ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rahul2295
Newly Registered

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by rahul2295 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 am

Right i must say the official at the CGI in birmingham are a right joke and embarrasment, Do they get bonuses for been awkward, unfriendly, Rude, arrogant, ignorant and totally unprofessional??

Here is my situation I applied for OCI for me and my 3 kids, I am a widow, I applied 5 months ago. We applied in person at the VFS office in Liverpool, who confirmed at the time of receipt of the application that we had all the correct paperwork, thats why they took the applications in!

Firstly they said I did not have the correct paperwork, but i sent them exactly the same paperwork that my 3 other brothers and sisters used to obtain their OCI's. So where is the problem - Well We all came here as child dependants on our mothers passport. Anyways they keep asking for a Surrender certificate which is available from the VFS office. So I emailed them, and their response was "I do not need one of them", as I have nothing in my own name to surrender Ie like a passport or citizenship document of any kind. The CGI Birmingham dont seem to understand their own rules and processes.

I have even obtained a letter from a solicitor (Notary public) confirming all my details to be correct. I have lived in this country since 1967 and still have my original indian birth certificate. AND THEY STILL HAVE NOT PROCESSED MY APPLICATION.

They will not process my childrens application because there was a slight difference in the name of my deceased husband on his documents, So I obtained a 3 seperate letters from the solicitor again. But they want my Husband to change his name by deed poll, but how can he as he no longer alive!

Please can anyone help or advise
I hope someone from the CGI Birmingham office is reading this, I know you have a job but common sense should prevail.

satellite

Post by satellite » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,

Have you tried ringing the CGI Birmingham office on their 0121 number? Also, how come you had to submit your husband's details if he's deceased?

rahul2295
Newly Registered

Post by rahul2295 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:06 pm

they want my husbands details because he was born in india, and his name appears on the birth certificates of my children.

I did ring birmingham, I had to wait for 40 minutes before someone answered, THey said I had to come to Birmingham for a interview, but they were not willing to give me a specific date and time for the interview and who it would be with- so I come down there just to be turned away, Also they could not say what the interview was for, as i have submitted everything that is required

The Birmingham CGI is well known for just saying "go away, you have not got the right documents, come back when you have" THey look for any excuse to say no and make life difficult.

rahul2295
Newly Registered

Post by rahul2295 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:08 pm

pompeyman wrote:If I were you, I would email VFS requesting the nature of the objection found in the application and if any more documents need to be supplied? If they wash their hands of you then I would email HCI directly and request the same. If neither works then tweet MEA and Sushma for a resolution

Who is MEA and Sushma?

satellite

Post by satellite » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:14 pm

What time did you ring the Birmingham office? They only answer calls between 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm, the number is busy most of the times though.

MEA is the MEAindia twitter which stands for Ministry of External Affairs for India, they should be able to help you. Sushama's twitter is SushmaSwaraj, she's one of the people who work in MEA. I think if you tweet both of them accounts with your problem then they should be able to help you. You seem to have enough evidence as you have a birth certificate and a Notary letter. Is that document from the Notary an Affidavit or a letter? And does it mention that you travelled on your mother's passport?

Also, how far do you live from Birmingham? If you live close then it's ok to go for an interview but if you live far, then it might be better to try other options like tweeting the MEA and Sushma first.

pompeyman
Newly Registered

Post by pompeyman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:52 am

rahul2295 wrote:
pompeyman wrote:If I were you, I would email VFS requesting the nature of the objection found in the application and if any more documents need to be supplied? If they wash their hands of you then I would email HCI directly and request the same. If neither works then tweet MEA and Sushma for a resolution

Who is MEA and Sushma?
MEA is Ministry of External affairs in India who are active in addressing people’s issues lately. Sushma Swaraj is the cabinet minister for Ministry of External affairs in India in the Central Government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi
I suggest you email them with every little detail since you application to VFS and the responses you have had by date. I would copy this to PMO (Prime Minister’s Office) as well.
Try one more time with CGI Birmingham over phone for an interview and tell them if you don’t get a date for interview soon you will email MEA and Sushma. Also tell them you will go to Indian Media with your story (if you are willing to) as Indian media are searching for anything against the government to malign them

satellite

Post by satellite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 am

I think Pompeyman's suggested some good ideas Rahul2295. You seem to have everything you'd need so I don't understand why they're causing problems for you. Do as Pompeyman advised and let us know how it goes.

alladin

Post by alladin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Just an update on my timeline:

Date applied at VFS Goswell Road : 17 Aug 2015
Date Of Acknowledgment 19-AUG-2015
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 09-SEP-2015
Dispatched From NEW DELHI On 10-SEP-2015
Document received At LONDON On - 14-Sep-2015

rahul2295
Newly Registered

Post by rahul2295 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:03 pm

pompeyman wrote:
rahul2295 wrote:

Who is MEA and Sushma?
MEA is Ministry of External affairs in India who are active in addressing people’s issues lately. Sushma Swaraj is the Spam minister for Ministry of External affairs in India in the Central Government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi
I suggest you email them with every little detail since you application to VFS and the responses you have had by date. I would copy this to PMO (Prime Minister’s Office) as well.
Try one more time with CGI Birmingham over phone for an interview and tell them if you don’t get a date for interview soon you will email MEA and Sushma. Also tell them you will go to Indian Media with your story (if you are willing to) as Indian media are searching for anything against the government to malign them
Thank you guys, I will tweet MEA and Sushma, I am just a little reluctant to disclose personal details, becaused they could just refuse my application without reason. I have spoken to lots of people and they all say Birmingham. CGI is terrible, You would of thought things would of improved with the Visas processing section moved to VFS.

The letter from the Notary public is affidavit.

I simply have no more documents I can produce. I sent them a copy of the email I received from VFS confirming "I do no need to surrender my nationality" I send this to them by first class post recorded(signed for) mail on the 4th September. I had also emailed them the same on the same day.

I live over 100 miles from Birmingham and I am not willing to travel there unless they given me a written confirmation that they need to interview me. They just can not be trusted.

Pompeyman- VFS can not understand why the CGI are not processing my application, Because when I went there to hand them further documents, they confirmed all the documents received originally were sufficient,

Seriously have you ever been to Birmingham CGI, It is totally a shambles. It seems they thrive on turning people away and making life awkward for everyone. I knew London HCI was like this but after a mini riot there a few years ago they changed.

https://www.change.org/p/indian-high-co ... ke-garbage

satellite

Post by satellite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:54 pm

The Birmingham CGI must have not cared about the email from VFS confirming that you don't need the Surrender Certificate as it's the VFS who kind of work for CGI, not the other way round. The CGI have the final say over VFS.
You've got all the required documents so I just don't understand why they're not processing your application, Tweet the MEA and Sushma as that's your last hope now. Even the VFS's website states that you only need an notorised Affidavit + Birth certificate if you don't have an indian passport/surrender certificate. So I don't understand why they're going against their own words.

pompeyman
Newly Registered

Post by pompeyman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 am

pompeyman wrote:Application Method to HCI: VFS/London Paddington
Application made in person on: 24/08/2015
Registration Status at Mission: London
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :25/08/2015
Originals Received by Royal Mail SP: 27/08/2015
Update:
Documents printing status: Processed on 15/09/2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI: Awaiting
Document received At LONDON : Awaiting

pompeyman
Newly Registered

Post by pompeyman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 am

Who is MEA and Sushma?[/quote]
MEA is Ministry of External affairs in India who are active in addressing people’s issues lately. Sushma Swaraj is the Spam minister for Ministry of External affairs in India in the Central Government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Try one more time with CGI Birmingham over phone for an interview and tell them if you don’t get a date for interview soon you will email MEA and Sushma. Also tell them you will go to Indian Media with your story (if you are willing to) as Indian media are searching for anything against the government to malign them[/quote]

Thank you guys, I will tweet MEA and Sushma, I am just a little reluctant to disclose personal details, becaused they could just refuse my application without reason. I have spoken to lots of people and they all say Birmingham. CGI is terrible, You would of thought things would of improved with the Visas processing section moved to VFS.

The letter from the Notary public is affidavit.

I simply have no more documents I can produce. I sent them a copy of the email I received from VFS confirming "I do no need to surrender my nationality" I send this to them by first class post recorded(signed for) mail on the 4th September. I had also emailed them the same on the same day.

I live over 100 miles from Birmingham and I am not willing to travel there unless they given me a written confirmation that they need to interview me. They just can not be trusted.

Pompeyman- VFS can not understand why the CGI are not processing my application, Because when I went there to hand them further documents, they confirmed all the documents received originally were sufficient,

Seriously have you ever been to Birmingham CGI, It is totally a shambles. It seems they thrive on turning people away and making life awkward for everyone. I knew London HCI was like this but after a mini riot there a few years ago they changed.

https://www.change.org/p/indian-high-co ... ke-garbage[/quote]

VFS is tasked with collecting applications and provide updates for HCI as that saves people queuing up their door step. It is to make their lives easy they have outsourced it to VFS for which we pay. Still cant understand why we cant send documents by post. SO VFS are not going to talk to HCI on your behalf. They can only request documents required as advised and on your request they cans ask them what objections if any in your application nothing more or nothing less.
unless you take this up with MEA, I believe you are not going anywhere. Sorry but that's a harsh reality. Do email MEA with your query anonymously and then they might request details if required. Good luck.

nav84
Newly Registered

Post by nav84 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:12 am

Applicant Name: XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
File Acknowledgment Number: GBR*********
Date Of Acknowledgment: 14-AUG-2015
Registration Status at Mission: BIRMINGHAM
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

More than a month and I still havent recieved the originals back yet.

Update: Just spoke to Birmingham CGI.. They said they are processing applications recieved on 14th August.. looks like they are snowed under quite a bit...

rahul2295
Newly Registered

Post by rahul2295 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:30 am

satellite wrote:The Birmingham CGI must have not cared about the email from VFS confirming that you don't need the Surrender Certificate as it's the VFS who kind of work for CGI, not the other way round. The CGI have the final say over VFS.
You've got all the required documents so I just don't understand why they're not processing your application, Tweet the MEA and Sushma as that's your last hope now. Even the VFS's website states that you only need an notorised Affidavit + Birth certificate if you don't have an indian passport/surrender certificate. So I don't understand why they're going against their own words.

Ok I still have not heard from CGI, I have sent email to many ion MEA, lets see what the response is, I dont hold much hope and now expect to loose 4 x £175.00.
Shocking, I am not on twitter but will set up account in a few days to tweet Sushma, Do I reaally need to do all this????
I thought India was progressing!

satellite

Post by satellite » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:54 am

Don't worry if you get rejected for an OCI then you get your money back except a small admin fee, I'm assuming it shouldn't be more than £25, and you'll lose money in the Special Delivery envelopes you've purchased.
But yes set up a twitter account, it's a long hassle but it will be worth it when your OCI gets accepted

NECHA_UK
Newly Registered

Post by NECHA_UK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:51 pm

nav84 wrote:Applicant Name: XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Update: Just spoke to Birmingham CGI.. They said they are processing applications recieved on 14th August.. looks like they are snowed under quite a bit...
Hi, Did you get your originals back?

nav84
Newly Registered

Post by nav84 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:53 am

quote="NECHA_UK"]
nav84 wrote:Applicant Name: XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Hi, Did you get your originals back?[/quote]

Got my originals back yesterday afternoon... but we are plannign to fly in two weeks time, I applied for a tourist visa yesterday... so hopfully i will get that next week...

though i got my originals back.. nothing has changed on my status page.. ??
oci status5.jpg
oci status5.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

satellite

Post by satellite » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes it's not supposed to change after you receive your documents, it only changes after your OCI gets accepted and processed.

tier1ilrnatoci
Newly Registered

Post by tier1ilrnatoci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi Nav84,
I am in the same boat as you. Application went to Birmingham.
Almost a month now and I still haven't received the originals back.

File Acknowledgement Number: GBR*********
Date Of Acknowledgement: 25-AUG-2015

satellite

Post by satellite » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi tier1ilrnatoci,

They take nearly 5 weeks to return your original documents. It's supposed to be 2 weeks but they've been very busy these past few months.

pompeyman
Newly Registered

Post by pompeyman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:50 am

Sorry, I hope am not rubbing it in to ppl who applied in Birmingham but just updating my application status. Hope all your applications will be dealt with soon. Good luck guys and gals

Application made in person on: 24/08/2015 : VFS paddington
Registration Status at Mission: London
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :25/08/2015
Originals Received by Royal Mail SP: 27/08/2015
Documents printing status: Processed on 15/09/2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI: 16/09/2015
Document received At LONDON : 18/09/2015

Planning to submit passport on 23rd and hope to get it back by end of week. Cherios

nav84
Newly Registered

Post by nav84 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:19 pm

tier1ilrnatoci wrote:Hi Nav84,
I am in the same boat as you. Application went to Birmingham.
Almost a month now and I still haven't received the originals back.

File Acknowledgement Number: GBR*********
Date Of Acknowledgement: 25-AUG-2015
You will be looking another week before you get your originals back.. give them a call and find out what dated applications are they processing...

tier1ilrnatoci
Newly Registered

Post by tier1ilrnatoci » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Lets hope so. Tried calling them today for an hour, but it always show LINE BUSY or sometimes, the bell rings, but nobody pick it up. Frustrating.

nav84
Newly Registered

Post by nav84 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50 pm

tier1ilrnatoci wrote:Lets hope so. Tried calling them today for an hour, but it always show LINE BUSY or sometimes, the bell rings, but nobody pick it up. Frustrating.
need to call them between 10-12 and 2-4.. i think... there is a post from before which had the correct time... (just a couple of pages before, page 179 of this conversation)

tier1ilrnatoci
Newly Registered

Post by tier1ilrnatoci » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Yes saw that update.
I did called them between 11am to 12pm. Will try again this afternoon.