ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - 10 yr vs 5 yr route

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SB_ILR
Newly Registered

ILR - 10 yr vs 5 yr route

Post by SB_ILR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:28 am

Hi Guys

Need some help. I am eligible to apply for ILR under two routes:
- 5 year route (combination of Tier 1 and Tier 2)
- 10 year long residency

Looking at the forms, it seems the 10 year form doesn't require much information as long as you have all your passports and UK visas, which I do. I don't have 2 BRP's for my previous two visas as you submit these back to the home office when you renew. Do you know if this is an issue? So for example, I have no visa stamp in my passport from 2008 onwards, as this is when BRP was introduced. The BRP I have is from 2013 onwards. The BRP's issued between 2008 and 2013 have been returned to the home office. This should be on their record really but i don't have copies. So based on my understanding I plan to submit:

2 passports which include visas (pre 08) and immigration stamps for days spent travelling outside the UK
1 BRP for my most recent visa (2013 to now)
UK life test
Application form
Degree - for English proof

Under the 10 year route it seems like you don't need to show any earnings proof or even the fact that you work (!), both of which I do. Is this correct?

Do you know if the amount of scrutiny is much more applying via the 10 year compared to the 5 year route?

I am planning to apply via the premium service.

Apologies if this has been covered in the past. Will be great to see a checklist of documents for the LR route so I can validate my understanding. Seems to straight forward to me currently :)

Many thanks in advance!
SB

SB_ILR
Newly Registered

Re: ILR - 10 yr vs 5 yr route

Post by SB_ILR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:28 pm

anyone?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:37 pm

SB_ILR wrote:Hi Guys

Need some help. I am eligible to apply for ILR under two routes:
- 5 year route (combination of Tier 1 and Tier 2)
- 10 year long residency

Looking at the forms, it seems the 10 year form doesn't require much information as long as you have all your passports and UK visas, which I do. I don't have 2 BRP's for my previous two visas as you submit these back to the home office when you renew. Do you know if this is an issue? So for example, I have no visa stamp in my passport from 2008 onwards, as this is when BRP was introduced. The BRP I have is from 2013 onwards. The BRP's issued between 2008 and 2013 have been returned to the home office. This should be on their record really but i don't have copies. So based on my understanding I plan to submit:

2 passports which include visas (pre 08) and immigration stamps for days spent travelling outside the UK
1 BRP for my most recent visa (2013 to now)
UK life test
Application form
Degree - for English proof

Under the 10 year route it seems like you don't need to show any earnings proof or even the fact that you work (!), both of which I do. Is this correct?

Do you know if the amount of scrutiny is much more applying via the 10 year compared to the 5 year route?

I am planning to apply via the premium service.

Apologies if this has been covered in the past. Will be great to see a checklist of documents for the LR route so I can validate my understanding. Seems to straight forward to me currently :)

Many thanks in advance!
SB
For 10 year, they are allowed to check HMRC records etc... don't forget to include 2 passport photos. They will also look closely at your number of days outside the country in the 10 years (not more than 540 days). But the main requirement of the 10 year route is that you have held (nearly) continuous legal standing in the UK for 10 years.

Your checklist is fine.

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:02 pm

I think premium appointment is not available for 10 years route.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:40 pm

PrestonLancs wrote:I think premium appointment is not available for 10 years route.
It is now.

A problem with Long Residence applicants is that dependants cannot be included.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SB_ILR
Newly Registered

Post by SB_ILR » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks guys. Don't have any dependents.

Also happy for them to checks HMRC records, just don't want to go through the hassle of collating earnings for the last few years.

mmc

Post by mmc » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:18 pm

SB_ILR wrote:Thanks guys. Don't have any dependents.

Also happy for them to checks HMRC records, just don't want to go through the hassle of collating earnings for the last few years.

5 years route is more better than 10 years route. 5 years route shows your productivity and economic help in this country and less check will be made against your file. It will also help in your nationality as they will only check 5 years time and will process your application more quickly than on 10 years route.
MMC