ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BNO passport ->> British citizenship passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EEApartner

BNO passport ->> British citizenship passport

Post by EEApartner » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi there
I am wondering if anyone knows whether I can use the fast track or premium service when I apply the new British citizen passport replacing the BNO (British National Overseas) passport.
It is a little confusing as BNO is also considered a kind of British passports. So I do not know if this means I am applying a first new passport - which means I might not use the fast track service according to the website.

Please can anyone advise whether I can use fast track or preimuim?!

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: BNO passport ->> British citizenship passport

Post by fwd079 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:22 pm

You are applying for your first adult passport, and cannot use fast track for that, please click here and go through all four sections thoroughly.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 am

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
However, BNO is also considered as a type of British passports.
So I am just updating my nationality status from BNO to British citizen?
I phoned the advice hotline but they can't be sure but said I should still be able to just try the premium/fast track service.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 am

Sorry I was mistaken.

I doubt that you can have a British Passport, as your status is a British national (overseas) and not a British Citizen. You may be able to apply for British Citizenship and become British Citizen, so please click here to see your situation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am

OP is a naturalised BC.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/member ... ner/posts/

It will be a first adult passport and you will need to apply by post or through Post Office check and send,
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks CR001 for update. He's not a BNO then after all. :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

Seems OP applied on BOTA for registration. I am not familiar with these applications.

But my point stands, first adult passport, postal or check and send only.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:15 pm

CR001 wrote:Seems OP applied on BOTA for registration. I am not familiar with these applications.

But my point stands, first adult passport, postal or check and send only.
Of course :) thanks for that.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 pm

Based on my research on the gov site, BNO is also a type of British passports.
When I called the advice hotline, they said to me I'd still go try either premuim and fast track as I would be just updating my nationality status from BNO to British citizenship passport.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm

EEApartner wrote:Based on my research on the gov site, BNO is also a type of British passports.
When I called the advice hotline, they said to me I'd still go try either premuim and fast track as I would be just updating my nationality status from BNO to British citizenship passport.

Page 2 of the guidance states:
Renewal
This applies if your existing undamaged British passport, your name and British national status have not changed. If you are renewing a Child’s passport, put a cross in the Child box if they are under 16 or Adult box if they are 16 or over. (Please see ‘Changes’ below if your appearance has changed.)

First British passport

This applies if you have never had a British passport before, you were included as a child on someone else’s passport, or you are renewing an ‘old blue’ style passport. This includes those who were not British at birth but have gained naturalisation or registration as a British national and are applying for their first British passport.

Replacement

This applies if you want to replace a British passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged.

Extension

If your last passport was issued for one year or less, put a cross in the Extension box.

Changes

This applies to a change in your name, photo (including where you cannot be recognised from your current passport photo) or British national status.
Personally So if my status has changed from British National (Overseas) to Naturalised/Registred as a British Citizen, then I would not go for renewal, rather I'd go for first adult Passport. Rest is your choice, of course. Let us know later, please.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi
Thanks for this. It is 'Changes' then in my case.

As this guide clearly defines that 'First British passport' as below.

This applies if you have never had a British passport before, you were included as a child on someone else’s passport, or you are renewing an ‘old blue’ style passport. This includes those who were not British at birth but have gained naturalisation or registration as a British national and are applying for their first British passport.

And in my case BNO is classified as British passport. I registered myself as British citizen so hence need to 'change' my British status.
Surely, I will keep you guys posted after I attend the premium appointment. Hope it will be a smooth process.

If anyone has experience on this, kindly share too.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes, same para says if you had registered yourself as British National, which you did, then its first Adult Passport.

But now since you are going to go for Premium service, so I'd just wait and see, if they allow yours then its something to our knowledge then. Good luck.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Sure will keep you guys posted after that.

Some people can register as British citizen without a passport previously. So I think this is why the advisor said I should be ok with premium service as my BNO is still unexpired.

chilledflyer
Newly Registered

Post by chilledflyer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:49 pm

Just bumping this thread to see if EEApartner is able to provide some insight as to whether he/she was able to use the Premium Service as I'm faced with the same situation. To be fair, the guidance provided with the application form is ambiguous at best and the information from various official sources seem contradictory. It would be tremendously helpful if you could share your experience and confirm whether you were able to use the Premium Service.

Picking up on previous posts, just to clarify, changing BNO to BC would not be seen as applying for a first British Passport on the basis that BNO is a form a British Nationality and therefore the BNO passport in itself is a British Passport. In fact, when we come to renew our BNOs, we use exactly the same application form as BCs.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 am

chilledflyer wrote:Just bumping this thread to see if EEApartner is able to provide some insight as to whether he/she was able to use the Premium Service as I'm faced with the same situation. To be fair, the guidance provided with the application form is ambiguous at best and the information from various official sources seem contradictory. It would be tremendously helpful if you could share your experience and confirm whether you were able to use the Premium Service.

Picking up on previous posts, just to clarify, changing BNO to BC would not be seen as applying for a first British Passport on the basis that BNO is a form a British Nationality and therefore the BNO passport in itself is a British Passport. In fact, when we come to renew our BNOs, we use exactly the same application form as BCs.
Hi
Yes, I used the fast track service, I think it took less than a week than I got my PROPER British passport instead of the weird BNO :) So much easier to go through Border control now. Thanks a lot for everyone's help in this forum.

chilledflyer
Newly Registered

Post by chilledflyer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi EEApartner,

That's very useful to know. I've got a Premium Service appointment first thing tomorrow morning so will see if I encounter any problems. Thankfully I work right next to the passport office in Victoria so at least I don't have to shlep across town for the appointment if it transpires that the Premium Service is not available. One would think that swapping a "weird" BNO to a "proper" BC should be a relatively simple process as they already have the information on our old BNOs. :D

Will report back for sake of completeness.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:36 pm

chilledflyer wrote:Hi EEApartner,

That's very useful to know. I've got a Premium Service appointment first thing tomorrow morning so will see if I encounter any problems. Thankfully I work right next to the passport office in Victoria so at least I don't have to shlep across town for the appointment if it transpires that the Premium Service is not available. One would think that swapping a "weird" BNO to a "proper" BC should be a relatively simple process as they already have the information on our old BNOs. :D

Good luck! It shouldn't be any issues at all. You just have to make sure the form is nicely filled out (I almost got declined as I had too many cross and errors in my form ;P ) and have all the correct information including reference etc. You will most likely get a fast track service instead of same day but it won't take you more than a week to receive your new passport according to my experience. Nice surprise isn't it as most would have thought BNO is not a British passport!

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm

chilledflyer wrote:Hi EEApartner,

I forgot to say, I was not sure what to tick whether it is 'changes' or 'renewal'. Best to leave this blank and ask the guy once you are there to submit the document. He would advise you.

chilledflyer
Newly Registered

Post by chilledflyer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Just reporting back...

The Passport Office confirmed that the Premium Service can't be used for switching from BNO to BC and that they are only able to process the application under the Fast Track service. This is on the basis that they are treating such applications as a "change" rather than a "renewal" of one's passport. In fact, there is a box under section 1 of the application form where you can tick "change of British national status".

I've been told that any changes to the passport can only be done under the Fast Track service - so there you go. :D

EEApartner - thanks for all your help.

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

chilledflyer wrote:Just reporting back...

The Passport Office confirmed that the Premium Service can't be used for switching from BNO to BC and that they are only able to process the application under the Fast Track service. This is on the basis that they are treating such applications as a "change" rather than a "renewal" of one's passport. In fact, there is a box under section 1 of the application form where you can tick "change of British national status".

I've been told that any changes to the passport can only be done under the Fast Track service - so there you go. :D

EEApartner - thanks for all your help.
Congratulations, my fellow Hongkonger (and now a new British citizen ;) )

ecnk
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by ecnk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Sorry for restarting this old thread - but it seems you are the rare minority who have applied for a british citizenship passport following registration / naturalisation from BNO status!

Can I please check if you had to get any countersignatures on your application (i.e certify the photographs & sign Section 10)? I would assume no as I already hold a BNO which is a British passport but want to make sure as I am doing my passport & registration application in one go.

Also - if any of you also hold Hong Kong passports - did you send these in with your application?

Thanks!

EEApartner

Post by EEApartner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:28 am

ecnk wrote:Sorry for restarting this old thread - but it seems you are the rare minority who have applied for a british citizenship passport following registration / naturalisation from BNO status!

Can I please check if you had to get any countersignatures on your application (i.e certify the photographs & sign Section 10)? I would assume no as I already hold a BNO which is a British passport but want to make sure as I am doing my passport & registration application in one go.

Also - if any of you also hold Hong Kong passports - did you send these in with your application?

Thanks!
If i remember correctly, I need 2 people to sign for me and they must know me for at least 3 years and under the reference list.

I think I've submitted HK passport too as they have asked what other nationalities I hold in the form. Good Luck!