ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Staying longer than stated - Student Visitor

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

orgone

Staying longer than stated - Student Visitor

Post by orgone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello,

In April, I applied for a student visitor visa (Short-term student visa now) to attend my Phd viva. I had only intended to stay three weeks and this was mentioned in the application. Unfortunately, I was asked my the examiners to correct substantial portions of my thesis for resubsmission. Since the date of expiry on my visa was over 5 months away, I decided to stay in the UK to access the library and other university resources. I left before the expiry date.

I have to return to the UK around March or April to resubmit the thesis and attend a fresh viva. It has been pointed out to me that I would have problems with the application as I stayed longer than I stated. What should I do at this point? Should I mention this in the visa application that I will make early next year?

Secondly, I used the GP to see a doctor for my neck pain. I had been staying in the UK for 6 years and I visited my usual GP during the student visitor period. They prescribed some painkillers and the pharmacy didn't ask me for any money. I didn't realize that as a student visitor, I had to enlist as a private patient. Will this be a problem? If it is, what should I do? Should I get in touch with the GP to pay for that consultation? (I am in India now.)

I am extremely disappointed to know that I committed mistakes that I didn't know was consequential. My friend has scared me and now I am worried that I won't be able to access the university facilities before resubmission or attend the viva in person. It is very difficult to have a viva through skype or other means as the internet is very slow and unreliable in my country. I know that the application is a few months away but This would be my fifth application for a UK visa. I haven't been refused before. I have not overstayed or broken any law. I would appreciate any advice.

PS: I would be applying for a short-term student visa in March or April.

orgone

Re: Staying longer than stated - Student Visitor

Post by orgone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:16 am

Hi, I would appreciate any reply on this matter. Please advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

orgone wrote:Hi, I would appreciate any reply on this matter. Please advice.
See this thread:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 95597.html

Contact the GP and settle any outstanding NHS charges before submitting your application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

orgone

Post by orgone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Thank you. I have already contacted the GP. Regarding the aspect of staying longer than stated, should I write a letter to the eCO along with the application explaining my reasons? How do I approach this?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 pm

orgone wrote:Thank you. I have already contacted the GP. Regarding the aspect of staying longer than stated, should I write a letter to the eCO along with the application explaining my reasons? How do I approach this?
Give the reasons for staying longer when you submit your application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

orgone

Post by orgone » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Hello guys, just an update. I am applying for the visa next week. I received a letter from the uni in support of my application. I am including a cover letter that explains why I stayed longer than I stated in the original application (but without overstaying on the given visa). I have explained the nature of my predicament (unexpected resubmission decision for my PhD), and my belief that a visa for six months entitled me to stay there for that period. I have also offered to notify the border agency with all future updates if and when required. Do any of you have any other suggestions before I submit? I realize that it is a sticky situation, but I would appreciate all advice. I really want to get this PhD degree, and it is next to impossible to do a viva over Skype. Thanks. Please reply.