ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Requested passport back - Was told to get a family permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thisisconfusing
Newly Registered

Requested passport back - Was told to get a family permit?

Post by thisisconfusing » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:11 am

Having called the "Enquiries from European Citizens" helpline several times with no results, I'm turning to the good people of the internet.

I recently received a letter from the Home Office in the same envelope as my returned passport. It says:

"Your passport is being returned to enable you to travel. Family members of an EEA national, who are not themselves EEA nationals, wishing to return to the UK should apply for an EEA family permit at a British diplomatic post abroad before returning to this country. An EEA family permit is issued free of charge and on a priority basis."

Well, the supporting documents that you need for an EEA family permit are more or less the same as the ones they have for my EEA(FM) application, thus they are currently with the Home Office. Also, my travel (for work) is planned for only two full days. My understanding is it would be virtually impossible to obtain a family permit in this time, particularly because I cannot (or am not supposed to?) make the application until I exit the UK. "Enquiries from European Citizens" had no answers.

My understanding is that with a case in progress it was fine to travel. This letter has obviously left me scratching my head. Has anyone else received a similar letter? Were you able to travel without incident? My husband will be at the airport to receive me after my travel, should there be any questions from the Boarder Force.

I am an American married to a European. We are currently residing in London.

Thank you for any input!

Sent EEA(FM): July 27th
Biometrics appointment: August 6th (letter dated August 3rd)
Requested passport back: September 29th
Received passport: October 7th (letter dated October 2nd)
COA: We never got one. (Which is problematic in and of itself.) I requested another in writing and have received nothing.

liquidweb

Re: Requested passport back - Was told to get a family permi

Post by liquidweb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:49 pm

All I can suggest is not go if you don't have COA. Practically you need same documents as FM and if you have COA, family permit is fast tracked.

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:34 pm

I don't believe you actually require a family permit or any other document, other than your passport to re-enter the UK as an american.

sachiko
Newly Registered

Post by sachiko » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi,

I am in the same situation,
can you tell me what you did or you had to do finally to come back to UK?

Thanks!

candycyt
Newly Registered

Post by candycyt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 pm

I'm also interested in finding out how it went.
My situation is slightly different - I have requested the return of my passport almost 3 weeks ago (it's supposed to take less than 10 working days) but as I'll be travelling in a few days, I might have to travel with my other passport (I have a Hong Kong SAR passport on top of the passport I gave the UKBA). Now I'm a bit worried about reentering the country with my HK passport and a CoA attached to the passport given to UKBA...

Canuckchuck
Newly Registered

Post by Canuckchuck » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm

I'm in a similar situation.
I requested my passport back during my EEA(FM) application, decided to cancel that and just get a temporary passport from the Canadian High Commission to travel.
I have my COA but they sent me back my passport 4 months after I requested and subsequently cancelled the request.
Now I'm about to travel again soon but I'm weary about that same letter that you got telling me to request for a family permit to travel.
I came in through customs last time with my COA but there was a lot of fuss about it...