ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Previous Tax checks for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Habibullah
Newly Registered

Previous Tax checks for ILR

Post by Habibullah » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello
I am currently on Tier 1 General Visa and my ILR is due next year.
The income I showed for my Tier 1 application and extention, I haven’t paid tax on that amount to HMRevenue.

If I go for 10 years long residency route for ILR, are they checking the tax history for everyone on T1 General or they are checking randomly? Please share your experience.
Thanks in advance

askhan

Re: Previous Tax checks for ILR

Post by askhan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Hello

Its mandatory to pay the tax. Regardless of what application you are applying for ?
HO is now checking TAX very carefully.
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 pm

All Government departments share information, including HMRC and the Home Office.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm

It is advisable that you keep your tax affairs up to date with HMRC. If you haven't paid the tax yet I'll suggest you pay it asap and then follow up with HMRC if that is reflecting in their records.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Habibullah wrote:Hello
The income I showed for my Tier 1 application and extention, I haven’t paid tax on that amount to HMRevenue.

If I go for 10 years long residency route for ILR, are they checking the tax history for everyone on T1 General or they are checking randomly? Please share your experience.
Thanks in advance
My experience is I always pay the tax due without fiddling it and I sleep at nights.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kchess
Newly Registered

Post by kchess » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Habibullah wrote:Hello

Thanks in advance

Please respond soon, HMRC may take quite a long time for tax amendments expecially if it is a old one.

arifahmmed
Member of Standing

Post by arifahmmed » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:33 am

Looks like you have submitted business or self employed earning. Your accountant can sort this problem. Better you contact with your accountant and he/she can arrange the way to pay unpaid tax without penalty fine . HMRC will amendment tax record instantly when they receive the money. My previous employer mistaken my NI and paid all my tax against different NI. I did not checked my pay slip carefully and only realize when my ILR was due. However when I acknowledged the issue to my employer they have sorted the issue and when I ask HMRC my tax record for last 5 year all was right.

ishara123
Newly Registered

Post by ishara123 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:50 am

Hello Everyone,

The income I showed for my Tier 1 application and extension and the Income I declared in Tax Returns are exactly same (2012/2013 and 2013/2014). No difference. So after that I have arranged a monthly Direct Debit Payment to pay off my Out Standing Tax with HMRC.

The Question is when I apply for my ILR next year based on 10 year Route, Will that Direct Debit payments be an Issue ? My Records are up to date with HMRC and paid my direct debits on time Since December 2014 and continuing to do so. and I am no longer working as a Self Employer.

Any advise and suggestions would be really appreciated.

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 am

ishara123 wrote:Hello Everyone,

The income I showed for my Tier 1 application and extension and the Income I declared in Tax Returns are exactly same (2012/2013 and 2013/2014). No difference. So after that I have arranged a monthly Direct Debit Payment to pay off my Out Standing Tax with HMRC.

The Question is when I apply for my ILR next year based on 10 year Route, Will that Direct Debit payments be an Issue ? My Records are up to date with HMRC and paid my direct debits on time Since December 2014 and continuing to do so. and I am no longer working as a Self Employer.

Any advise and suggestions would be really appreciated.
You should be absolutely fine. Home office is more concerned about the income you declared to HMRC after securing your extension. As you are paying your agreed tax liability via direct debit that should be perfectly fine. Just get a statement from HMRC for the payments you've made to them via direct debit....if that is something hmrc can't provide then you can prove that from your bank statement as well. You would have received some correspondence from hmrc on the amount of direct debit arrangement with them, I suggest you attach that as well along with your other documents. All the best.

ishara123
Newly Registered

Post by ishara123 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 am

Hello Guaravd,
Thank you very much for the encouraging advise and suggestions. I can provide that information and also I can get all the Statements from my HMRC Self Assessment on-line login. Also, I have got the letter from HMRC about the Direct Debit Agreement.

One last Question. Do I need to submit all these information and documents as I am hoping to apply based on 10 year Long Residence Route. Can I submit them if they ask these by any chance ?. I believe there are very limited documents we need to supply when we apply ILR based on 10 year Route.

Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,
Ishara

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:25 am

ishara123 wrote:Hello Guaravd,
Thank you very much for the encouraging advise and suggestions. I can provide that information and also I can get all the Statements from my HMRC Self Assessment on-line login. Also, I have got the letter from HMRC about the Direct Debit Agreement.

One last Question. Do I need to submit all these information and documents as I am hoping to apply based on 10 year Long Residence Route. Can I submit them if they ask these by any chance ?. I believe there are very limited documents we need to supply when we apply ILR based on 10 year Route.

Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,
Ishara
Irrespective of the route you apply (5yrs or 10yrs) hmrc will cross check the information with hmrc. If you browse through he forum you can get live examples of people who have applied through 10yrs route and home office did verified their information with hmrc. So my personal suggestion would be that do submit those documents as it will make the process smoother for you.

ishara123
Newly Registered

Post by ishara123 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:28 am

Thank you very much Guaravd. I will follow your advise.

Kind regards,
Ishara

haqhash

Post by haqhash » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:48 am

Dear Friends,
My questions is related to above. My friend has posted amended tax returns to HMRC. It has been 1 and half month but HMRC has not replied. Now his ILR (10 Years) deadline is approaching.

What should he do? It looks like HMRC has a back log of post

THanks

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:55 am

haqhash wrote:Dear Friends,
My questions is related to above. My friend has posted amended tax returns to HMRC. It has been 1 and half month but HMRC has not replied. Now his ILR (10 Years) deadline is approaching.

What should he do? It looks like HMRC has a back log of post

THanks

Hi Mate,

It's not a backlog, its huge back log due to TR date is just 15 days away and millions of business submission TR manually.

Also few of our friends are keeping them busy for old tax amendments.

I m saying by my experience, I asked a non tax related question and requested the answer in post it took 40+ days to just to get a 2 line reply.

So just pray for fast response.

Thanks
A
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 am

Bear in mind they may well be interest and penalties to pay in addition for any late payments.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

haqhash

Post by haqhash » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks.

Can he apply for ILR any way as he has sent the amended returns OR he should wait for acknowledgement letter from HMRC OR he should wait to completely update all tax information and pay tax and then go for ILR?

This is tricky as he does not have enough time left

Regards

kashiuk1
Newly Registered

Post by kashiuk1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:14 pm

haqhash wrote:Thanks.

Can he apply for ILR any way as he has sent the amended returns OR he should wait for acknowledgement letter from HMRC OR he should wait to completely update all tax information and pay tax and then go for ILR?

Regards
i will Say Wait and pay All taxes else 50/50.

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 pm

haqhash wrote:Thanks.

Regards
It completely depends how much time he has. If he has got good 4-6months left for his ILR application then I think he should wait to hear from hmrc, pay his tax and then apply.

If there is not much time left for his ILR then he should apply for ILR anyway as he has sent the amended returns. But ensure that HMRC has received his request for amended returns. Even in this situation I'll advice him to pay tax before hand (as you will be aware of the tax liability already). All the best.