ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation now after Surinder Singh route in 2009

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

evangelista
Newly Registered

Naturalisation now after Surinder Singh route in 2009

Post by evangelista » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Hello everyone, it has been a while since my last visit here... 5 years! I have to thank again all those who assisted me back then (Vinny & Obie) and I have to say that immigrationboards has certainly helped me with my hurdles.

So to summarise, I returned to the UK via the Surinder Singh route, after working in Italy and entered the UK with my wife (Non-eea) on 10/10/2009. Since then she received her EEA2 residence and if I understand correctly, automatically acquired PR status after her 5 years. We have not applied for PR and will be applying directly instead for naturalisation. Today she passed her Life in the UK test and will be taking her B1 test this Saturday. Could anybody please assist me with some of my questions relating to completing the AN naturalisation form:

On page 10 of the AN form it asks for employment details. My wife has been unemployed throughout most of her time here and had only worked for a period of 8 months in 2011, she is a fulltime mother now though to our 3 children :D . Will this affect her application in any way?

On page 13 (section 2.4) EEA Nationals exercising treaty rights: She is the Non-eea family member of an EEA national (I am a British citizen) so do I have to fill this section in as it does state "If you are not an EEA national (see pages 10 to 11 of the ‘Booklet AN’), go to section 3." I am slightly confused as when I called the UKVI for clarification they said that she should have medical insurance to be classified as self sufficient and I tried to explain that I was the one who exercised treaty rights 6 years ago in Italy. He said that she would have to get the insurance and wait another 5 years before applying for naturalisation?? He explained further that because I had used the Surinder Singh route, she should now be the one exercising treaty rights as I cannot in my own country. I believe he is not well informed but please correct me if I am wrong (EIND).

Section 6.13 asks if she has had her biometric fingerprints taken in the past and asks for the date, I cannot recall this as it was over 6 years ago - Will this affect her application if I cannot put a date?

Does anyone have any literature I could write along with my application to ensure there is no confusion in process?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope you can assist.

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation now after Surinder Singh route in 2009

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:48 pm

evangelista wrote:...

On page 10 of the AN form it asks for employment details. My wife has been unemployed throughout most of her time here and had only worked for a period of 8 months in 2011, she is a fulltime mother now though to our 3 children :D . Will this affect her application in any way?

On page 13 (section 2.4) EEA Nationals exercising treaty rights: She is the Non-eea family member of an EEA national (I am a British citizen) so do I have to fill this section in as it does state "If you are not an EEA national (see pages 10 to 11 of the ‘Booklet AN’), go to section 3." I am slightly confused as when I called the UKVI for clarification they said that she should have medical insurance to be classified as self sufficient and I tried to explain that I was the one who exercised treaty rights 6 years ago in Italy. He said that she would have to get the insurance and wait another 5 years before applying for naturalisation?? He explained further that because I had used the Surinder Singh route, she should now be the one exercising treaty rights as I cannot in my own country. I believe he is not well informed but please correct me if I am wrong (EIND).

Section 6.13 asks if she has had her biometric fingerprints taken in the past and asks for the date, I cannot recall this as it was over 6 years ago - Will this affect her application if I cannot put a date?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope you can assist.
This is an internet discussion forum so questions are its lifeblood.

:!: Be aware of proof of English changes kicking in on 5 November, 2015.
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Re: Employment. Employment is not a prerequisite for naturalisation.
Full time moms are cool. My wife applied as a homemaker too.
For history put "unemployed" / "not employed" / "not economically active" / "homemaker" as you wish.

Re: SS. Yes, the operative sounds untrained &/or misinformed.
Yes, Eind is your friend; you have no need to exercise treaty rights now back in UK.
My understanding is spouse just needs residency to have acquired PR.

Be aware form AN is general purpose & is used by lots of people in lots of different circumstances; consequently the sections & boxes may not all fit your case.

Suggest write a comprehensive & clear cover letter (or explanatory paragraphs in the 'additional info' section of form).
Explain your SS history; acquisition of PR; quote case law of Eind (Case C-291/05), etc.

Biometrics: can you estimate the approx month/year?
Put down what you can.
Add a cross-referenced comment in the 'additional info' section if necessary (to explain loss of memory).
HO should have the information on file anyway if biometrics have been done before; not a biggie.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

evangelista
Newly Registered

Post by evangelista » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Thank you noahjthan for your valued input, I will follow your advice and let you know.

walkyriee
Newly Registered

Post by walkyriee » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Hello everyone. I am in a similar situation to evangelista. That's why I am writing in this post (not sure if it's better to open a new post?). To keep you on context this is more or less my situation:

- I am a non -EEA nationality
- lived in France for 2 years (2008-2010) with British boyfriend who was working in France
- 2010 our baby was born so decided to come and live in UK.
- Entry clearance was granted (visa EEA FP: family member). we entered the UK august 2010 (I assume I enter under the Suring Singh??? I just discover this)
- April 2011 residence card of Family member was granted for 5 years (valid until april 2016)
- 2012 got married to my British citizen boyfriend
- 2012 trained as a teacher and I have been working since 2012

until today, I thought the next step was to apply for naturalisation (after doing the English exam and the uk life test), but after reading all the different post and the AN booklet I have realised this is not as simple as completing the 5-year time restriction. so here are my questions:

1- do I need to wait 5 or 6 years to apply for naturalisation?
2- can I just apply with my residence card of a family member on an EEA national?
3- or do I need to apply to Permit Residence first?
4- I have seen some people talking about EEA2, EEA3, and EEA4 and I still can't understand what these are :( would it be more advisable (taking into account the expire date of my residence card to get one of these before the naturalisation?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide me and for your time. I am not sure of what exactly I need to do. I hope i can help someone inthe future, too :D

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Post by Graham Weifang » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi walkyriee,

You are a little ahead of us.
Same situation.
My wife's 5 years is completed in October 2018 (this year, 3 months away)
We are also looking for confirmed steps.

GW.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Graham Weifang wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm
Hi walkyriee,

You are a little ahead of us.
Same situation.
My wife's 5 years is completed in October 2018 (this year, 3 months away)
We are also looking for confirmed steps.

GW.
Kindly Co it ue in your own topic or start your own rather than tagging onto one that is almost 3 old. The user has kit logged into the forum since they posted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.