ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode/Certificate of Entitlement for child in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

passportguy
Newly Registered
India

Right of Abode/Certificate of Entitlement for child in India

Post by passportguy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:49 am

Hi guys,

Hope you are all fine. I have some doubts on acquiring Right of Abode/CoE for our son.

I and my wife both have ILR since April 2013. Our son was born in December 2012 in Cambridge, UK. Because he was born before we both got ILR, I understand that he is not automatically British.

So I have heard that we can Register him as a British Citizen and then get Right of Abode/Certificate of Entitlement for him.
1. Can someone please tell me if this is correct?
2. Can this be done instead of getting a British Passport?
3. Does this let him live and work in the UK forever?
4. How frequently should it be renewed?
5. Will it expire if he lives in India for say more than 2 years (like ILR)?

Also please let me know if this whole process can be done from India as my wife and son are in India and how long it might take.

Please let me know if you have any other alternatives/suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Passportguy

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: Right of Abode/Certificate of Entitlement for child in I

Post by fwd079 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 am

passportguy wrote: So I have heard that we can Register him as a British Citizen and then get Right of Abode/Certificate of Entitlement for him.
1. Can someone please tell me if this is correct?
Yes.
passportguy wrote: 2. Can this be done instead of getting a British Passport?
Yes.
passportguy wrote: 3. Does this let him live and work in the UK forever?
Yes.
passportguy wrote: 4. How frequently should it be renewed?
With every new non-UK passport, as its affixed on current Passport.
passportguy wrote: 5. Will it expire if he lives in India for say more than 2 years (like ILR)?
No.
passportguy wrote: Also please let me know if this whole process can be done from India as my wife and son are in India and how long it might take.

Please let me know if you have any other alternatives/suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Passportguy
Your best bet would be to simply apply for UK passport, and get OCI etc.
India does not allow dual nationality, so if child was born in UK and you have ILR and you have gone ahead and applied through MN1 form and Registered Child As British Citizen, then you have to obtain OCI card etc for child to stay in India. Please click here for the relevant thread for Indian folks.
I wasn't from India myself so I'd await further replies. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

passportguy
Newly Registered
India

Post by passportguy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi fwd079

Many thanks for your reply.

That answers most of my questions but I am not sure if getting a British passport and OCI will take much longer time compared to registering the child as a British citizen and applying for CoE.

I need another clarification. What if both parents are in India when registering the child as a British citizen+CoE or applying for a British passport and then getting OCI? Do I need to have a UK address to collect forms etc or can I get all forms/correspondence to the Indian address?

Thanks,
Pavan

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 pm

passportguy wrote:Hi fwd079

Many thanks for your reply.

That answers most of my questions but I am not sure if getting a British passport and OCI will take much longer time compared to registering the child as a British citizen and applying for CoE.

I need another clarification. What if both parents are in India when registering the child as a British citizen+CoE or applying for a British passport and then getting OCI? Do I need to have a UK address to collect forms etc or can I get all forms/correspondence to the Indian address?

Thanks,
Pavan
Please click here for the relevant thread for Indian folks and you can ask questions about Indian system there.
Sorry, I wasn't from India myself so I'd await further replies. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi

What is the process for obtaining Right of Abode/cert of entitlement for child born outside UK to a British citizen & a ILR holder.

What are the forms & procedure.

Kindly advise

Cheers