ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing dogs into Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rnc312
United States of America

Bringing dogs into Ireland

Post by rnc312 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Are there any breed-specific laws in Ireland against certain types of dogs being allowed to enter Ireland?

Also, is it true quarantine will last six months? It seems like I read somewhere that 72 hours quarantine would be allowed if a dog coming into Ireland met all the conditions set forth to enter ...

Thank you.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:39 pm

As far as I am aware, most pets originating outside of the EU will have to spend the full 6 months in Lissenhall. I believe there are ways around this by taking your pet to another EU country and then to Ireland. Have a look at this site, it might have some useful info:

http://www.irishanimals.com/quarantine/index.html

It would appear that if you are coming from a country other than those listed you have to go through the 6 month quarantine.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/file ... Sept07.pdf

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 am

How to travel into Ireland with your pet dog or cat (except from the UK)

Conditions of Travel

Under the EU pet passport system it is possible to bring accompanied pet dogs and cats into Ireland without the need for quarantine from a range of countries deemed low risk for rabies provided that certain conditions are met.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp ... travel.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your response! I will be bringing dogs into Ireland from the U.S., which is on the list of eligible non-EU countries. So, I take this to mean our dogs will not have to go through quarantine!

Can I assume there are no existing lrish laws -- such as Britain's Dangerous Dogs Act -- that prevent pit-bulls from entering your country?

Thanks again.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Last Updated: 07/07/2007 09:39
Council introduces 'dangerous dog' ban

Dublin City Council is to introduce a ban on eleven breeds of dog from properties including houses, flats and estates, with immediate effect.

The breeds are: English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Doberman, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Japanese Akita, Bull Mastiff, Japanese Tosa and Bandog. Cross-breeds of these dogs or crosses of these dogs with any other breed are also banned.

Owners will be given the opportunity to rehouse the dogs but if alternative accommodation cannot be found for they will be destroyed.

The council has taken the step to remove all "dangerous breeds" due to the increasing numbers of complaints from tenants and because of the legal implications associated with an attack taking place on one of its properties.

The ban initially applies to council housing and all public areas within council estates.

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 am

Thanks for the info. Dublin is acutally where we wanted to settle ... just our luck ...

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:22 am

P.S. - This ban only applies to the City of Dublin, but it does not encompass Greater Dublin, correct? We are willing to commute into the city ... I guess we'd have to live on the outskirts until our pit-bulls pass away, then we'd be able to live in Dublin proper. (I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.)

Thank you.

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 am

P.P.S. - Does this ban in the City of Dublin apply only to tenants in housing estates and flat complexes? Am I mistaken but aren't housing estates essentially public housing run by the city? Are flat complexes also city property?

Maybe I can bring pitbulls into Dublin after all?

"Dublin City Council has introduced a ban on the following dog breeds or crosses of these breeds with other dogs, within their housing estates and flat complexes"

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:36 am

rnc312 wrote:P.P.S. - Does this ban in the City of Dublin apply only to tenants in housing estates and flat complexes? Am I mistaken but aren't housing estates essentially public housing run by the city? Are flat complexes also city property?

Maybe I can bring pitbulls into Dublin after all?

"Dublin City Council has introduced a ban on the following dog breeds or crosses of these breeds with other dogs, within their housing estates and flat complexes"
Apparently pit bulls are not (yet) banned in the Republic of Ireland:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... ol_of_dogs

It's probably only a matter of time before an incident brings this about, however. Something like this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 980578.stm

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Right, pitbulls are legal in Ireland, except in the City of Dublin's pubic housing. The Dublin City Council appears to be in the process of trying to make pitbulls and other selected dangerous dog breeds illegal in public places as well (parks, for example).

I agree that it is very likely the Republic Ireland will have a ban in place before me, my wife, and child will be able to make it across the Atlantic.