ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

benson147
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by benson147 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:57 pm

vivienna wrote:Hi guys
Can you apply for a British passport before you attend a citizenship ceremony and receive the certificate? Or do you have to wait until after the ceremony and then apply?

Thanks!
No you cannot, because you are not a citizen until after you attend the ceremony as you will need to send off that certificate together with your application form.

pwh
Newly Registered

Post by pwh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:36 am

Timeline update

Application Timeline
Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (naturalised)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 8 March 2015 (posted first class 9 March 2015)
Date application received by IPS: Unknown (no SMS received)
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Letter dated 20 April 2015
Date of Passport Appointment: 1 May 2015
Date of Passport Receipt: Waiting

Additional timeline information:
Status after applying online: Error message that "Application status not available"
HMPO sent letter dated 12 March to the effect they were unable to get my details out of the online system due to system errors and I should complete a paper form (which I did not).
Online status at some point changed to Awaiting information from the applicant
Rang HMPO 30 March and they said their online system was working now and they could see my details and they would put it back in the pile for processing and the paper form was not needed after all
Online status at some point changed to Declaration form received, being processed
Received the dreaded "complete section 4" letter with another paper form to complete on 9 April dated 2 April requesting I complete section 4 on parents (do not complete other sections, do not sign) as the online system did not request it. Posted back 10 April.

Further delays: I received a letter dated 13 April asking why I wanted documents returned to an address other than my residential address (its because my work mail is more secure than mail to home) and requesting a letter from my employer on letterhead stating I work then and I have permission to receive mail there. If this is an additional documentation requirement, then why isn't this requested by the online system at time of application instead of 6 weeks later? If I knew additional documentation would be required, I wouldn't have bothered entering an alternative delivery address.

I recommend:
* DON'T use the online system if you are naturalised (though according to some reports this may have been recently addressed)
* DON'T specify an alternative delivery address (more hoops to jump through which will delay the process)

Assuming passport arrives around a week after the interview, total time to process is going to be about 9 weeks for what should have been a straight forward passport application where the online form was filled out correctly, yet some other people on this forum are getting theirs in 2 to 3 weeks.

pwh
Newly Registered

Post by pwh » Fri May 08, 2015 11:56 am

Timeline update

Application Timeline
Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (naturalised)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 7 March 2015 (posted first class 9 March 2015)
Date application received by IPS: Unknown (no SMS received)
Date of return of documents: Still waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Letter dated 20 April 2015
Date of Passport Appointment: 1 May 2015
Date of Passport Receipt: 8 May 2015

So passport took 9 weeks, still waiting on return of documents. To avoid delays:
* Don't use their buggy "beta" online system... it says beta for a reason
* Do include parents details even if the paper form suggests you don't need it
* Don't get delivered to an address other than your residential address

cxxr
Newly Registered

Post by cxxr » Mon May 18, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm about to apply for a British Passport as my wife is now a BRitish Citizen (on 14th May).

I've read some of the forum posts.

I was going to apply online, but where I was totally confused is the part about Parents and Grandparents. It is totally irrelevant as they are non-british nationals. My wife also doesnt know their marriage date. Also it would be impossible to find out her grandparents details as they are all dead.

I decided not to use the online form - and instead fill in a form from the post office.

I have read they still want those details of parents and grandparents in section 8. It seem contradictory.

My question is:

Has anyone filled in the Paper form and not filled in the Parents details (or grandparents) for any reason. And have their forms accepted?

imraniqbal2010
Member of Standing

Post by imraniqbal2010 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Whats happening any new updates on Passport Applications. What is the average waiting time these days? Thanks

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:08 am

Got our (spouse and me) standard passport renewals within about 3 weeks (overseas). Used the online system and it went smoothly. No additional documents needed to be sent other than old passports, signed declaration forms, and photos.

Highly recommend using online as it might go faster and be preferred by them, and minimizes paper handling and glitches.

Samaralady

Applying for British Passport in Person

Post by Samaralady » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 pm

I hope I'm not duplicating a query here (fear strikes), but I'm wondering if there is any way of not having to send in your vital documents by post when applying for my first British passport. Something like NCS but for passports, I don't want to send in my certificate of naturalisation (original) and my original German passport (more worried about the certificate of naturalisation).

I hope someone here can help - thank you!

Kate
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:48 pm

I believe copies are now acceptable. For other passports, they require every page be copied.

meeza
Newly Registered

Post by meeza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Richard8655 wrote:I believe copies are now acceptable. For other passports, they require every page be copied.
Copies acceptable for old passports instead of sending originals? Any link for verifying this information please?

thanks.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:32 pm

meeza wrote:
Richard8655 wrote:I believe copies are now acceptable. For other passports, they require every page be copied.
Copies acceptable for old passports instead of sending originals? Any link for verifying this information please?

thanks.
"A full colour copy of any other uncancelled passports relating to you"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... UG2014.PDF

meeza
Newly Registered

Post by meeza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Richard8655 wrote:
meeza wrote:

thanks.

thanks so much! Did this change anytime in the past or the guide has always had same requirement that one can submit the copies?
still can't believe that we don't have to send the original passports!

thanks again.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Oh yes for sure, glad this information helped! A number of years ago you had to send in your original other foreign passports. But since people complained they couldn't travel without a passport, needed it for local ID purposes, and that their other passports were the property of those governments, the Foreign Office relented and changed to colour copies of every page of each passport.

Best of luck in your application! It should go well.

meeza
Newly Registered

Post by meeza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Richard8655 wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... UG2014.PDF[/quote]

Oh yes for sure, glad this information helped! A number of years ago you had to send in your original other foreign passports. But since people complained they couldn't travel without a passport, needed it for local ID purposes, and that their other passports were the property of those governments, the Foreign Office relented and changed to colour copies of every page of each passport.

Best of luck in your application! It should go well.[/quote]

thanks!

meeza
Newly Registered

Post by meeza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Richard8655 wrote:
meeza wrote:

thanks.

this guide is for applications to be made from 'Outside the UK'..:S

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

The other passport requirements should be the same no matter where you apply from. Find the domestic section and use that.

meeza
Newly Registered

Post by meeza » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:52 am

Richard8655 wrote:The other passport requirements should be the same no matter where you apply from. Find the domestic section and use that.
Guide for applications from 'With-in UK' doesn't mention if one can send colored copies; or atleast I couldnt find it.
Spoke to Passport Office; they advised that I can submit the colored copies if I cannot part with the Passport for work related or any other compelling reasons. But they advised that I should attach a cover letter explaining why I'm not sending original passport and a letter from employer if the reason is work related.

So I have submitted the application with colored copies and advised letters.

thanks for your help!

RJ - India
Newly Registered

Post by RJ - India » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 am

Does it work for newly naturalised citizens applying for first adult passport?

SayNoMore
Newly Registered

Post by SayNoMore » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:58 pm

I have the same problem "need passport for planned business travels".
Is it working for UK applicants for the first naturalized passport? Can I apply with just colour copies of my actual foreign passport? being in UK.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Per previous posts and my experience, it looks like providing a color copy of any foreign passports is fine if renewing from overseas. But if renewing within the UK, a cover letter is needed with the color copy explaining why the original passport couldn't be included.

I wish the Passport Office would make these rules more clear.

jeff.lebowski
Poland

Post by jeff.lebowski » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi All,

My application for British citizenship has been approved and I have booked a ceremony on 26th January.
Once I have my certificate in hand I want to apply for my first British passport.

Has any one of you recently applied for a passport online? What was your experience? Would you recommend it? I know it is still in beta service and am wondering whether to apply online or use Post Office Check & Send.

I am aware that if you apply online you can track status of your application. Any other advantages? Is it quicker to process?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 pm

I strongly recommend online, as it's a smoother process and less error prone. I also believe it'll be faster as handling paperwork and forms on both ends is cumbersome and risks loss of the application or parts of it. Finally, I have the impression they prefer online as it eases their workload by reducing paperwork processing.

As you mentioned, online is also trackable and submission can be verified.

Louise Holland
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Passport online - Return of documen

Post by Louise Holland » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 am

Hi there
I have just discovered this site and hope someone can answer my questions. I am a New Zealand passport holder and have applied for a UK passport online as my Father was born in the UK. All the processing has gone well. But I am confused. Today I received all my original documents back in the mail from the UK Passport Office but with no letter included. Does this mean I have been rejected? Or is my passport coming by separate courier? Not sure what to do next, do I reapply but I don't know what mistakes I made in my last application. Advice would be most appreciated.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:20 am

Louise Holland wrote:Hi there
I have just discovered this site and hope someone can answer my questions. I am a New Zealand passport holder and have applied for a UK passport online as my Father was born in the UK. All the processing has gone well. But I am confused. Today I received all my original documents back in the mail from the UK Passport Office but with no letter included. Does this mean I have been rejected? Or is my passport coming by separate courier? Not sure what to do next, do I reapply but I don't know what mistakes I made in my last application. Advice would be most appreciated.
I assume you applied entirely by paper application rather than online. They normally don't return all of the applicant's documents with the exception of foreign or old passports. If they also returned your signed paper application, then likely something was not quite right. It's strange they wouldn't have attached a note with explanation.

I would contact them via email and reference your application number, name, and address. Explain what you've received back and ask for further advice on what next steps are needed. I hear they're very good in their email responses. Search the UK Passport Office website for email inquiries.

Good luck!

fei503
Newly Registered

Post by fei503 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Louise Holland wrote:Hi there
This is normal. They send back original documents and interview letter separately.
You could call the passport advice line and find out if your interview letter has been dispatched. Sometimes you could go ahead and book your interview even without the letter.
I also applied online. Got my documents back after one week and I booked my interview the next day.The interview letter arrived two days later.

ScopeD
Member of Standing

Post by ScopeD » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:17 am

Richard8655 wrote:
I assume you applied entirely by paper application rather than online. They normally don't return all of the applicant's documents with the exception of foreign or old passports. If they also returned your signed paper application, then likely something was not quite right. It's strange they wouldn't have attached a note with explanation.

I would contact them via email and reference your application number, name, and address. Explain what you've received back and ask for further advice on what next steps are needed. I hear they're very good in their email responses. Search the UK Passport Office website for email inquiries.

Good luck!
Why do you say they don't normally return documents? They will return them if you submit documents such as birth certificates etc.