ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening bank account w/o proof of residence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

knm812
Newly Registered

Opening bank account w/o proof of residence

Post by knm812 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Having just moved to the UK with a private tenancy contract and all utilities/council tax in the landlord's name...opening a bank account was not easy and it was difficult to get a straight answer from the banks themselves. So I just wanted to add my experience for those with the same issue.

I read about LLoyds "New to the UK" terms on their site (https://www.lloydsbank.com/banking-with ... the-uk.asp) where you can open an account with just a passport/identity document but was skeptical as when I tried to open an account online I received an email asking me to come to the branch with my passport AND proof of address. However, I called to clarify and they said a letter from the landlord would be sufficient. When I actually went into the branch for the appointment the advisor didn't even ask for the letter and we opened a joint account with just our passports (we are French and American).

Just wanted to share. :)

kunfayakun
Member of Standing

Re: Opening bank account w/o proof of residence

Post by kunfayakun » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm

It happened to me as well and I hope your post would help people in this forum. Thank you for sharing this!
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun