ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Where to apply the divorce?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sunoo

Where to apply the divorce?

Post by sunoo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:51 am

Hi,

I need some expert advise in this difficult time. I am a naturalized British citizen living and working in the UK. I married my wife in December 2014. However our marriage has broken down unfortunately and things comes to a point where reconciliation is not an option anymore as it is found that the marriage was just for a purpose to get an entry in the UK. Although my wife also fell pregnant couple of weeks ago.

I have the following questions:

As she is in Pakistan and never lived in the UK, where do I apply for divorce which should also be recognized in UK law? Here in UK or in Pakistan?

Secondly, as she is pregnant and baby is due in March,Will she be able to successfully apply for child's British citizenship without my support? OR if any means if she can get a stay in the UK if baby registered as British citizen?

Is there anyway If can get custody of the child?

I would really appreciate some advise.

Regards

batleykhan

Re: Where to apply the divorce?

Post by batleykhan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:43 pm

sunoo wrote:Hi,

I need some expert advise in this difficult time. I am a naturalized British citizen living and working in the UK. I married my wife in December 2014. However our marriage has broken down unfortunately and things comes to a point where reconciliation is not an option anymore as it is found that the marriage was just for a purpose to get an entry in the UK. Although my wife also fell pregnant couple of weeks ago.

As she is in Pakistan and never lived in the UK, where do I apply for divorce which should also be recognized in UK law? Here in UK or in Pakistan?

In Pakistan as she has never been to the UK. A divorce in that country would enable you to remarry second time and bring your second wife over to live with you in the UK

Secondly, as she is pregnant and baby is due in March,Will she be able to successfully apply for child's British citizenship without my support? OR if any means if she can get a stay in the UK if baby registered as British citizen?

No she cant if you divorce her legally

Yes but you will have to apply for it under Pakistani law. Once you have full custody ( if you get it) of child, you can bring him here to the UK

Regards

sunoo

Re: Where to apply the divorce?

Post by sunoo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 pm

batleykhan wrote:
sunoo wrote:Hi,

In Pakistan as she has never been to the UK. A divorce in that country would enable you to remarry second time and bring your second wife over to live with you in the UK

No she cant if you divorce her legally

Yes but you will have to apply for it under Pakistani law. Once you have full custody ( if you get it) of child, you can bring him here to the UK

Regards

Many thanks for the assistance. One more question to ask as she have her immediate family here in the UK, Can she apply for my UK assets to be devided? Marriage lasts only 7 months though!