ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation for my child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shail_144329
Newly Registered

Applying for naturalisation for my child

Post by shail_144329 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Hello Experts,

Me and my family hold ILR status and would be soon completing one year. My hubby and myself may not be interested in applying for citizenship but would like to do so for my 8 years old son. Is it possible to apply for citizenship for my child alone when both of us as parents hold only the ILR status?

Please advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for naturalisation for my child

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Where was your child born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shail_144329
Newly Registered

Post by shail_144329 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks for the reply.
My child was born in India.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Then the answer is no. Child will only be able to apply when one of the parents apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shail_144329
Newly Registered

Post by shail_144329 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks for the information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:53 pm

As I understand it, the status of children born outside the UK is in-line with that of the less-privileged parent.

I might be wrong, but I believe that both parents need to be British citizens before applying for registration under Section 3(1).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 pm

secret.simon wrote:As I understand it, the status of children born outside the UK is in-line with that of the less-privileged parent.

I might be wrong, but I believe that both parents need to be British citizens before applying for registration under Section 3(1).
No, one parent can be settled and the other can have or be applying for citizenship at the same time as applying for children born abroad. See page 12 of the MN1 Guide

Born abroad children under 18 cannot apply on their own under section 3(1), but could apply on AN when they reach 18 of course.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alladin

Post by alladin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 pm

secret.simon wrote:As I understand it, the status of children born outside the UK is in-line with that of the less-privileged parent.

According to the guidance

"Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one
or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition
of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family
application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s
discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already
hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is
settled in the UK"