ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transfer of ILR stamp from old to new Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tt

Transfer of ILR stamp from old to new Passport

Post by tt » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:30 pm

Before the new regulations in August 2003 (and possibly before the 13 November 2003 "leave to enter" changes), I could enter Britain with indefinite leave on the basis of a "given leave to enter for an indefinite period" stamp in my passport, put there originally by an immigration officer into each new passport of mine on my first entry using the new passports. (Only the original passport having the necessary original ILR sticker).
Since August (or 13 November) 2003, the immigration officers say they can no longer put that stamp in passports on entry. One must apply to Home Office by mail or person and have a sticker put in (via application form NTL) which will cost GBP155 (mail), GBP250 (in person).

However, why would I need to put in a new sticker in my new passport, if the evidence is there (of my ILR status) in the old passport, and I carry that old passport with me.
Also, even if I don't carry the old passport with me, the entry date stamps already in the new passport do not have any restrictions to them (since I have up to now shown the old passport on each occasion showing my ILR status) and this, coupled with the fact that I am on the computer system as ILR, should surely make it obvious enough to the IO that I can continue entering the country with ILR, and thus continue to get entry date stamps without the "6 month, no work" type restrictions, even without me pointing out the fact to the IO.

Point is, I don't want to have to fork out the extra money for a new ILR sticker, nor carry my old passport with me. Can anyone advise?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:46 pm

You only need to pay the fee if you wish to get ILR endorsed on your ppt. If not then keep travelling on expired/ old ppt with ILR stamp and new/valid ppt - expect more inspection though as the IO needs to verify you haven't been away for more than 2 years. The advantage of ILR stamp on valid ppt is it makes most admin tasks requiring evidence of your UK immigration status primarily travel to and entry into the UK simpler. If you think you would rather go through the hastle of extra verification than forking out GBP155/250 then that's your prerogative. Have you considered obtaining British Citizenship and a British Passport if dual nationality issues are not a problem - might make life easier and cost you less in the longer term too.

ManchesterMan
Newly Registered

same question

Post by ManchesterMan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:12 pm

What is NTL? - I live in Manchster....so where do I go in-person to all - to get my ILR stamped on the new passport.

Regards,

K2004

Post by K2004 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:49 pm

I agree with you tt,

I am going to have a new passport soon, and i dont want to pay money to transfer the ILR to the new passport.

my only worry is: will it affect my future British citizen application if I didnt transfer my ILR to the new passport? ... :?

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:31 pm

will it affect my future British citizen application if I didnt transfer my ILR to the new passport? ...
As stated earlier by Kaya, its will not effect your application. It just increases the varification on your naturalisation application.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:13 am

Hi,
I'm not experienced with ILR, but my work permit was transfered from an expired passport to the new one by the imigration officer in heathrow in sept 04. also my wife and I were returning from spain in nov 04 and they transfered her work permit from the expired passport to the new one. No charges, no questions.
The WP are also stickers and the new WP is a simple stamp....so regardng WP i know they transfer at the port of entry without charges.
for ILR.....no idea, will let you know in 2 years time :wink:
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:47 pm

Try-One,

There is a charge involved for transfering ILR stamp to the new passport.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 0+passport

K2004

Post by K2004 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:32 pm

ok guys:

I am going on holiday to my country for xmas, I will get a new passport over there, when i am back i will ask the IO if they can transfer the ILR for me also if it is a MUST to to transfer the sticker in croydon and pay money. i will let you know around 3nd of JAN 2005.

(thats if they let me in anayway) :?

ManchesterMan
Newly Registered

Good Luck

Post by ManchesterMan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:26 am

Lol - good luck....look forward to seeing how you fare.

Regards,