ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why can't posts be edited after a while?

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sgc

Why can't posts be edited after a while?

Post by sgc » Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 am

I noticed that posts now become uneditable after a while. I don't think this was always the case on this site. I think it would be better if posts remained editable. Sometimes, for instance, someone may want to remove information they would rather have private, or update a post with new information (especially if a thread says to do that instead of posting again).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Why can't posts be edited after a while?

Post by CR001 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:44 pm

People are able to edit their posts for a certain period of time after posting. This was done because quite ofter people post their query and then they deleted the original post after getting the response and left a thread full of blank spaces with random responses which didn't make sense.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon May 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Yes, a post editing period of 15 minutes should be ample. Deleting/editing posts once an answer has been given is unfair for others and against the principles of the forum.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

aragon

Post by aragon » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:11 pm

But editing post helps in Timeline Threads.

Can you make posts in Timeline threads editable?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:10 pm

aragon wrote:But editing post helps in Timeline Threads.

I second this suggestion. Indeed, I would suggest treating Timeline threads differently such that
a) all Timeline Threads must adhere to a prescribed template.
b) A person can only post once in a Timeline Thread, which should remain editable by them.
c) Questions & comments can not be posted in a Timeline Thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:19 pm

secret.simon wrote:

I second this suggestion. Indeed, I would suggest treating Timeline threads differently such that
b) A person can only post once in a Timeline Thread, which should remain editable by them.
To be honest, it's a nightmare for moderators to look after the Timeline threads. You can't imagine how time-consuming they are to moderate as members just won't follow the guidelines.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Casa wrote:
secret.simon wrote:

To be honest, it's a nightmare for moderators to look after the Timeline threads. You can't imagine how time-consuming they are to moderate as members just won't follow the guidelines.
+1 although I have been actively moderating November and October and have now included the following in the opening post and seems to be going ok for now. I remove the chit chat posts.

"Moderator Edit : A reminder to ALL who contribute on this thread that it is for TIMELINES ONLY. Any discussion or question posts will be deleted"
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:52 am

CR001 wrote:
Casa wrote:
secret.simon wrote: I second this suggestion. Indeed, I would suggest treating Timeline threads differently such that
+1 although I have been actively moderating November and October and have now included the following in the opening post and seems to be going ok for now. I remove the chit chat posts.

"Moderator Edit : A reminder to ALL who contribute on this thread that it is for TIMELINES ONLY. Any discussion or question posts will be deleted"
I should have clarified that I was thinking of an automated software solution, some sort of settings in the forum software, more on the Administrator side than on the moderators'. I did not mean to impose on the moderators.

Thanks for work on that front, CR001. Timeline threads quickly become a maze of irrelevant posts and, ironically, useless for the function they are supposed to serve.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:Thanks for work on that front, CR001. Timeline threads quickly become a maze of irrelevant posts and, ironically, useless for the function they are supposed to serve.
Tell me about it, I sometimes lose the will to live :shock: and I can list by username, who the guilty chit chat users are (horrible having such a good memory sometimes) :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: chit-chat; free for all discussions in timeline topics; general time wasters ...

Been there, done that .... and gave up!
Batleykhan too ....

Only one thing can put an end to this - will to ban the mess-makers!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!