ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

irish citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

room1102

irish citizenship application

Post by room1102 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:56 pm

has anyone recent recived their citizenship certificate from DOJ? if you do, you want to share your experience? i submitted my application last year. i was wondering. if i submitted everything correctly, will DOJ ask for anything else? I have been told by someone that DOJ would ask for recent payslip or bank statement once when they started to process the citizenship applicantion, is that true?

thx

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:25 am

Good morning,

I submitted my application for Irish citizenship last year as well (Aug 06). Withing a few weeks I got a letter saying they received my application & issued me a reference number. This is the last I've heard from them.

Processing times are always increasing, now I hear it's from 2.5 years-3 years from time of applying. They will not contact you until they start processing your application & if they need any additional info, they will ask at that time, not before. Bit annoying as I personally would like to head up any potential problems or missing info now instead of later but that's the way they do things.

Good luck with it.

Maria

room1102

Post by room1102 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:16 pm

marialear wrote:Good morning,

I submitted my application for Irish citizenship last year as well (Aug 06). Withing a few weeks I got a letter saying they received my application & issued me a reference number. This is the last I've heard from them.

Processing times are always increasing, now I hear it's from 2.5 years-3 years from time of applying. They will not contact you until they start processing your application & if they need any additional info, they will ask at that time, not before. Bit annoying as I personally would like to head up any potential problems or missing info now instead of later but that's the way they do things.

Good luck with it.

Maria
hey maria

just wondering, i read it in another post from you. you also applied for long term residency. have you heard anything from DOJ at all about this?

thx

marialear

Post by marialear » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 am

No, haven't got it yet. I was talking to the Dept on Sept 17th & they are processing apps received July 2006. Currently a 14month wait.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:17 pm

I strongly suggest that anyone who is thinking of moving to Ireland to rather opt for the UK and in the process save yourself (and your family) a lot of pain. It really isnt worth it and I would go as far as saying that you will have an overall better quality of life in the UK. Ireland has been over-hyped for far too long!

rustig
Newly Registered

Citizenship

Post by rustig » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 am

I have to agree with joesoap101. I am here nearly seven years. Applied 12 months ago and still waiting. Told at the end of 2008, maybe. In meantime applied to move to Canada. Leave this place to the drunks and Bertie and his mafia. Go to countries that have a long history of ups and downs with economy. Ireland will not make it in the long run. It is overrated and they only exploit non-nationals to keep economy afloat. There are far nicer places in EU than here.

archigabe

Parliament proceedings on Citizenship applications

Post by archigabe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:22 pm

some news on the Naturalisation applications in Ireland...

originally posted here...

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/t ... 6/pkey/653
but now it's been taken off.

You can now find it on the google cache here...

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:l9eH ... =clnk&cd=3
''Leinster House Contact:Denis Naughten TD,Immigration
Dublin 2
Ireland 086 6992080

Tuesday 9th September 2007

Minister unable to explain 1,700% increase in citizenship applications - Naughten

Justice Minister Brian Lenihan was unable to explain to the Dáil a 1,700% increase over a five day period in applications for Irish citizenship, Fine Gael Immigration Spokesman Denis Naughten TD said today (Tuesday).
On the floor of the Dáil, Deputy Naughten pointed out to the Minister that on 26th September last, there were 14,400 applications for certificates of naturalisation (citizenship) on hand within the Department. However, five working days later on October 4th, this had increased to 17,000 applications, which is an increase of 520 applications per day.

Up to this point, the average number of applications per working day has been approximately 30. Yet it is unbelievable to contemplate that our Minister for Justice, who is in charge of the immigration and naturalisation process, is unaware of such a significant discrepancy in the figures in such a very short period of time. It is clear that neither the Minister nor the Department have a handle on the significant challenges presented by the immigration process.

Fine Gael Spokesperson for Immigration, Denis Naughten has condemned the Government for failing to prioritise two vital pieces of immigration legislation, even though they were committed to fast tracking the legislation before the General Election.

It is now clear that there is an urgent need for clear and transparent immigration residency and naturalisation legislation in this country. The present system is opaque and ineffective, yet the Minister failed this afternoon to indicate when the new immigration law will be introduced into the Dáil.

This attitude will not address fundamental problems of the exploitation of immigrants and the management of immigration with clear and transparent rules.

"Up to the end of September it was taking approximately two and a half years to process an application for citizenship. This was after applicants had already had to wait for the statutory five years before applying. These applicants include spouses of Irish citizens, professionals running their own companies who are securing long-term employment for Irish staff."

Please find attached two Parliamentary Questions concerning citizenship applications.

QUESTION NO: 120

Last edited by archigabe on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 am

The Irish government should be embarrassed about this. They are utterly incompetent. Like I said before, they should ask the British government to show them how to do it- I recently spoke to a friend who had his application for naturalisation approved in 1 week in the UK. I mean where does it end? A 4 year or 5 year wait after applying? Why do people pay €634 for citizenship? They should use this money to employ more staff - in fact, the immigration section actually turned a profit last year - how ridiculous!

Avoid Ireland- its not worth it!

Fionn

Irish Citizenship

Post by Fionn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:23 pm

..They're probably hoping that peole would just give up and leave the country after 2, 3 or 4 years. I don't understand how aminister can just stand up at such in front of such an important audience and read the facts without feeling bad about it.
Anyway..One of my friends got his application approved in Germany within 2 months..And do you know how many applications get approved in a year? over 150000. You can just compare these figures with the irish ones, to see how useless this government is...The 17000 applications would be processed in a month over there!

room1102

wating time

Post by room1102 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm

you know, one thing sad about this whole citizenship bullshit is, they asked the people wait for 5 years before they apply. after the applicant submitted the application for citizenship til the DOJ make the decision, there is not protection for the immigrants at all. the imigrant in wait will still get the abuse from the idiots up in GNIB whenever they need to renew their stamps in the passport. i read many posts in this forum. is there anyone has one thing good to say about the DOJ in Ireland?

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Irish Citizenship

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Fionn wrote:..They're probably hoping that peole would just give up and leave the country after 2, 3 or 4 years. I don't understand how aminister can just stand up at such in front of such an important audience and read the facts without feeling bad about it.
Anyway..One of my friends got his application approved in Germany within 2 months..And do you know how many applications get approved in a year? over 150000. You can just compare these figures with the irish ones, to see how useless this government is...The 17000 applications would be processed in a month over there!
The requirement for naturalisation in Germany is 7-8 years, unless he married a German national? Plus the language test. So he probably had a longer path in Germany than he would have in Ireland.

I agree with your first statement, though. Seems they want people to jump ship before a decision is reached!

room1102

Post by room1102 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:42 pm

sakura wrote:
Fionn wrote:..They're probably hoping that peole would just give up and leave the country after 2, 3 or 4 years. I don't understand how aminister can just stand up at such in front of such an important audience and read the facts without feeling bad about it.
The requirement for naturalisation in Germany is 7-8 years, unless he married a German national? Plus the language test. So he probably had a longer path in Germany than he would have in Ireland.

I agree with your first statement, though. Seems they want people to jump ship before a decision is reached!
i agreed with you that naturalisation time in Germany is 7 to 8 years. you see, if the irish government increased the naturalisaiton requirement from 5 to 8 and you have 3 years waiting time after. what will you feel? it used to be 4 years for the naturalisation in ireland. to be honest, if you take a read of the irish immigration stuff for past 10 years. they have added on more restrictions instead of making the system is more efficient. if they keep on putting in more restrictions without changing the time for legal immigrant getting what they need, i have this idea in my mind for long time. i want to make a website call www.ihateireland.com, i think it will be the first of its kind. i have read so much in the internet about ireland is so good blah blah blah. it is all hype. i agreed that some of the stuff in ireland is pretty good, but for legal immigrant to live in the country and treated like a criminal by those idiots in the irish immigration. this is sad. they want people to fit into their society. like what? drink like hell over the weekend? thats all my irish friends do almost every weekend. i used to have sympathy for the irish people becasue ireland has no money and they have to go work abroad to support their family and trying to escape poverty. not anymore after i have experienced it myself that irish hospitality in the irish immigration.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:17 pm

room1102 wrote:
sakura wrote:

i agreed with you that naturalisation time in Germany is 7 to 8 years. you see, if the irish government increased the naturalisaiton requirement from 5 to 8 and you have 3 years waiting time after. what will you feel? it used to be 4 years for the naturalisation in ireland. to be honest, if you take a read of the irish immigration stuff for past 10 years. they have added on more restrictions instead of making the system is more efficient. if they keep on putting in more restrictions without changing the time for legal immigrant getting what they need, i have this idea in my mind for long time. i want to make a website call www.ihateireland.com, i think it will be the first of its kind. i have read so much in the internet about ireland is so good blah blah blah. it is all hype. i agreed that some of the stuff in ireland is pretty good, but for legal immigrant to live in the country and treated like a criminal by those idiots in the irish immigration. this is sad. they want people to fit into their society. like what? drink like hell over the weekend? thats all my irish friends do almost every weekend. i used to have sympathy for the irish people becasue ireland has no money and they have to go work abroad to support their family and trying to escape poverty. not anymore after i have experienced it myself that irish hospitality in the irish immigration.
Good point, I agree.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 pm

This post on the debate in the parliament on citizenship applications was on the Fine Gael Website and they took it off the website.
I can only find it on the google search cache now...I don't know why they are sensitive about this information.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:l9eH ... =clnk&cd=3

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Maybe they're afraid that the Irish people might consider them (Fine Gael) to be 'for' the immigrants and lets face it, the latest fashion in Ireland is to blame absolutely everything that is messed up in the country on the immigrants-

Irish Adult illiteracy rate is 25% - must be the immigrants.

Hospitals resembles those in very poor countries - thanks to the immigrants.

Irish roads are extremely dangerous - again the immigrants.

Traffic is terrible and the trains are packed - must be the immigrants.

Its ridiculous.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:45 pm

joesoap101 wrote:Maybe they're afraid that the Irish people might consider them (Fine Gael) to be 'for' the immigrants and lets face it, the latest fashion in Ireland is to blame absolutely everything that is messed up in the country on the immigrants-

Irish Adult illiteracy rate is 25% - must be the immigrants.

Hospitals resembles those in very poor countries - thanks to the immigrants.

Irish roads are extremely dangerous - again the immigrants.

Traffic is terrible and the trains are packed - must be the immigrants.

Its ridiculous.
Worst and most expensive public transport...probably the immigrants
Crime increasing...immigrants
Cartels make everything expensive....bloody immigrants
:)

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:51 pm

What I find interesting is that naturalization through ancestry takes maybe a few weeks whereas naturalization by residency takes years! Just goes to show that they really want to discourage anyone with non-irish blood from settling here.