ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode actual wait times (2015)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

drawson989
Newly Registered

Right of Abode actual wait times (2015)

Post by drawson989 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi,

I have applied to the Liverpool office for the Right of Abode on the 16th August 2015 and am still awaiting my New Zealand passport to be returned as of 29th September. I've applied 3 times previously (2000, 2005, 2010) and always had the Passport returned with stamp within 3 weeks.

Can anyone advise on the actual time it has taken between application and receipt of documents in 2015? I have had an offer accepted on a house and need to know how much longer I can expect to wait for the documents, so that I can set the sellers minds at rest...the mortgage company wont make the offer without proof of right to live and work in the UK...

Thanks

David

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Re: Right of Abode actual wait times (2015)

Post by chocolateorange88 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Up to 6 months like any application to the Home Office!

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi David

My son sent in his application 2 days later than you and he is still waiting too :(
Could you please up date should you receive your's any time soon - thank!

Would any one be interested to post their timelines for their ROA applications as it is very drepressing to see my son unable to work in London until he gets his passport back with this ROA certificate and would need to go through this same process every 5 years since Malaysians passports are valid for 5 years only.

18/08/15 - application sent
21/09/15 - ack. Application received

AMESBURYARCHER
Newly Registered

Post by AMESBURYARCHER » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:20 pm

hi, mine seems very delayed too, they received it Aug 20. I have had a ROA cert for 30 years with serial numbers for all, you would think it would be easy--like it used to be (sigh.) I had to get mine every 5 years too as my passport is CANADIAN. Now, however, they finally are doing ten year Canadian passports. I would apply as a child of a British mother, as the rules were changed in that regard...but alas, they want my mother's passport...and she passed away years ago and no one knows what became of her passport. I may go for an Irish passport since my grandmother was Irish and you can claim through a grandparent there.

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:01 pm

That's so unfortunate since Canada allow dual nationality unlike Malaysia.

I read in a British Expats forum that in Nigeria ROA applications takes 3 weeks only. I can't understand how countries outside of the UK is so much quicker!

Right now my son is stuck because his company will not allow him to start work without his ROA on a current passport and having to pay rent in London since he recently relocated from KL. Now it's not just the financial strain, but mentally too, not knowing how long he need to just sit around waiting and hoping his company will not withdraw his job offer.

It's is extremely frustrating and stressful since this has totally been unexpected as like you say it is supposedly and previously been a speedy process. This would be his third time renewing, but now the rules are changed where each application is consider a new one!

Hope to hear good news from you soon, please up date.

AMESBURYARCHER
Newly Registered

Post by AMESBURYARCHER » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:34 am

Nothing so far. I feel so sorry for your son; it must be stressful. At least I have a job and don't have to worry about housing like one of the other people who posted on these boards. All of us seem to have sent off our application within the same week. It is a pity that the Home Office could not inform of potential delays; sending out a form letter saying 'up to 6 months' is not really good enough IMO, especially as the data is right on their website that 2-3 years ago average processing time seldom went beyond 36 days for unexceptional cases. As I said I've lived here over 23 years and had a ROA sticker for over 30, so there is nothing 'new' or different about my application. It is galling because on their own website it says 'ROA is a statutory right, you either have it or you don't' . As I have already proved many times that I 'have it' why has this suddenly become so complicated?

xy
Newly Registered

Post by xy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:39 am

It does seem strange, but getting the ROA certificate from overseas is definitely quicker. We applied for the ROA for our son from Sri Lanka via the VFS office in Colombo which sends all applications to the Chinnai (India) deputy high commission for processing. Exactly 10 days after submitting the application, we got the passport back with the ROA stamp on our sons passport.

Of course they forgot to return my wife's original naturalisation certificate, so stressing now about when that will be returned, but the stamp on the passport was super quick.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of applying from Sri Lanka or from India.

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 pm

The ROA processing time for Malaysia takes 3 months, hence we thought it would be quicker to send his application off in London. We may have made a serious mistake now it might take up to 6 months.

Thank you all for posting here, it has ease some anxieties knowing that there are unfortunate souls in the same boat.

Please up date once you have received your ROA

drawson989
Newly Registered

Post by drawson989 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

My passport with stamp arrived today - and since the seller was very patient and understanding about the long wait, I will be going ahead with the house purchase :)

So my dates are:
Applied: 17/08/2015
Ack Letter: 24/08/2015
Passport received: 22/10/2015

So, a two month turnaround. I hope that everyone waiting start to receive their passports soon.

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for updating and sharing the good news with us! Fingers crossed my son will get his soon as he literally sent his application just a couple days from yours.

Good luck with your new house and sending you good karma since it was your posting that has provided us moral support!

Also to others still waiting, lets have more good news to follow David's.

AMESBURYARCHER
Newly Registered

Post by AMESBURYARCHER » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Glad to hear that someone has had theirs come back. No sign of mine yet. Hopefully the others will be in be here in the next week. Geez, the anxiety though...I am even paranoid about it getting lost in the return post (I did put in a return special delivery envelope.)

AMESBURYARCHER
Newly Registered

Post by AMESBURYARCHER » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 am

AMESBURYARCHER wrote:Glad to hear that someone has had theirs come back. No sign of mine yet. Hopefully the others will be in be here in the next week. Geez, the anxiety though...I am even paranoid about it getting lost in the return post (I did put in a return special delivery envelope.)
FINALLY! Tuesday 27, over 9 weeks after sending it off, it's arrived! Hope you've had good news too, Hellola

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:50 am

That's fantastic news, so glad for you Amesburyarcher.
His postwoman just came on her rounds, but nothing for him :(

Now we can only hope it will be some time this week, otherwise it will truly be painful knowing that those sent in their applications almost the same time have already received theirs and his is still pending.

Thank you joining in with this discussion and will update very soon...fingers crossed :|

Hellola
Newly Registered

Post by Hellola » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:58 pm

OMG! OMG! It's finally here!

That's how my son reported his excitement in receiving his ROA today.

We were in a state of panic still thinking it may not come today and being a Friday would have to another week. But thank goodness the wait is finally over.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

Ack. Letter 21/8/15
Rec'd ROA 30/10/15

AMESBURYARCHER
Newly Registered

Post by AMESBURYARCHER » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Yay. Glad to hear it.So for anyone else out there, it seems the usual 3-5 weeks quoted for the last few years has now been extended to 8-9 weeks.

dimples123
Newly Registered

Post by dimples123 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:49 am

Hello there

I was just wondering if there is any one else out there who sent their Passport and application of for RoA recently.

I sent mine on the 25th November 2015 and it was received by HO on the 26th November 2015.
The acknowledgement letter on the 2nd December 2015 and yet I still haven't heard anything and it's February :| so i was wondering if any one else is in a similar situation.

Thank you

Waterson
Newly Registered

Post by Waterson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi All,

Is there anyone who applied for ROA in November/ December that has received his or her passport back from the HO.? Mine is really delayed for the first time, I applied 21/11/2015 , received acknwolegment 27 /11/2015. Still waiting for my Ptt.

Please, I need help as to what to do. Ethier to contact them or wait patiently for how long.?

Thanks