ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

7 weeks - originals not returned, and still 'under process'

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SpokenHands

7 weeks - originals not returned, and still 'under process'

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:10 pm

I applied for an OCI card on the 24th April 2015 at the VFS Birmingham for self and family (spouse an two children under 12)
It was a straightforward process and there was no issue.

Now 7 weeks later, I have not received my original documents back; and the online enquiry shows 'Under Process'
VFS helpline has been unhelpful as they repeat what I already know - the VFS email address they suggested I write to has bounced back!

Is there anything I can do to expedite the matter? Get back my originals for a start....
As we intend to travel to India on a holiday, would you recommend we apply for tourist visas?

Any guidance or suggestions gratefully received - many thanks

SpokenHands

Re: 7 weeks - originals not returned, and still 'under proce

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 am

I called and sent several emails to VFS London and Birmingham and got stock responses that any applicant would know, no factual information or clarity.

At 8 weeks, I called and sent emails to HCI London and CGI Birmingham who very very professional and responsive.
No apologies per se but
1. my originals have been returned to me by Dx courier the next day (after 8 weeks);
2. our OCI applications have been granted 17 June (after 8 weeks); but does not show despatched.

I have written to CGI Birmingham and HCI London to enquire if there is any way this despatch to HCI Birmingham can be expedited as we have travel to India planned in 4 weeks / 18 July and I am seeing huge delays in depsatch. Lets see what happens.

Do you think I should apply for a tourist visa for all 4 to be on the safe side?

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:02 am

SpokenHands wrote:I called and sent several emails to VFS London and Birmingham and got stock responses that any applicant would know, no factual information or clarity.

At 8 weeks, I called and sent emails to HCI London and CGI Birmingham who very very professional and responsive.
No apologies per se but
1. my originals have been returned to me by Dx courier the next day (after 8 weeks);
2. our OCI applications have been granted 17 June (after 8 weeks); but does not show despatched.

I have written to CGI Birmingham and HCI London to enquire if there is any way this despatch to HCI Birmingham can be expedited as we have travel to India planned in 4 weeks / 18 July and I am seeing huge delays in depsatch. Lets see what happens.

Do you think I should apply for a tourist visa for all 4 to be on the safe side?

Good that there has been some respite to the situation. As you have about a month before journey, I would suggest to wait as the documents should arrive by then.
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:35 am

Thank you for your suggestion.

To my surprise, the document has been despatched from Delhi to Birmingham the next day (not incurring the several days delay many forum members have been reporting) so I expect to visit VFS Birmingham this week when it arrives. I hope it will then take 2-3 days to be affixed on passport etc.

AR

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 am

Do they still affix that U visa sticker on passport?

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes there is a U-sticker on the passports.

We have finally got our British Passports returned (with U-sticker affixed), and the OCI booklets.

Have to say response from the CGI Birmingham was excellent (on email, within 10 hours or less)
They followed up our requests for information and action with the OCI section and even called me with updates.

VFS was terrible, no specific information and completely unhelpful.
They give you standard information that is available on the website so completely pointless.
In fact reason for delays largely attributed to opaque VFS processes

DX courier services are a joke - over-charging and poor service.
I would use Royal Mail Special Delivery if I was doing this again

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:26 am

SpokenHands wrote: VFS was terrible, no specific information and completely unhelpful.
They give you standard information that is available on the website so completely pointless.
In fact reason for delays largely attributed to opaque VFS processes

I agree with you, VFS is an absolute joke! A global company run by a bunch of idiots, we cannot blame the staff they have no other options, but, to reflect His/Her Master's Voice (HMV)!!

Shame that India Govt. is associated with such a firm! any way there are many links who get a share of the service charge.
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:00 pm

But I read a notification that they have stopped putting U visa sticker. How come so long after this notification they are still putting those silly sticker on passports?

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:31 pm

I am not sure what's going on - quite clear the OCI process is very different in UK, US, Australia - each of these high commissions appear to deviate from the norm with their document requirements, number of copies requested of applications etc. what is uniform is the poor service from VFS who have unclear and opaque ways of working.

The OCI booklet itself has no pages for immigration stamps so I am quite happy that there is a U sticker because should anyone want to record entry/exit, it is clear against which visa this is being done. Mind you, entry into India is meant to be with OCI booklet alone and they need not see the British passport I was told.

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:42 pm

I will not blame VFS at all.

VFS can provide and clarify whatever info HCI provides them and authorises them to pass on to the public. When HCI and CGI dealt with applications directly, it was same.

At least now applicants do not have to run to HCI/CGI and que up hours in advance.

Art_Vanderlay
Newly Registered

Post by Art_Vanderlay » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 am

SpokenHands/others,

Once the status report says documents have been received at Birmingham, what is the process? Do you just show up at VFS Birmingham with your passport and other doucuments, or do you need an appointment? And how long does it take from depositing the passport with them to getting it back via DX with the OCI bookoet/stickers, etc?

I applied several weeks back and my status report is showing 'processed' today. I am hoping that it will be sent out from Delhi and will reach Birmingham soon. Thing is, I am travelling to India on Sept 12 and so the time is a bit tight, perhaps I should also apply for a visa to be on the safe side (I see it is possible to do e-visas now). Grateful for your insights on the above questions!

Ta,
AV

satellite

Post by satellite » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Art_Vanderlay wrote:SpokenHands/others,

Once the status report says documents have been received at Birmingham, what is the process? Do you just show up at VFS Birmingham with your passport and other doucuments, or do you need an appointment? And how long does it take from depositing the passport with them to getting it back via DX with the OCI bookoet/stickers, etc?

I applied several weeks back and my status report is showing 'processed' today. I am hoping that it will be sent out from Delhi and will reach Birmingham soon. Thing is, I am travelling to India on Sept 12 and so the time is a bit tight, perhaps I should also apply for a visa to be on the safe side (I see it is possible to do e-visas now). Grateful for your insights on the above questions!

Ta,
AV
Does it say "Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 26-08-2015 "? It will be 1 and half weeks or 2 weeks before it arrives in London,then another week for your passport to be stamped. So it might be a good idea for you to make an e-visa a week before you go if you're going for less than 30 days.

Art_Vanderlay
Newly Registered

Post by Art_Vanderlay » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi Satellite,

It is now saying Documents sent from New Delhi on 26 August. But still, you're right, there is a reasonable chance that I won't get it on time, and so I should get myself a e-visa. Thanks for your helpful reply!

AV

satellite

Post by satellite » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Actually,since it was already dispatched yesterday, you might be able to receive it in time. Hopefully it should arrive in London by the end of next week so the best thing you could do is to go give your passport to the VFS centre on the same day. Whilst you're there, tell them that you need to travel on the 12th so they may speed up your OCI stamping as you will need the passport to travel anyway. You could also chase up the Birmingham CGI for your passport too.

Art_Vanderlay
Newly Registered

Post by Art_Vanderlay » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Satellite,

It is now showing that it has been received at Birmingham on 28 August. So I suppose I should aim to go on Tuesday 1 September (since Monday is a bank holiday) to VFS. Quick question: do I just show up at VFS without an appointment? At what time? Grateful for your thoughts!

Thanks,
AV

satellite

Post by satellite » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi,

That's great! I've never seen the status progress that fast before! But yes, go on Tuesday and you'll need your passport, the £7.25 Royal Mail 500g special delivery envelope ( or you can use VFS's courier but that costs £14) and a print out of your Online Status ( the page which shows that your OCI has been received in Birmingham). You don't need an appointment, you should receive your passport back within a week :D

Art_Vanderlay
Newly Registered

Post by Art_Vanderlay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Trip to Smethwick duly made today (not a place I'd like to visit too many times!). Thanks a lot for your advice, Satellite.

satellite

Post by satellite » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 pm

You're welcome :) Glad your OCI application worked out for you.

johnturnerbrit
Newly Registered

Post by johnturnerbrit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks satellite. Your posts were helpful.