ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is a BRP relevant after citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

d_seng
Newly Registered

Is a BRP relevant after citizenship?

Post by d_seng » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi,

In a previous post I had mentioned that the passport office had misplaced my BRP when processing my first British passport application.

I had contacted UKBA and they had confirmed that I still need to replace my lost BRP.

Now the dilemma is that I have incidentally changed nationality (to British), so the replacement application form will mention two reasons for replacement, a) one for lost BRP & b) one for change of details (i.e. nationality)

Because of the second point, I now have to send my British passport too. I certainly do hope that they do not misplace the passport. I do not even know what is the timeline for a replacement BRP or when I will get my passport back. Does anyone know how long it takes?

I am still struggling to figure out the answer to this question: Why is a BRP relevant after naturalisation, and especially after obtaining a British passport? The BRP has a validity, does it mean we have to keep renewing it every time for the rest of our lives?

Thanks in advance.

d_seng
Newly Registered

Re: Is a BRP relevant after citizenship?

Post by d_seng » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 am

To anyone who might benefit from this...

Taking UKBA's word for it (that I need a replacement BRP), I applied for the BRP replacement and also got biometrics registered, paying the fees for both.

A few days ago, I was surfing the UKBA website when I came across the term "Biometric Residence Permit for Foreign Nationals". I immediately contacted the BRP Lost team asking why they asked me to apply for a replacement BRP, now that I have been naturalised.

I got the standard reply "Thank you for reporting the loss of your BRP, it has now been cancelled. You do not need to apply for a replacement BRP as you have now been naturalised as a British citizen".

Needless to say, I was absolutely shocked at the response, and I replied again, asking them to explain why I was given incorrect information previously, to which I got the same standard reply as above.

I have lodged a formal complaint to the Home Office, blasting them for the lack of staff training and careless conduct for their customers. I have asked for a full refund too.

Let's wait and see what happens.

It is a blatant example of the pathetic state of the immigration department. I am so glad I won't have to deal with them any more.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

you should have guessed that BRP is not needed as long as you have been naturalised. it's sole purpose is to keep track of foreign nationals( non EU of course) in UK.
you probably panicked when you lost it and wanted to get a new one.
just make sure to get back the fees you have paid for it.

d_seng
Newly Registered

Post by d_seng » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:you should have guessed that BRP is not needed as long as you have been naturalised. it's sole purpose is to keep track of foreign nationals( non EU of course) in UK.
you probably panicked when you lost it and wanted to get a new one.
You could say so, but I didn't have anything left to do when they confirmed that I still need the replacement BRP. It came with the £1000 penalty clause.

Yet, two days ago I received an email from the BRP lost team, apologising for the mistake. They say they are unable to process the refund from their department, and I'll have to lodge a formal complain with the home office, which I have already done.

I will not accept not receiving a refund, on principle.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 am

Once you are naturalised, your ILR simply ceases to exist. Though, you should always report a lost BRP.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Why did you send your BRP to the passport office?
The question is for my own benefit. I have recently applied for my first adult passport after naturalization and I did not send my BRP. Was I supposed to send it??

d_seng
Newly Registered

Post by d_seng » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm

I didn't want to, but the guy at the post office wouldn't accept my application without it.

I'd say you've done the right thing, if they ask for it you can always send it afterwards.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks for clarifying mate.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I returned to UK from abroad today and on Heathrow airport I asked a border official if my ILR will cease to be valid once I am naturalized and her answer was that it will always be valid. I asked her again if once naturalized I came to border control without British passport and without certificate of naturalization would she let me enter UK, she said she would without a problem. Just thought I'd share this.
I am sometimes wrong.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 pm

milan69 wrote:I returned to UK from abroad today and on Heathrow airport I asked a border official if my ILR will cease to be valid once I am naturalized and her answer was that it will always be valid. I asked her again if once naturalized I came to border control without British passport and without certificate of naturalization would she let me enter UK, she said she would without a problem. Just thought I'd share this.
Good info... Thanks.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:37 pm

shahid2000 wrote:Why did you send your BRP to the passport office?
The question is for my own benefit. I have recently applied for my first adult passport after naturalization and I did not send my BRP. Was I supposed to send it??
You don't have to send your BRP with your passport application at all.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I arrived today at Luton airport from a trip abroad and I have told a border officer that I recently became naturalized and that I carry a certificate with me in case there is a problem with my ILR. She said that my IRL will always be valid and if I don't have my British passport with me I can enter UK with my other passport as long as I have ILR with me. I asked will it be valid in 5 years time and she confirmed.
I am sometimes wrong.

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Post by The Avatar » Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 am

milan69 wrote:I returned to UK from abroad today and on Heathrow airport I asked a border official if my ILR will cease to be valid once I am naturalized and her answer was that it will always be valid. I asked her again if once naturalized I came to border control without British passport and without certificate of naturalization would she let me enter UK, she said she would without a problem. Just thought I'd share this.
Thanks for the info. Curious - did you fill in the landing card at Heathrow? If so, did you put British as nationality even if you flew in on a foreign passport?

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

I did fill the landing card and I didn't put British nationality as I was entering under different passport.
I am sometimes wrong.

imraniqbal2010
Member of Standing

Post by imraniqbal2010 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am

Amber wrote:Once you are naturalised, your ILR simply ceases to exist. Though, you should always report a lost BRP.
I think ILR BRP stays valid and you can use it still even after citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:50 pm

imraniqbal2010 wrote:
Amber wrote:Once you are naturalised, your ILR simply ceases to exist. Though, you should always report a lost BRP.
This post is more than a year old. Recent member experiences indicate that the ILR BRP is cancelled once you obtain British citizenship and passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ChOudhry1
- thin ice -

Post by ChOudhry1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
imraniqbal2010 wrote:
This post is more than a year old. Recent member experiences indicate that the ILR BRP is cancelled once you obtain British citizenship and passport.
I think home office staff knows nothing about these fast changing rules. The lady who handed me over my citizen ship certificate in the council gave me a letter of instructions and particularly mentioned one line which says that after you get your British citizen ship you are suppose to return the ILR brp on a given address on free post and failing to do do can cause a financial penalty. So guys you have to return it now and you have the right to tell them to destroy your biometric record since they are not allowed to keep the biometric record of British Citizens. :D
Choudhry