ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question for EU nationals: will you apply for BC & why?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ajenta83

Question for EU nationals: will you apply for BC & why?

Post by Ajenta83 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if there is a similar topic. However I wondered the following...

All those who went through the EU route for their family members to obtain residence; will you consider to become a british citizen and apply for nationality?

I've seen recently a lot of Europeans becoming/applying for BC.

I'm keen to understand your opinion; why?

I myself, am Dutch and never really thought about this. However am working through my husbands AN application for and both my kids have British passports. Just wondering whether I should go for this or not?
Perhaps concerned what the future will bring...

Please share your opinion if you wish:)...

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Re: Question for EU nationals: will you apply for BC & why?

Post by bluecole2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 am

From a non-eea point of view, there is no reason now or in future why you think you should spend almost £1000 to get a passport/nationality that doesn't give you any benefits whatsoever.

Being Dutch, you have virtually the same rights (probably more) as BCs have. Not just in Europe but around the world. No matter what happens in the future in terms of border etc you're covered having obtained PR and your spouse and children being BC. I would rather suggest you obtain a PR card if you haven't already got one.

I can give you many rewarding things to spend that money on if your pocket is over flowing with cash :-)

Ajenta83

Post by Ajenta83 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 am

hahahah:) bluecole2 ; true...unfortunately pockets are not overflowing :lol:
I do have a PR. But whilst I'm helping my husband with his application; I couldn't stop noticing the amount of EU nationals applying for BC as well. Hence the reason I thought lets obtain some forum members opinion :)

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:50 pm

My personal opinion will be just be proud of your country.
Naturalisation is common for people from outside European states and just recently because of global crisis going on people start to panic, which I don't think they need to.

However like the other member said you don't need since you have aquire PR in UK. Let your spouse go for it and also apply for passport for your kids from country of origin to make things easier for them if they need to go there either now or in future

Good luck
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:55 pm

I mean country of origin of you and your spouse passports for the kids.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:45 pm

I will qualify my statements below by the statement that as I was a non-EEA citizen before I acquired British citizenship and yet (of perhaps because of the above) I'm passionately pro-EU (I do not mean that just for the Surinder Singh route).

I think the answer is multi-faceted and not a simple straight-forward reason.

I think what has brought this spike in the number of EEA citizens applying for UK citizenships is of course the fear of a Brexit. It is fairly certain that there will be a referendum on the UK membership of the EU by 2017. The UK could either leave or have the rules regarding freedom of movement modified, either of which would affect EEA citizens. I am not sure if most people are aware, but EEA citizens will not have the right to vote in that referendum (conversely, Commonwealth citizens resident in the UK will). The surge in EEA applications can be explained mainly by this fact.

Assuming that the threat of a Brexit is discounted, it is still possible that the rules regarding freedom of movement could be modified at an EU level. While not removing freedom of movement, perhaps more stringent rules regarding acquisition of PR or freedom of movement of family members could be introduced (neither of which require treaty change to my knowledge). These could adversely affect the EEA citizens already in the UK.

There may also be an element of a fear of Grexit. A disproportionate number of people on these forums who are applying appear to be of Greek nationality.

It is also worth remembering that PR itself can be lost after 2 years outside the UK.

It may also be a case of providing for the children, so that in the event of a Brexit, the children will have a choice as to which country to settle in later in life.

Finally, the fear of the Brexit is not just in the UK, but outside the UK as well. In conversation with some friends, all British citizens living or working in Europe, it transpired they all seem to have drawn up contingency plans of claiming citizenship in various EU countries, either through marriage or descent (a fair few) or residence.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 pm

I'll definitely apply once eligible, was always planning on doing so even before the current referendum debate started.
Reasons:
1.) I'm quite political and would like to vote in the General Elections
2.) Over the years, a few jobs that I wanted to go for required you to be a BC to be eligible (very rare these days but have come across such job offers)
3.) PR can be lost if absent for >2 years so having BC would ensure a more permanent status no matter where I move in 10 or 20 years time. It would equally ensure that my children hold BC even if not born in the UK.
4.) The 'why not' - factor...always good to have more than one nationality if you can (as long as one is not trying to bring a non-EEA spouse into Britain...)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.