ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation certificate missing name at birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

happinessforever
Newly Registered

naturalisation certificate missing name at birth

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi All

I did supply all of my previous name info with my naturalisation application, however my certificate came back blank where it says "Name at Birth (if different)".

I am only using one name, which is the name on my uncancelled USA passport I will be sending, it is also the same name as on my naturalisation certificate, and is the same name I will want on my British passport. So it is not like a change of name or anything. My name has been the same for years.

So now I am not sure whether I need to send my certificate back to be amended before applying for my passport, just to show my name at birth.

Hope my question makes sense and wondering if anyone else ever had this situation.

I did email UK passport people but Im not sure she understood my question as her reply just told me to send evidence of change of name, but that is not the issue. My name doesnt need changing, its just my name at birth was different (just my last name) and there is a big blank where it says 'Name at Birth (if different) on my naturalisation certificate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Mine was also blank (it doesn't say my maiden name) but i have left it as i am not known by that name anymore (for a number of years) and my passport, drivers licence etc is all in my married name. I have my birth certificate and marriage certificate if I ever need to clarify for anyone.

Your British passport will only have your name as it appears on your certificate and USA passport.

Some people want the 'name at birth' others don't really bother about. I wasn't prepared to potentially wait a couple of months or however long it takes just for something to be added that I don't use anymore.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 pm

thanks alot. :]

so you just sent off your certificate with your application as it was and the passport was granted by the sounds of it.

so, i thnk im just going to go ahead and send off my application then, Im not personally bothered about correcting my name on the certificate, just wasnt sure whether the passport people would need me to. sounds like not.

now i have a niggling thought that what if they see i have enquired about it and then sent my application off anyway (the person who responded seemed bemused by my question). But I doubt they cross check things like that.

I think too much! ;)

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm

LOL, they won't check. If your name on your certificate and USA passport match, that is exactly what will be printed in your British Passport, which don't contain an area for 'previous' names anyway.

Is your last name different from birth due to marriage?? Evidence of change of name means a marriage certificate or deed poll.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:26 pm

well sort of :)

i had a maiden name, then i got married, then i got divorced, then i didnt want to keep his name or go back to my maiden name, so i changed my last name to something completely different - my great great grandmothers last name!

based on her reply, i think she thought i had changed my name *after* i got my certificate, so was asking me to enclose evidence of that. but that wasnt actually the situation.

i have all of the relevant name change, etc docs so I will bring everything with me to the Post Office tomorrow (although they are having a 1 day strike tomorrow of course LOL)

i was freaking out because i need to travel on 24 august, and wondering whether I would have my UK passport back in time, but then i realised i will get my USA passport back (which I can travel on) after a couple weeks (or so), long before my UK passport arrives, so very relieved to realise that.

happy days! ;)

thanks for taking the time to read/answer my question x

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 pm

p.s. just to clarify, my name has already been changed on my US passport and everything, so everything matches (US passport, naturalisation certificate) and all matches with the name my British passport will be in.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:53 pm

You have to send the USA passport, they dont accept copies! Also i contacted IPS 2 weeks ago to ask if i apply for my daughters passport will i get British and South african passports back in time to travel on 25th Aug and they said its likely that i wont and not worth the risk as july/august is busiest time! They advised to apply once we get back from holiday rather than end up not being able to travel at all! So we will travel with ILR and the naturalisation certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 pm

i was basing my decision looking on the thread about how long it is taking people to get their passports processed.

(im sure you know where to find it but just incase anyone else viewing the thread, for ease of reference > http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=80618

i will definitely be sending my original passport (i dont have a copy passport). but looking at the timescales on that thread, most are receiving back their documents within 2/3 weeks, it seems?

my date of travel is about 6 weeks away so im thinking it should be ok and maybe they are just told to advise people to err on the side of caution as a matter of protocol?

im gonna brave it, i think. hmmm.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Hope it all works for you as it is less that 6 weeks (average time for new apps) till 24th August. You should also take into account possible delays with Royal Mail, strikes, etc and the summer months are the busiest :

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pass ... pply-early

I would rather not risk my travel/holiday I have saved up for when I can travel on my South African passport and ILR BRP on 25th August.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 pm

i hope so too! lol

my theory is all based on the return of the supporting documents, not the receipt of the British passport. According to the processing times thread, people are getting their supporting documents back a few weeks before receiving British passport, about half-way through the process. Its the British passport which takes 6 weeks. If I had to travel on that new British passport, that would be cutting it too fine for sure!!

But - if I get my supporting documents back somewhere around week 4 of that process (whereas most people seem to be getting theirs back around week 2/3 after sending application), then I can travel on my US passport when I get it back, whilst still awaiting my British passport.

It only dawned on me today that I just have to wait for the time it takes for my supporting documents to be returned to me in order to be able to travel, not the full 6 weeks+ .

so, if i take it in tomorrow, thats the 17th, 1 month from now it will be 17 August, then I will still have another week, when according to real time feedback from people going through this, they are getting the supporting docs back way sooner than that.

i dunno. i will definitely be worrying about it constantly, but I think it is do-able. lets hope!

i am probably totally nuts!

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

had another reply from the passport people who've said i can either send all relevant name change documents along with a covering letter to explain the name changes OR
have my certificate amended (no thnx!) --- so just to confirm it does appear that its completely ok to have 'name at birth if different' section blank on your naturalisation certificate even if it was different at birth.

(i sent my application off today!)

4search
Newly Registered

Re: naturalisation certificate missing name at birth

Post by 4search » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:28 pm

happinessforever can you please let me know what was the outcome of the application as I had same situation as yours in my wife case. she had name change before get BC and her last two passport has new name. however her very first ( expried) passport is on her name at birth. BC certificate does not have any thing in name at birth. my question is do we need to send first ( expired ) pp with old name . she used that passport to enter in UK. however her current pp and BC certificate is on new name.also do we need to send deedpoll or mariage certificate.

I will be thankful for you reply.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:29 pm

happinessforever wrote:Hi All

I did supply all of my previous name info with my naturalisation application, however my certificate came back blank where it says "Name at Birth (if different)".

So now I am not sure whether I need to send my certificate back to be amended before applying for my passport, just to show my name at birth.

Hope my question makes sense and wondering if anyone else ever had this situation.

My name doesnt need changing, its just my name at birth was different (just my last name) and there is a big blank where it says 'Name at Birth (if different) on my naturalisation certificate.

If it helps you to know, my wife's name at birth (maiden name) is also missing from her naturalisation certificate; her British passport was delayed for other reasons but was granted in the end.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

happinessforever
Newly Registered

Post by happinessforever » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:07 pm

hi
apologies, i have just seen this and it was some time ago for me now, but i had no problems at all due to that section being left blank. i think it is quite common, but i did not know that and had a little panic over it.
best wishes.