ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Permit for a family member of a dual Polish/British

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

syzmonf
Newly Registered

Family Permit for a family member of a dual Polish/British

Post by syzmonf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi,

I came to UK in 2007 and acquired permanent residence (PR) in 2012 and British citizenship in 2013. I have not left UK for longer than 2 a years and therefore my PR should still be in force. Can I bring my to be wife (non-EU citizen) to UK on family permit. Looking at the information online I have an idea that the transitional arrangement apply to me. Please look at point 16.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ily-permit

Thanks for any replies.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Family Permit for a family member of a dual Polish/Briti

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 pm

As you have British Citizenship, the regulations says you cannot be a Polish citizen also, and therefore EU law does not apply to you.

I believe the British Government is wrong, and you will have to fight them in court about this, but that is what they said.

EU law says PR status is only lost by an absence of 2 years from the Host memberstate.

The UK government has added another criteria, which is that PR is lost by acquisition of the Host memberstate nationality.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Xenia
Newly Registered

Post by Xenia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm

syzmonf wrote:Hi,

I came to UK in 2007 and acquired permanent residence (PR) in 2012 and British citizenship in 2013. I have not left UK for longer than 2 a years and therefore my PR should still be in force. Can I bring my to be wife (non-EU citizen) to UK on family permit. Looking at the information online I have an idea that the transitional arrangement apply to me. Please look at point 16.

Thanks for any replies.
Hello szymonf!
A friend of mine had no problems to get an EEA Family Permit and now she is waiting for a residence card.
She is non EU and her husband has dual nationality.

syzmonf
Newly Registered

Post by syzmonf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Xenia wrote:
syzmonf wrote:Hi,

Thanks for any replies.
Hello szymonf!
A friend of mine had no problems to get an EEA Family Permit and now she is waiting for a residence card.
She is non EU and her husband has dual nationality.

Thx Xenia

Did she finally get the Family Permit?

szymon

syzmonf
Newly Registered

Post by syzmonf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Obie wrote:As you have British Citizenship, the regulations says you cannot be a Polish citizen also, and therefore EU law does not apply to you.

I believe the British Government is wrong, and you will have to fight them in court about this, but that is what they said.

EU law says PR status is only lost by an absence of 2 years from the Host memberstate.

The UK government has added another criteria, which is that PR is lost by acquisition of the Host memberstate nationality.

Hi Obie,

Can you please point me to the legislation that introduces this new criterion?

Szymon

Xenia
Newly Registered

Post by Xenia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Of course she did, she is in the UK now and waiting for a residence card, which is your next thing to apply after family permit but you apply from the UK don't have to leave country, it will be valid for 5 years

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:09 am

Regulation 2 defines an EEA national , as national of an EEA state, who is not also a British citizen.

The consequence of this is that if you hold a British citizenship, you are not an EEA national.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

syzmonf
Newly Registered

Post by syzmonf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 am

Xenia wrote:Of course she did, she is in the UK now and waiting for a residence card, which is your next thing to apply after family permit but you apply from the UK don't have to leave country, it will be valid for 5 years

Can you tell me how she got it? Was there a problem? Did she have to appeal?

aukro
Newly Registered

Post by aukro » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23 pm

syzmonf wrote:
Xenia wrote:Of course she did, she is in the UK now and waiting for a residence card, which is your next thing to apply after family permit but you apply from the UK don't have to leave country, it will be valid for 5 years

Well, there wasn't any problem at all, it took two weeks to get a family permit after applying from her original country.
The only thing is different to your situation, they were already married and applied as married couple.

syzmonf
Newly Registered

Post by syzmonf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:39 pm

aukro wrote:
syzmonf wrote:

Well, there wasn't any problem at all, it took two weeks to get a family permit after applying from her original country.
The only thing is different to your situation, they were already married and applied as married couple.
Hi aukro,

Are you the person who applied, I guess no. Are you referring to the same case? Did the dual national obtain British passport after exercising treaty rights? Did he/she have a Permanent Residence?

Szymon

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ukasha
Newly Registered

Post by ukasha » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi

Did she finally get the residence card on dual nationality?

My husband got family permit too as family member of eea national me and i also have British nationality acquired 3 years ago ...

We now are applying for his Residence Card so want to know what the outcome was for your friend

Much appreciated :)