed to register the 2nd employer (was within the 12th month) for the WRS scheme so those year will not count.

monochrome.dreams
Newly Registered

Post by monochrome.dreams » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:03 am

Jambo wrote:
monochrome.dreams wrote:Hi yes I already checked the FAQ just wanted to have a confirmation from UKVI/NCS. Best regards
So you probably realised that it is (3).
Jambo,

When filling in the AN form what do I write about the sixth year? Shall I just put "settled" or " permanent residency acquired" or do I need to go into detail as "employed" "studied" "self-sufficient" . And I don't need to provide evidence for the 6th year, do I?

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 am

monochrome.dreams wrote:And I don't need to provide evidence for the 6th year, do I?
If you have a PR card, then no. Otherwise its all previous five year's EU work/Insurance etc related documents. I was not from EU myself so I'd await further replies though.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.