ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year ilr confusion

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Nice one. I have read this. I will come back when I receive a response to IND later on next week!
Praise The Lord!!!!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:48 pm

I wasn't going to bother looking it up, but I felt inclined to do so to shut you up!!!

:D

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:55 pm

You didn't need to, it was on page 1 of this thread. :)

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm

paulp wrote:You didn't need to, it was on page 1 of this thread. :)
Whoops!

If only Jes had thought to look there too!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

VictoriaS wrote:
paulp wrote:You didn't need to, it was on page 1 of this thread. :)
Whoops!

If only Jes had thought to look there too!

Victoria
Oh Girl, I did look and if you look on Page 1 of this thread, I posted a quote from the Policy :roll:
Praise The Lord!!!!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Do any of you have any contacts higher-up at the home office? Can you ask if the bold (mine) part in the IDI is needed at all? Wouldn't that settle it?

"A person who leaves the UK when one period of leave expires , and comes back with a fresh grant of leave, will not be resuming his continuous residence, but will instead be starting a new period of
residence in the UK."

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Like I said, I have had refusals on this point. Unless it is challenged at JR, it will stand with the interpretation I have given. I'm not sure what the argument is about.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:21 am

VictoriaS wrote:Like I said, I have had refusals on this point. Unless it is challenged at JR, it will stand with the interpretation I have given. I'm not sure what the argument is about.
Victoria
I for one do understand completely where the loophole/argument lies and think that a good solicitor or a lawyer who understands the meaning of the bold part of the statement below, as pointed out by paulp, makes the whole world of difference between a refusal and a continuous residence.

"A person who leaves the UK when one period of leave expires , and comes back with a fresh grant of leave, will not be resuming his continuous residence, but will instead be starting a new period of
residence in the UK."

If one can argue that the continuity is broken only if the visa expires and since it has not expired before the client entered on the next one, how the hell can the continuity be broken?(Do not know how to put it in lawyer terms.)

Had to put it in simple English to shut you up! :D
Jabi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 am

These are arguments which have been made, believe me, but with no luck, hence heading off for JR.

You are making the mistake of applying logic to the Home Office, and you are suggesting that they only apply the law lawfully...we know this is not true!!! I recently had a case where there was an overlap, and another where leave ended one day and was renewed the next, and these were still refused without appeal. Remember, the people who casework these things from within the UK are generally brainless morons. This is why so many refusals are overturned (I have a 100 per cent record on appeals) but when there is no right of appeal it is all made so much harder.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35 am

VictoriaS wrote: You are making the mistake of applying logic to the Home Office, and you are suggesting that they only apply the law lawfully...we know this is not true!!!.
Yes! But even they are not above the law! If they do not follow it and gives no right to appeal, there should and must be a legal way to challenge them, especially in a case where the law is as clear as it is in this case. We have seen less clear cases being won on technicalities . There might be a need for a JR, the effort strenuous and maybe costly, but even a half competent lawyer could make the judge see the side of the story that we want to be seen. It should be worth it in the end.

P.S- While the overlap one might be easy, the one where the visa was given the very next day might go either way. But I think I can come up with an argument for that as well.
Jabi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:33 am

Of course I can come up with an argument, as I did for the initial applications, but I have no rights of audience at JR, and my clients don't have unlimited money to take things this far. At the moment, my hands are tied.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:56 am

Docterror wrote:
VictoriaS wrote:Like I said, I have had refusals on this point. Unless it is challenged at JR, it will stand with the interpretation I have given. I'm not sure what the argument is about.
Victoria
I for one do understand completely where the loophole/argument lies and think that a good solicitor or a lawyer who understands the meaning of the bold part of the statement below, as pointed out by paulp, makes the whole world of difference between a refusal and a continuous residence.

residence in the UK."

If one can argue that the continuity is broken only if the visa expires and since it has not expired before the client entered on the next one, how the hell can the continuity be broken?(Do not know how to put it in lawyer terms.)

Had to put it in simple English to shut you up! :D
Thanks for this. Because they do not see logic, it is always good to have it in black and white. I have done this before by sending an email to clarify an issue and when it was time, I included the email response and it worked.

I did not get the chance to send the email last night (my hands are tied if I may borrow Victoria's lingua). I will definitely seek official clarification from the HO and will post accordingly when I receive a response.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:50 pm

jes2jes, Victoria has already reported that she had already tried that line of defence at the HO and had not succeeded. So, an email might not yeild any different an opinion from them.

The HO may not respond to logic and it is not logic alone I am talking about. It is the interpretation of the law as it stands, especially with such a clear statement regarding the expiry of the visa. I personally will never have to take the HO to the court for denying me ILR after 10 years of legal residence. But, if someone is willing and capable enough, and the rejection is based solely on the reason at hand, I do see a very clear cut case.

Maybe, JR is the way and we will need a different sort of a lawyer for that. Maybe a lot of financial resources might be needed, which I suspect, can be recovered. But, nonetheless, there is an argument there to be won.

So, in short, no point holding your breath for the HO's response.
Jabi

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Well, good people, I told you I will come back and here I am.
I sent the following email to BIA (some omitted of course):
Dear Sir/madam:
I would be grateful if you could offer me clarification concerning the Immigration Rules under Paragraphs 276A-276D concerning the Long Residence Rule (Chapter 18 - Long Residency).

The IDI on Long Residency States and I quote:
2.1.3 Time Spent Out of the United Kingdom

"To benefit from this, an applicant must have current leave covering the whole of the period spent out of the country and will have been readmitted, on return from his absence, to continue that period of existing leave. A person, who leaves the UK when one period of leave expires, and comes back with a fresh grant of leave, will not beresuming his continuous residence, but will instead be starting a new period of residence in the UK (Emphasis mine).

This is my question:

The rule emphasis that a person who leaves the UK when one period of leave expires and comes back with a fresh grant of leave will not be resuming his continuous residence, but will instead be starting a new period of residency in the UK. Now what of the case where I had an existing leave which had not expired and entered with a new leave within a few weeks whist maintaining residency in the UK for theshort period abroad? Does this constitute a break in continuous residency or not? If it does or it does not, can you please explain?
Their Response:
Dear xxx,

Thank you for your enquiry.
Please be advised of the following: "Continuity shall not be considered to have been broken where an applicant is absent from the United Kingdom for a period of 6 months or less at any one time, provided that the applicant has existing limitedleave to enter or remain upon his departure and return". Therefore, provided there was no break from your leave to remain in the UK up until your new visa was granted (your new leave to enter), there is no break in continuous residence.

Yours sincerely
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Managed Migration
Border & Immigration Agency
Well, come now Victoria. I was right and I was on the spot for the money :roll: I want to tell the OP as I said earlier in the thread that, you would be fine so long as your leave did not expire before the new EC was issued.

Your comments are of course welcome.

NB: I have fired another email since they did not send the policy document with their response.

Cheers!
Praise The Lord!!!!

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 pm

JR doesn't necessarily cost the earth.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:20 pm

jes2jes, that is wonderful a response to recieve and quite honestly one I did not expect from the HO. It means that they too agree with our point of view which is quite fantastic.
Jabi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Then someone tell me why refusals have been made by the Home Office on just this basis? It is another case of the left hand saying one thing when the right hand does another.

Amanda - I will be in touch tomorrow with regard to a number of JR's which, in light of this correspondence, I feel have some chance of success.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Fine - I'm doing a JR tomorrow in the morning, and a reconsideration in the afternoon at Field House, but I'll get back to you when I can!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Many thanks - and best of luck with your cases.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Docterror wrote:jes2jes, that is wonderful a response to recieve and quite honestly one I did not expect from the HO. It means that they too agree with our point of view which is quite fantastic.
It is good news and I have filed it away for my records since it applies to me for ILR next couple of months. I am trying for them to send me the policy docs. They came back with a reference to the IDI on chapter 18 and I told them that it does not state what the CW stated. I am awaiting this and I will post accordingly.

Vic, I recommend you send an email yourself to the enquiry line and when you receive a response, you can use it as part of your appeal or the JR. The paper trail always helps.
Praise The Lord!!!!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 pm

'Always'? No. But thanks anyway.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Victoria, Amanda, Doc and Co:

I have just come off the phone with the BIA advisors. They told me the same thing the email above stated and said as long as there was no gap whilst you were abroad, continuity is not broken.

He finished by telling me you can go ahead and make your application. Looking forward to it in a few months time. What a relief. :lol: :D

Hope this helps you guys out with your JR's.
Praise The Lord!!!!

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm

So can anyone tell me, how would one go about initiating a judicial review against the Home Office ? If my application failed and I wanted to challenge the decision what could I do?

Also I wonder. The IDI's are BIA's interpretation but what does the actual law say about continuous residency ?
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:23 pm

VictoriaS wrote:If someone has left the UK whilst on one visa, ie a working holidaymaker, and re-entered on another, ie a student, then this will constitute a break in residency and the application will be refused. There seems to be no discretion on this.

Victoria
Why is the Home Office so strict on these points ? What is this directive supposed to achieve?
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Fewer people with ILR of course.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!