ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after naturalisation but before passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ukswus

Travel after naturalisation but before passport

Post by ukswus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:29 am

I got my citizenship recently and unfortunately do not have time to apply for a British passport before scheduled travel on holidays. From reading this board, it appears that people in this situation have not had problems entering the UK on their foreign passports+BRP+citizenship certificates. What worries me though is that the new guide, issued in December, says the following on page 22:

If you need to travel to and from the UK after being granted British citizenship you must apply for a British passport or a Certificate of entitlement to the right of abode, to be placed in your foreign passport. Guidance on applying for a British passport can be found on Gov.UK. Following a grant of citizenship your BRP will be cancelled, which means a carrier may refuse to accept it as evidence that you are entitled to reside in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0__2_.pdf

As far as I am aware, this is a new paragraph, which makes this all the more disconcerting. I am not so worried about foreign carriers, as I don't think they have any way of knowing whether BRP is cancelled or not, but rather about their effort to emphasize that one should only travel with the British passport or the RoA.

Is my worry justified, or am I overreacting?

noajthan

Re: Travel after naturalisation but before passport

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:10 am

ukswus wrote:I got my citizenship recently and unfortunately do not have time to apply for a British passport before scheduled travel on holidays. From reading this board, it appears that people in this situation have not had problems entering the UK on their foreign passports+BRP+citizenship certificates. What worries me though is that the new guide, issued in December, says the following on page 22:

If you need to travel to and from the UK after being granted British citizenship you must apply for a British passport or a Certificate of entitlement to the right of abode, to be placed in your foreign passport. Guidance on applying for a British passport can be found on Gov.UK. Following a grant of citizenship your BRP will be cancelled, which means a carrier may refuse to accept it as evidence that you are entitled to reside in the UK.

As far as I am aware, this is a new paragraph, which makes this all the more disconcerting. I am not so worried about foreign carriers, as I don't think they have any way of knowing whether BRP is cancelled or not, but rather about their effort to emphasize that one should only travel with the British passport or the RoA.

You should not rely on BRP after date of naturalisation as it is technically invalid whether or not some airline happens about it or not.
This is not new even if guidance has been changed (again) recently.

The timeline for applying for a British passport is also fairly well-known and that should be factored in when doing any forward planning such as for travel plans/holidays.

You should be readmitted to UK with naturalisation document but expect some delay & discussion/questions at point of re-entry.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 am

Some members are receiving their passports within 2 weeks at the moment so it depends on when you plan to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:28 am

noajthan wrote:
ukswus wrote:I got my citizenship recently and unfortunately do not have time to apply for a British passport before scheduled travel on holidays. From reading this board, it appears that people in this situation have not had problems entering the UK on their foreign passports+BRP+citizenship certificates. What worries me though is that the new guide, issued in December, says the following on page 22:

You should not rely on BRP after date of naturalisation as it is technically invalid whether or not some airline happens about it or not.
This is not new even if guidance has been changed (again) recently.

The timeline for applying for a British passport is also fairly well-known and that should be factored in when doing any forward planning such as for travel plans/holidays.

You should be readmitted to UK with naturalisation document but expect some delay & discussion/questions at point of re-entry.
Well, spending Christmas holidays with parents is a pretty big deal for many people, myself included. Unfortunately, since I cannot move Christmas+New Year dates, and given that I had no way of knowing that my citizenship application would take 5 months to be processed, I don't think it's fair to say that this predicament is completely my fault.

When I mentioned BRP, I did not mean to say that I would rely on it to establish my right to re-enter UK, but rather that I will show it to the airline carrier which requires such a proof. Since I do not have a passport which allows visa-free travel to the UK, this is my only option, as citizenship certificate, as you well know, is not a travel document.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:13 pm

ukswus wrote:Well, spending Christmas holidays with parents is a pretty big deal for many people, myself included. Unfortunately, since I cannot move Christmas+New Year dates, and given that I had no way of knowing that my citizenship application would take 5 months to be processed, I don't think it's fair to say that this predicament is completely my fault.

When I mentioned BRP, I did not mean to say that I would rely on it to establish my right to re-enter UK, but rather that I will show it to the airline carrier which requires such a proof. Since I do not have a passport which allows visa-free travel to the UK, this is my only option, as citizenship certificate, as you well know, is not a travel document.
HO will still be completely indifferent & advise against travel plans before all necessary documents are in place.

I make no judgement just hard knocks & bitter experience.
My family also has had to write off travel plans this year & incurred costs in shifting flights (etc etc); a once in 10-years family reunion (including for aging relatives we may never seen again) was still ruined.

The facts are...
Naturalisation: 4-6 months or more;
First passport: 2 (if you're lucky) or 4 - 6 weeks (assuming no change of name issues);
&
a BRP is technically invalid once someone has been naturalised;
so it's your call how you choose to use it or represent it to an airline.
You also have no way of knowing how soon HO/UKVI may cancel it from their systems.

There has even been some mention on the forum of a new requirement to return BRP once naturalised (?) - but I haven't dug into that.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:03 pm

If you are an EEA national with a passport of your home country and you have been naturalised in the UK, but have not yet got a British passport, is there any problem with travelling out of and back into the UK on your still valid EEA passport?

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:31 pm

noajthan wrote: There has even been some mention on the forum of a new requirement to return BRP once naturalised (?) - but I haven't dug into that.
Page 9 of Biometric Information
Arrangements will be made for the cancelation of the biometric residence permit (BRP) once
British citizenship is granted

Where a person who holds a BRP is granted British citizenship they are required to return
their BRP to the Home Office. It should be sent to:

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

Failure to return a BRP to the Home Office following a grant of British citizenship may result
in the issuance of a financial penalty

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:49 pm

ohara wrote:If you are an EEA national with a passport of your home country and you have been naturalised in the UK, but have not yet got a British passport, is there any problem with travelling out of and back into the UK on your still valid EEA passport?
No as you are free to travel on your EU passport. This thread and question relates specifically to ILR under the UK immigration rules, not the EU route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:53 am

... by way of update, I decided to apply for a British passport, ahead of my travel abroad next week. It was risky, bit at the end of the day I recieved the passport and all the supporting documents in one week.

Very impressed with HMPO service.

Scotty310380
Newly Registered

Post by Scotty310380 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 am

Hey chaps! I'm finding myself in a similar situation needing to travel in 4 weeks time. Just curious if anyone knows if everyone has to have an identification interview or just selected people. I imagine that may slow the process down somewhat.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 am

Scotty310380 wrote:Hey chaps! I'm finding myself in a similar situation needing to travel in 4 weeks time. Just curious if anyone knows if everyone has to have an identification interview or just selected people. I imagine that may slow the process down somewhat.
Unless you have used the NCS combined BC/Passport application trial service offered by a limited number of Councils at present, you will be contacted to attend an interview before the passport is issued.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tripping

Post by tripping » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:32 am

Scotty310380 wrote:Hey chaps! I'm finding myself in a similar situation needing to travel in 4 weeks time. Just curious if anyone knows if everyone has to have an identification interview or just selected people. I imagine that may slow the process down somewhat.
Everyone has to attend a passport interview. If you are non EU and dont have an EU passport, assuming you have attended the ceremony and attained the BC certificate, suggest you submit the passport application now before your holiday. Your BRP is now invalidated and has to be returned to HO. There is a good chance of getting your passport within 4 weeks. Otherwise you may have to postpone your trip.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:36 am

tripping wrote:
Everyone has to attend a passport interview. If you are non EU and dont have an EU passport, assuming you have attended the ceremony and attained the BC certificate, suggest you submit the passport application now before your holiday. Your BRP is now invalidated and has to be returned to HO. There is a good chance of getting your passport within 4 weeks. Otherwise you may have to postpone your trip.
Re Interview: except for those who have applied through the combined BC/passport service.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.