ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Appointment this Friday , help needed.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ramanvirk

ILR Appointment this Friday , help needed.

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:26 pm

dear All

My husband is applying for ILR this Friday going straight to croydon office. We have completed all the documentation but just wanted to double check with you all to make sure I am on the right track.

I am British citizen and husband was granted dependent visa on 05/09/2012 ( dependent visa applied in January 2012 but refused then appeal was successful in September 2012).

according to 2 year rule he completed his qualifying period in sept 2014 but we didn't apply for ILR last year.

Documents submitting for ILR
SET M Completed form along with payment sheet
Life in UK test
Expired IELTS TEST( IELTS was used for entry clearance)
marriage certificate
8 co-hab documents from last 2 years
pay slips
bank statements

please let me know if I need to add anything else?

Kind Regards
Raman

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Appointment this Friday , help needed.

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Does your husband's test appear on the approved test provider list and is it at Level B1? See FAQ - English Language Requirement for ILR (click)

You do not need the payment sheet if you have booked and paid for an appointment online. You should take your payment email you received and also your British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 pm

CR001 wrote:Does your husband's test appear on the approved test provider list and is it at Level B1? See FAQ - English Language Requirement for ILR (click)

You do not need the payment sheet if you have booked and paid for an appointment online. You should take your payment email you received and also your British passport.
hello

thanks for your reply.

I cant see it on the link that you sent me but I rang the settlement office and they advised me that I can bring the certificate and it will be accepted. I made a note of date and time and person I spoke to just in case..
IELST was taken outside UK back in 2009.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:12 pm

CR001 wrote:Does your husband's test appear on the approved test provider list and is it at Level B1?
IELTS is accepted, but there are different types. What exactly does your husband certificate say (level of test - A1 or B1 - awarding body, who the test provider is etc).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
CR001 wrote:Does your husband's test appear on the approved test provider list and is it at Level B1?
IELTS is accepted, but there are different types. What exactly does your husband certificate say (level of test - A1 or B1 - awarding body, who the test provider is etc).
sorry dont know how I do i find out if its A1 OR B1

On the question 5.4 Set M form I am going to tick IELTS SELT Consortium and put a reference number which is on his IELTS Certificate...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm

A1 level is the requirement for a spouse visa. You need to be sure as minimum B1 level is required for ILR and if he does not meet the English requirement, it will likely be refused.

IELTS SELT Consortium only came into being this year. Perhaps wait for one of the other mods to confirm, but I doubt the certificate you have is the SELT consortium in that the new tests are automatically uploaded electronically to HO, your one is not.

On the certificate, who does it say is the awarding institute or body?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Also while CR001 is advising you, I feel I should say that the UKVI 'help line' staff frequently give incorrect advise and will take no responsibility for this, even if you have made a note of the staff member's name.
Why didn't your husband apply for ILR when his 2 year visa expired? Although technically extant leave isn't required, it may be wiser to submit your application by post as in-person applications are for cases which are 100% straightforward. The case workers at the PSC don't have the level of authority to make a decision on any application which may require further checks.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:39 pm

Casa wrote:Also while CR001 is advising you, I feel I should say that the UKVI 'help line' staff frequently give incorrect advise and will take no responsibility for this, even if you have made a note of the staff member's name.
Why didn't your husband apply for ILR when his 2 year visa expired? Although technically extant leave isn't required, it may be wiser to submit your application by post as in-person applications are for cases which are 100% straightforward. The case workers at the PSC don't have the level of authority to make a decision on any application which may require further checks.
cant post it now as going to india in January ...i am worried now because I was confident that I was told over the phone that IELTS is accepted but didn't know about the different types and levels.

he has a score of 5 .5 in both listening and English which I think makes it at B1 level

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:41 pm

CR001 wrote:A1 level is the requirement for a spouse visa. You need to be sure as minimum B1 level is required for ILR and if he does not meet the English requirement, it will likely be refused.

IELTS SELT Consortium only came into being this year. Perhaps wait for one of the other mods to confirm, but I doubt the certificate you have is the SELT consortium in that the new tests are automatically uploaded electronically to HO, your one is not.

On the certificate, who does it say is the awarding institute or body?

he has a score of 5.5 in listening and speaking and looking at IELTS website it looks like that the scoring makes it at a B1 level. I am extremely worried now...

What should I fill on question 5.4 or leave it blank?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 pm

CR001 wrote:On the certificate, who does it say is the awarding institute or body?
For example does it say Pearson, PET, Cambridge, ESOL, etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
CR001 wrote:On the certificate, who does it say is the awarding institute or body?
For example does it say Pearson, PET, Cambridge, ESOL, etc.
University of Cambridge..

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:28 am

Suggest your best course of action is to defer ILR appointment;
spouse to book & take a B1 English test from one of the providers on the approved list.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:02 am

noajthan wrote:Suggest your best course of action is to defer ILR appointment;
spouse to book & take a B1 English test from one of the providers on the approved list.
I'm not sure that deferring would be possible due to the statement "according to 2 year rule he completed his qualifying period in sept 2014 but we didn't apply for ILR last year."
The Op appears to be intending to travel outside of the UK and if his 2 year spouse visa has expired, he would have no valid leave to re-enter. There's been no clarification as to why ILR wasn't applied for in 2014. :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:06 pm

A recent case of refusal of an application due to an expired IELTS qualification.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Casa wrote:
noajthan wrote:Suggest your best course of action is to defer ILR appointment;
I'm not sure that deferring would be possible due to the statement "according to 2 year rule he completed his qualifying period in sept 2014 but we didn't apply for ILR last year."
The Op appears to be intending to travel outside of the UK and if his 2 year spouse visa has expired, he would have no valid leave to re-enter. There's been no clarification as to why ILR wasn't applied for in 2014. :?

husband still has visa until 26/02/2016 so trying to cancel his appointment and he will take another english exam..

ILR wasnt applied in 2014 due to lack of finances..

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 pm

In which case it would be wise to follow noajthan's advice.
(Casa, not CR001)

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Casa wrote:In which case it would be wise to follow noajthan's advice.

thanks all

if i dont attend my appointment, will HO refund the application fee ? I have sent an email for cancellation but no response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:33 pm

ramanvirk wrote:[if i dont attend my appointment, will HO refund the application fee ?
No they are unlikely to refund if you do not attend and you have run out of time for cancellation based on the link below

https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-service ... ppointment
If you want to cancel or reschedule your appointment
If you applied online for a Tier 2 visa, or as a dependant of a Tier 1, 2 or 5 worker, you must withdraw your application to cancel your appointment. You will need to apply again for a new appointment.

For all other visas, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment using your online UK Visa and Immigration services account. You must:

cancel at least 5 working days before your appointment
reschedule at least 48 hours before your appointment
You’ll be refunded the full fee for cancellations made at least 5 working days before your appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 pm

CR001 wrote:
ramanvirk wrote:[if i dont attend my appointment, will HO refund the application fee ?
No they are unlikely to refund if you do not attend and you have run out of time for cancellation based on the link below

https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-service ... ppointment
If you want to cancel or reschedule your appointment
If you applied online for a Tier 2 visa, or as a dependant of a Tier 1, 2 or 5 worker, you must withdraw your application to cancel your appointment. You will need to apply again for a new appointment.

For all other visas, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment using your online UK Visa and Immigration services account. You must:

cancel at least 5 working days before your appointment
reschedule at least 48 hours before your appointment
You’ll be refunded the full fee for cancellations made at least 5 working days before your appointment.

will they keep the whole amount including the application fee? I HAVE PAID 1900 POUNDS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Possibly yes. It might be easier/possible to reschedule the appointment for early January instead of cancelling.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:59 pm

CR001 wrote:Possibly yes. It might be easier/possible to reschedule the appointment for early January instead of cancelling.
I am trying for rescheduling it for january but not getting anywhere. I have rung 3 times but call centre is saying I need to email and then wait...it can take upto 10 days......so worried now...

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:04 pm

CR001 wrote:Possibly yes. It might be easier/possible to reschedule the appointment for early January instead of cancelling.
dear CR001

please see below--- I read this in another forum and thought would ask you if this is still true or rules has changed since october 2013?

The Modernised guidance Knowledge of language and life in the UK – version
13.0 page 33 explains that since 28 October 2013, we will accept a range
of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met
the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification.
[1]http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco...
This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able
to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one
who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above
will be required to take another one.

The following qualifications will be therefore be accepted for settlement
and naturalisation purposes:

• Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the
Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules,
Appendix O. The SELT list is available at:

[2]www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/ ... -tests.pdf

• Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at
Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and
that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations
Regulation (Ofqual), the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum,
Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). The qualification must be listed as an
ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications and have
been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The register is
available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2.

• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework

IELTS (Academic and General Training) is on both the SELT list, and in
Appendix O of the rules, therefore would be acceptable as evidence that an
applicant who had scored:

Listening – 4.0

Speaking – 4.0

has met the English language element of the KOLL requirement. The fact
that an applicant’s qualifying English language certificate had expired
would not prevent them from using their pass notification as evidence that
they had reached level B1 (CEFR) English for a settlement or British
citizenship application. They would not be expected to take another
English language test, but will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Have you clicked on and read the link (and links within this link) I have already provided with the most up to date requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:03 pm

It's out of date. The link CR001 has posted for you gives the current requirements.
(Casa, not CR001)

ramanvirk

Post by ramanvirk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello all

i have requested a cancellation and Iknow Iwill not get refund of £100. will UKBA refund the remainder fee or they will keep it as I cancelled at a short notice?

please advise..