ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application refused due to lack of CSI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilka
Newly Registered

Application refused due to lack of CSI

Post by ilka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi my nationality application has just been refused due to lack of CSI for the years 2008-2010 when I was a student. However, I have provided a certified, translated letter from the Polish national health provider that I was covered by their state insurance (NHS equivalent basically) during that time. I am a Polish citizen.

I had a couple of friends apply with the exact same papers and some got rejected (based on the CSI cirteria) and some got accepted. Is that a precedence that I could call out when requesting to reconsider the decision? Other arguments I could use?

Thank you!
I.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Application refused due to lack of CSI

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Non-UK EHIC health card can only work if the stay is temporary but otherwise CSI is strictly required.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

ilka
Newly Registered

Post by ilka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Is Polish state insurance not CSI? I do have confirmation of that. As mentioned above, it has been accepted for some of my friends.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 pm

If the polish state insurance is not an EHIC health card (the one usually an EU country issue to its nationals but in uk it is only valid if the stay is temporary) then it must cover you in UK in majority of health related circumstances throughout the period when you were living as a student. In such case it may be accepted as CSI.
REGARDS

ilka
Newly Registered

Post by ilka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:33 pm

I see, thank you for your response. I'd like clarify one more thing - I understand that the following is true:

In order to demonstrate that they have
appropriate CSI persons claiming a right of residence in the UK as a
student or self-sufficient person should provide one of the following:
 a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by a
Member State other than the UK;
 a valid S1, S2 or S3 form; or
 a comprehensive private medical insurance policy which covers
the holder for treatment in the UK in the majority of
circumstances.

(taken from: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/278 ... ick....pdf)

I did not have an EHIC, but EHIC is issued based on PL state insurance. I do have a confirmation of the state insurance. In this case was I covered or not?

Can I use the fact that my friends were accepted as precedent argument?

Thank you
I

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

I don't think it will give you any benefit for giving the reference of your friends. But usually any health insurance policy except cash benefits/NHS top ups from regardless of country/insurance provider must be acceptable as long as it provides coverage in majority of circumstances. That's the whole clue/guideline about CSI. Check your documents/certificate and if it does as mentioned above then it should be accepted.
REGARDS

ilka
Newly Registered

Post by ilka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:07 pm

I was definitely covered for the majority of situations. Thank you for the clarification, this is extremely helpful.

sagareva
BANNED

Post by sagareva » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:31 am

EHIC is just evidence of coverage that exists under an EU treaty, not coverage -- the letters should have been accepted

this is a known problem and has been covered in some policy papers

it is also known that some A8 countries did not actually issue ehics immediately after accession

if you were a student then your residence was temporary in nature so this should have worked

this is like most of teh time an unenlightened caseworker mistake

if this was a PR application you could appeal, but since you applied straight to nationality you can't

however asking for reconsideration may be worth it

i have an ILPA/AIRE paper on this somewhere here, cant give a link because it is saved on my computer... but basically there is no more difference between your letter and EHIC card, than there is between having a certificate of residence and not having it (eg evidence of a right, not a right). as we all know many HO ppl have trouble understanding this concept

2. EEA nationals temporarily staying in the UK who are habitually resident elsewhere in the EEA
Such individuals will be able, under Article 19(1) of Regulation 883/04, to get in-kind sickness benefits (i.e. NHS care) in the UK ‘which become necessary on medical grounds during their stay, taking into account the nature of the benefits and the expected length of the stay’. The NHS can send the bill to the social security institution of the State where the person is habitually resident. The UK Border Agency now recognises that such individuals meet the sickness insurance requirements inasmuch as UK Border Agency will accept a European Health Insurance Card. However, it is important to note that the European Health Insurance Card is only evidence of a right; if an EEA national temporarily staying in the UK can prove that (s)he is habitually resident in another Member State and covered by that Member State’s healthcare system by some other means, that too must suffice.
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**

ilka
Newly Registered

Post by ilka » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:11 am

Brilliant, thank you!!

euapplicant15
Newly Registered

Post by euapplicant15 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi everyone!

ilka, sorry to hear your application was refused, I hope you get it sorted through a reconsideration.

I am a Bulgarian national and was a student in the UK between 10/2008 to 09/2009. I don't have an EHIC card but obtained form E104 from the Bulgarian Health Insurance FUND (like the NHS) to state that I was covered for sickness.

I am having this translated and certified, I had called the nationality helpline before and the person there told me that a letter from the authorities will be accepted as a replacement of an EHIC. I am really worried now after seeing your post! This is the only document I could get confirming CSI :cry:

euapplicant15
Newly Registered

Post by euapplicant15 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm

ilka wrote:Brilliant, thank you!!
ilka, what was the form you submitted to the HO?

Thanks!