ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E111 Treatment - HSMP holder eligiblity

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Vayu

E111 Treatment - HSMP holder eligiblity

Post by Vayu » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:40 pm

Anyone know if HSMP holders are eligible for E111 Medical Treatment in the rest of the EU.

The government website says that non EU nationals with legal residence in the UK are eligble for E111 treatment, however, does this extend to HSMP holders, or does it only mean those with ILR in the UK?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:47 pm

Only ILR. You are not considered resident until the ILR approval.

If you have HSMP, WP, WHM, etc, you are not entitled.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:27 pm

Try-one ... are you sure? Are you saying that a person is not entitled to use the NHS in the UK until they have their ILR? That is surely not right.

Isn't it the case that anyone entitled to use the NHS in the UK is also entitled to get an E111?

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:30 am

You are not considered resident until the ILR approval.
I pray this is not correct. So many things in life depend on 'residency' status -- mortgages, accounts with banks, employment, taxes, etc.

Was kinda hoping we would become 'residents' after a certain amount of time of residing within the country, and that 'residency' could be proven based on phone, electricity, etc. bills and records.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

John

Post by John » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:01 am

Right, let's look at this in more detail. The application form for the E111 says that if you are not an EEA-national then you should read :-

Getting treatment in EEA countries and Switzerland

That includes :-
You are eligible for a Form E111 if you are ordinarily resident in the UK.
Entitlement to use the NHS because of employment here? That is detailed on :-

Engaging in employment in the United Kingdom?

-: so clearly anyone coming to the UK to work is entitled to full use of the NHS as soon as they arrive in the UK.

So it comes down to the definition of "ordinarily resident". According to :-

Who is entitled to free NHS treatment?

-: it does seem that if you are not entitled to full use of the NHS then that is because you are deemed not to be ordinarily resident in the UK. Conversely, if you are entitled to use the NHS then you are ordinarily resident ... and therefore entitled to get an E111 form.

Does that sum it up?

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:39 am

I think I'll just send in an application. If they reject me, then I'll know I'm not eligible! :p

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:38 pm

For E111 purposes you may or may not get treatment on the basis of residence in the UK - as this is a reciprocal arrangement based on being a national of the EU countries (read EU citizenship) it is up to the relvant 3rd country to accept non EU nationals resident in the UK on an indefinite or limited basis. Many 3rd countries e.g France do not - they require the submission of a British Passport for such treatment. In any case the E111 even for those qualifying deals with emergency treatment - I would stick to appropriate travel insurance anyday.

John

Post by John » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:04 pm

I agree, Kayalami, and indeed a bit of that is on the webpage I linked to yesterday at 8.01.am UK time (the first of the three hyperlinks), namely :-
The E111 arrangements apply to stateless persons and refugees resident in the UK. They now also generally apply to Non-EEA nationals lawfully resident in the UK. They do NOT apply to Non-EEA nationals for visits to Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland and private insurance should be obtained. However, Non-EEA nationals visiting Iceland are covered for emergency treatment only under a reciprocal health care agreement between the UK and Iceland. You will need to produce your NHS medical card to get treatment.