ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re: Refused British Citizenship due to being in the UK Illeg

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

foufou

Post by foufou » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 pm

please if any body know how long they make decision on reconsideration application ? do u think using a legal advice is make different
thanks

Siraj ud-Daulah

Post by Siraj ud-Daulah » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 pm

foufou wrote:please if any body know how long they make decision on reconsideration application ? do u think using a legal advice is make different
thanks
Hi,
What visa did he have in those 3 years?
Thanks,
Siraj

Simroz
Newly Registered

Post by Simroz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:28 am

[

Hi,
What visa did he have in those 3 years?
Thanks,
Siraj[/quote]

He had work permit but not for the company he was working for . that's why he didn't let home office know.

Siraj ud-Daulah

Post by Siraj ud-Daulah » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Simroz wrote: He had work permit but not for the company he was working for . that's why he didn't let home office know.
How did he get his 3 years work permit? From the first company where he worked at first?

If that is the case, then best to wait until 10 years is over. Because Home Office checks everything now. The risk is not worth it, but senior members could confirm.

Mahm256

Post by Mahm256 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Simroz wrote:Hi Amber,

I have a question. My husband came to this country on student visa in 2002.He got his work permit in 2007 and worked for that company for 1 year. Then he switched after a year to the new job and worked till 2011 ( 3 years) for that company but didn't inform home office about change of his job because his new company was not ready for apply his work permit. He sort of illegally working for that period of time. After that he switched to my dependent visa (for last 4 years) and secure his ILR on 10 year basis last year August.
My question is he wants to apply for British citizenship, but with the new checks about 10 year employment records what are the chances that he will get caught ? if he would , is there any danger to his PR status and also my son british nationality>>
I am on tier 2 now and would apply for PR March 2016.

Please help??

can anyone reply ????[/quote]

Please Amber Help :(-[/quote]

Best bet they'll find out he was working for a different company using his NI and tax contributions provided by DWP. I'd advise not to take the risk. However you should understand that everyone has their own luck with HO, some have gained approval in circumstance that others have been refused for. With HO its luck, that's one thing I've learnt

armaanm
Newly Registered

Post by armaanm » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:49 pm

My Friend entered the UK illegally and claimed Asylum 17th October 2003 this was refused on 06th August 2004. He was required to report to Home office as was given TA which he failed to do so on several occasion and absconded .
He applied for residence card on 26th Feb 2009 which was granted in October 2009 for 5 years .

He applied for citizenship and has been refused because he was not compliant with UK Immigration Laws. And has been advised that he can apply in October 2019.

can you please advise what to do ?

foufou

Post by foufou » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:02 pm

armaanm wrote:My Friend entered the UK illegally and claimed Asylum 17th October 2003 this was refused on 06th August 2004. He was required to report to Home office as was given TA which he failed to do so on several occasion and absconded .
He applied for residence card on 26th Feb 2009 which was granted in October 2009 for 5 years .

He applied for citizenship and has been refused because he was not compliant with UK Immigration Laws. And has been advised that he can apply in October 2019.

can you please advise what to do ?
my story is same as your friend for every thing , just I wasn't required to report to home office . my refusal was last week and one more think the case worker accused me of working illegally , I am going to send reconsideration, I have the evidences

Simroz
Newly Registered

Post by Simroz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 am

Mahm256 wrote:

I have a question. My husband came to this country on student visa in 2002.He got his work permit in 2007 and worked for that company for 1 year. Then he switched after a year to the new job and worked till 2011 ( 3 years) for that company but didn't inform home office about change of his job because his new company was not ready for apply his work permit. He sort of illegally working for that period of time. After that he switched to my dependent visa (for last 4 years) and secure his ILR on 10 year basis last year August.
My question is he wants to apply for British citizenship, but with the new checks about 10 year employment records what are the chances that he will get caught ? if he would , is there any danger to his PR status and also my son british nationality>>

Please help??

can anyone reply ????

Please Amber Help :(-[/quote]

Best bet they'll find out he was working for a different company using his NI and tax contributions provided by DWP. I'd advise not to take the risk. However you should understand that everyone has their own luck with HO, some have gained approval in circumstance that others have been refused for. With HO its luck, that's one thing I've learnt[/quote]

yes I agree so far we have not been caught , when we applied different visas and ILR...
its a very hard decision to try our luck or not :(-
but the way they have been changing rules I am not sure if after 10 years they would ask for previous 10 year records ...

Smam

Post by Smam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am

Simroz wrote:
Mahm256 wrote:

Please help??

can anyone reply ????

Please Amber Help :(-
Best bet they'll find out he was working for a different company using his NI and tax contributions provided by DWP. I'd advise not to take the risk. However you should understand that everyone has their own luck with HO, some have gained approval in circumstance that others have been refused for. With HO its luck, that's one thing I've learnt[/quote]

yes I agree so far we have not been caught , when we applied different visas and ILR...
but the way they have been changing rules I am not sure if after 10 years they would ask for previous 10 year records ...[/quote]

Hi ,

Nothing can be done now. All I can say to you is just apply that's all I can say the maximum will happened is that it'll get refused you'll not hanged till death that's all I can say.

if you are willing to wait for another 10 years you never know they'll say that sorry we are not even naturalising any one any more.

So I would suggest just apply.

Its just purely luck that's all I can say.

I think the complex questions like yours I don't think so that you'll get a reply from any moderator cause they don't know their self what to say to you.

I guess as long as your husband was paying the tax it should be fine. you can write a cover letter that the company was trading under a different name may be my idea is completely stupid but it'll might work for you. and if your husbands gets the ILR then I think it doesn't really matter.

Keep us updated on the forum.

Good luck.

WeepNotChild
Newly Registered
Uganda

Post by WeepNotChild » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:00 am

Got a refusal from the HO today 25/07/15. The refusal paragraph states,
"You were granted temporary admission to the UK on the 15 April 2008. Applicants are normally given Temporary admission to a specific address, and as such must not change address without obtaining permission from the UK Border Agency. They are also required to report to an immigration officer or a police officer at specified intervals. If they fail to report they will be treated as an absconder. Upon checking Home Office records, it has been noted that you failed to report as required throughout January, February and March 2009 and was therefore deemed an absconder. You failed to make any contact with the Home Office until December 2010, when you submitted further submissions in relation to your refused asylum application. You were therefore not compliant with immigration laws from January 2009 to December 2010."
Any advice regarding reconsideration is highly appreciated.

roanne15

Post by roanne15 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm

WeepNotChild wrote:Got a refusal from the HO today 25/07/15. The refusal paragraph states,
"You were granted temporary admission to the UK on the 15 April 2008. Applicants are normally given Temporary admission to a specific address, and as such must not change address without obtaining permission from the UK Border Agency. They are also required to report to an immigration officer or a police officer at specified intervals. If they fail to report they will be treated as an absconder. Upon checking Home Office records, it has been noted that you failed to report as required throughout January, February and March 2009 and was therefore deemed an absconder. You failed to make any contact with the Home Office until December 2010, when you submitted further submissions in relation to your refused asylum application. You were therefore not compliant with immigration laws from January 2009 to December 2010."
Any advice regarding reconsideration is highly appreciated.

Despair not weepnotchild. The plus side is going forward you know what to do. l don't know if you will appeal this decision. Thanks again for updating this space, and given my previous enquiry would you suggest l give it a try in August 2015 (10 years known to HO) or wait until 2018 (10 years ILR)

Daniel97

Post by Daniel97 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Daniel97 wrote:HELP PLS
Can you tell me when i can apply for naturalisation,
I came to uk on 6 months visitor visa in February 2002,
Visa expired in August 2002,
Married a British citizen in May 2002,
Lodge FLRM application in July 2002,
Application refused in April 2004,
HO issued temporary admission to me,to be sign on,once every week,which i did for 5 years,
All appeals for the application of April 2004,exhausted in 2007,
Contact HO for reconsideration in 2008,HO advice to lodge another application on FLRO in 2008,on family life,while still on temporary Admission(reporting to HO once a week)
Application of 2008 (FLRO)granted in July 2009-July 2012,
Extension granted from July 2012-2015,
Indefinite granted July 2015,
Still married to the same British citizen,
So when do you think i can apply for citizenship,thanks

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 pm

Since you are married to a British Citizen, and its clear you have been resident lawfully for the last 3 years, you may apt for citizenship immediately. In citizenship applications based on marriage to a british citizen Daniel there is no requirement to have ILR for 12 months providing you have been here lawfully for 3 years from the date you apply for BC which in yourcase, you have!

Daniel97

Post by Daniel97 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 am

[quote="averagejoe"] Since you are married to a British Citizen, and its clear you have been resident lawfully for the last 3 years, you may apt for citizenship immediately. In citizenship applications based on marriage to a british citizen Daniel there is no requirement to have ILR for 12 months providing you have been here lawfully for 3 years from the date you apply for BC which in yourcase, you have! [

Thank you(Averagejoe)
What am really concern of is about GOOD CHARACTER that was just introduced late last year by the HO for citizenship,
Thanks

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:44 am

If you are worried then wait until July 2019.

Simroz
Newly Registered

Post by Simroz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 am

smam ,
Thanks for your reply.
yes that what we are thinking, if we wait 10 more years then probably they will say no more neutralization :(
one doubt is, would they cancel his ILR, if they will take refuse his application. and if they will cancel his ILR, would they cancel our children nationality too??
if this is the case, shall I wait until next March. when I am going to apply for my ILR, mine is pretty straight forward, 5 years on tier 2 visa for a very good company...
so this way at least out children would not lose their status.

but the way they have been changing rules I am not sure if after 10 years they would ask for previous 10 year records ...[/quote]

Hi ,

Nothing can be done now. All I can say to you is just apply that's all I can say the maximum will happened is that it'll get refused you'll not hanged till death that's all I can say.

if you are willing to wait for another 10 years you never know they'll say that sorry we are not even naturalising any one any more.

So I would suggest just apply.

Its just purely luck that's all I can say.

I think the complex questions like yours I don't think so that you'll get a reply from any moderator cause they don't know their self what to say to you.

I guess as long as your husband was paying the tax it should be fine. you can write a cover letter that the company was trading under a different name may be my idea is completely stupid but it'll might work for you. and if your husbands gets the ILR then I think it doesn't really matter.

Keep us updated on the forum.

Good luck.

orsino2olivia
Newly Registered

Post by orsino2olivia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Amber,
can you advise me in my case regarding British naturalization application as a refugee? my immigration history is as below:

Enter UK with student visa
Applied asylum without passport ( the agent took passport from me at the airport and disappeared)
Granted Rfugee status in a month time
Got ILR after 5 years
Submitted Naturalization application after 1 year ( submitted June 2015)
No criminal history , no absences etc
Do you think I can be refused citizenship due to this good character requirement of illegal entry?? I think there are thousands if similar cases , so your suggestion would be beneficial to a lot of people. Thanks

orsino2olivia
Newly Registered

Post by orsino2olivia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 pm

orsino2olivia wrote:Hi Amber,
can you advise me in my case regarding British naturalization application as a refugee? my immigration history is as below:

Enter UK with student visa 2008
Applied asylum next day without passport ( the agent took passport from me at the airport and disappeared)
Got ILR after 5 years
Do you think I can be refused citizenship due to this good character requirement of illegal entry?? I think there are thousands if similar cases , so your suggestion would be beneficial to a lot of people. Thanks

foufou

Post by foufou » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:56 pm

hi guys , please if any body know how long it take the reconsideration application , I sent mine on 28/07/2015
thanks

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

apply for reconsideration june 2015 :oops:
after passing 2 months speak to my local mp,
he got response today from H/O.
it'll take up to six months. :idea:

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 pm

The Home Office has quietly tightened up the criteria for granting British citizenship under the good character test. A number of undesirable behaviours have been added to the list of disqualifying behaviour, including illegal entry, assisting illegal migration and evasion of immigration control. The changes seem to have been made on 11 December 2014. The previous version of the guidance can be seen here and the new version here.

Unfortunately, these changes will prevent almost all refugees from qualifying for British citizenship for at least 10 years from their date of entry, as opposed to six years at present. This is arguably contrary to Article 31 of the Refugee Convention and certainly contrary to Article 34.

So you will be refuse, better to apply after 10 years, after receiving your refugees status.

Thanks

orsino2olivia wrote:Hi Amber,

Enter UK with student visa
Applied asylum without passport ( the agent took passport from me at the airport and disappeared)
Got ILR after 5 years

foufou

Post by foufou » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Rassel wrote:apply for reconsideration june 2015 :oops:
after passing 2 months speak to my local mp,
he got response today from H/O.
it'll take up to six months. :idea:
hi , did u receive acknowledjement letter after u send your reconsideration ? I think it should take about 2 to 3 months to decide your application that's what my solicitor told me , can u share with us what the grounds for the refusal ,thanks

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Amber

Would you please advise me.
Amber wrote:As per the updated FAQ (click) regarding the Good Character requirement (click), we have seen a number of refusals relating to a period where the applicant was in the UK illegally and this has attracted a 10 year ban from applying for citizenship from the period in which the applicant became known to the Home Office.

However, recent amendments to the residence guidance (click) suggests that the changes of the Good Character requirements are not meant to target Refugee's.

I have created the following letter which may be used by those who are refused due to a period of being in the UK unlawfully. This is generally aimed at those who were in the UK unlawfully at a time when they had or were about to make an Asylum claim and were subsequently granted Refugee Status. The below letter is just an example and should be modified for your particular case.

Complete form NR - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... orm-nr.pdf pay £80

Add the following:

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: Your details; name, address, DOB and Home Office ref.

I am requesting a reconsideration of the naturalisation decision dated xx/yy/zzzz. The reason I request this reconsideration is because I believe that my case has not been considered sufficiently.

My recent application for naturilisation was refused due to the period I was in the United Kingdom without leave to remain. It was suggested that this period without lawful residence cast doubt on my character. As you are aware, the Secretary of State has the discretion to grant citizenship where s(he) is satisfied that, inter alia, the applicant is of Good Character. The recent amendments (December 2014) to Annex D: the good character requirement guidance, stipulates that where the applicant entered the UK illegally the application should normally be refused for a 10 year period from the date in which the applicant came to the attention of the Home Office. I have highlighted the word normally, which indicates there is discretion to allow such applications before a 10 year period has lapsed.

I entered the UK as a clandestine in December 2007, at the time I was a child. I was soon in contact with Child Social Services at the local authority and I came to the attention of the Home Office in February 2008. An asylum application was submitted and I was granted Refugee Status in 2008, whilst I was still a child. I was subsequently granted settled status (ILR) in 2013. In order for you to consider whether the period I was in the UK illegally should be a reason for refusal, I would like to draw your attention to Annex B to Chapter 18, specifically paragraphs 8.8 – 8.11.

You should normally exercise discretion to disregard a breach of the immigration laws (i.e. a period of unlawful residence) where there are reasons which were clearly outside of my control. As per paragraph 8.10 an example is that the breach occurred at a time when the applicant was a minor, which was the circumstance in my case. I wish to highlight that I was a child until after my immigration application was granted. Moreover, another example, in the same paragraph is where the applicant entered as a clandestine and came to the attention of the Home Office shortly after arrival, this is usually within one month, however, considering I was a child, a two month period should be considered shortly. In addition, as per paragraph 8.11, discretion should be limited to cases where the breach of immigration law was not substantial or deliberate. In my case, the breach was not deliberate, I was a minor, facing persecution, and I had little option but to come to the UK as to avoid inhumane treatment. The breach should not be considered substantial as I came to the attention of the Home Office shortly after my arrival. After my stay was regularised, there were no further breaches and no other issue relating to my character.

Finally, I wish to highlight Section 31 of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and Article 31 of the Refugee Convention which states that Contracting States (such as the UK) should not impose penalties on account of illegal entry or presence in the UK. Moreover, under Article 34 of the Refugee Convention the UK is obliged to facilitate the naturalisation of refugees, this includes expedition of proceedings. A 10 year ban appears to be contrary to both Articles of the Refugee Convention and Section 31 of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

To summate, I have given clear reasons, with reference to your own guidance which illustrates that the short period I was in the UK illegally should be disregarded and that you should use your discretion and grant my application for citizenship. Not to do so will be ultra vires and I will have little option but to seek Judicial Review of the decision.

Yours Faithfully

Name

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Rassel wrote: Unfortunately, these changes will prevent almost all refugees from qualifying for British citizenship for at least 10 years from their date of entry, as opposed to six years at present. This is arguably contrary to Article 31 of the Refugee Convention and certainly contrary to Article 34.

So you will be refuse, better to apply after 10 years, after receiving your refugees status.
This is most likely wrong. OP applied the day after arriving. If you apply within 30 days, they should apply discretion and ignore the illegal period. The actual length of time is not set, but decided on a per case basis, but all refugee/asylum seekers should at least get the 30 days.

mavdi

Post by mavdi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 pm

t123456789 wrote:
Rassel wrote: Unfortunately, these changes will prevent almost all refugees from qualifying for British citizenship for at least 10 years from their date of entry, as opposed to six years at present. This is arguably contrary to Article 31 of the Refugee Convention and certainly contrary to Article 34.

This is most likely wrong. OP applied the day after arriving. If you apply within 30 days, they should apply discretion and ignore the illegal period. The actual length of time is not set, but decided on a per case basis, but all refugee/asylum seekers should at least get the 30 days.
Just going to leave this here. I claimed asylum the day after my arrival in the UK, I was then given Refugee status a year later. Applied for naturalisation in February and got my case approved. Being a refugee does not automatically disqualify you from naturalisation. As long as you applied soon after you got here int he UK and then was given refugee status you should be fine.