ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

habibi75
Newly Registered

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by habibi75 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi everyone finally i got my passport i reverted my name in my maiden name (deep poll) i hope in the future we can take our husband names without hassle. At least i have a passport . I would love to have it in my husband name but i cant be bother with the whole process that cost more money, time and at the end with the same results. Something has to change in our favor girls....

steph2015
Newly Registered

Post by steph2015 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 pm

hey guys updates, I wrote a letter to my local mp explianing about the passport office requiring me to get a jamaican passport in my new maiden name and within 5 days i got a email from my mp with a response from passport office saying they made a error and they are sending a letter for m to get an interview, i didn't want for the letter i called up booked the interview and 2 days after the interview i got my british passport 2 days later with my maiden name. journey over. please feel to ask me any advice. I think this one name policy is very foolish

Musicbox
Newly Registered

Post by Musicbox » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Congratulations Habibi, journey over (Until passport renewal...lol) !!!

Looks like the only way is to revert back everything to a maiden name if you want to get through this totally stupid rule of identity. I just feel sorry for all honest people trying their hardest to get their passport. It makes a mockery of marriage vows....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Congratulations to habibi75 & steph2015;
your shared experiences & perseverance will surely inspire & help other members in similar circumstances.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi All,

My Wife (TZ) National just sent off her application for her first British Passport following Naturalisation earlier on this month, and we made a call to the HMPO asking for advice, they suggested to have the 1st Passport in the Married name we:

1. Complete the application in the Married name
2. Send over a) Marriage Cert b) Naturalisation cert d) Un cancelled passport along with
3. A Cover letter instructing the HMPO to issue the Passport in the married name

(We made a note of the HMPO advisors name and date of call to add to the letter.

(This was down to the TZ passport being Expired and the country of TZ disallowing dual Nationality so having a TZ Passport renewal in the maiden name would not be allowed.

My wife did the above, and week passes and the supporting documents sent back with Thanks.
we subsequently called up for a status update, and the advisor suggested that a interview letter would be sent the following week, and I asked what name the passport would be issued in and said the MARRIED Name.

I know I dont want to jump the gun but hopefully HMPO will issue in the new name: Il Keep you guys informed.

NOTE: I think it may be different for countries who dont allow dual nationality. Just a thought :P

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Iman230 wrote:Hi All,

My Wife (TZ) National just sent off her application for her first British Passport following Naturalisation earlier on this month, and we made a call to the HMPO asking for advice, they suggested to have the 1st Passport in the Married name we:

1. Complete the application in the Married name
2. Send over a) Marriage Cert b) Naturalisation cert d) Un cancelled passport along with
3. A Cover letter instructing the HMPO to issue the Passport in the married name

(We made a note of the HMPO advisors name and date of call to add to the letter.

(This was down to the TZ passport being Expired and the country of TZ disallowing dual Nationality so having a TZ Passport renewal in the maiden name would not be allowed.

NOTE: I think it may be different for countries who dont allow dual nationality. Just a thought :P
Sounds a very cogent and well-planned approach.

Fingers crossed - we're rooting for you.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Credit for the approach goes to nojathan who inspired this topic

Ngitz
Newly Registered

Post by Ngitz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 pm

noajthan wrote:
Ngitz wrote:do i need to present anything in embassy or just my PH passport as i dont have my certificate,PO only send back my passport and hold my cert..Finger's crossed that i will get letter on same day..
Present your passport, suggest hand in a covering letter too.

They will need sight of your naturalisation certificate - I didn't know this at the time & we didn't have it with us.
A scanned copy sent to the embassy a day or so later was accepted.

I think the fee for this service was £8 or £12, something like that (can't quite remember).

It is unlikely they will write the letter of cancellation & do all this for you there & then;
suggest leave a reply-paid self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for return of your (cancelled) passport plus the letter.

The whole exercise took something like 10 days to 2 weeks or so all in.

Ngitz
Newly Registered

Post by Ngitz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Ngitz wrote:
noajthan wrote:
Ngitz wrote:do i need to present anything in embassy or just my PH passport as i dont have my certificate,PO only send back my passport and hold my cert..Finger's crossed that i will get letter on same day..
Present your passport, suggest hand in a covering letter too.

They will need sight of your naturalisation certificate - I didn't know this at the time & we didn't have it with us.
A scanned copy sent to the embassy a day or so later was accepted.

I think the fee for this service was £8 or £12, something like that (can't quite remember).

It is unlikely they will write the letter of cancellation & do all this for you there & then;
suggest leave a reply-paid self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for return of your (cancelled) passport plus the letter.

The whole exercise took something like 10 days to 2 weeks or so all in.
i went to PH embassy for passport cancellation but they said they can't do it. Nid a letter fr HMPO stating to cancel my Ph passport, i rang PO office they said they can't issue the letter..can i ask what cover letter did u give to PH embassy go cancel ur wife's passport?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:30 am

Ngitz wrote:i went to PH embassy for passport cancellation but they said they can't do it. Nid a letter fr HMPO stating to cancel my Ph passport, i rang PO office they said they can't issue the letter..can i ask what cover letter did u give to PH embassy go cancel ur wife's passport?
I didn't have any official letter to show the embassy.

We just spent all day there & spoke to a number of officials; we had to explain the situation several times over before anyone got the point.

Finally we found one official, a lady in the passport section, who understood what was needed; (I didn't get her name). Then they arranged it.

So the secret was patience & not taking no for an answer.

fyi - here is a link to what I posted just after attending the embassy (earlier this year):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1181344
&
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1181532
also:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1189342
& finally:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1190622

Ziuta

Post by Ziuta » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:50 am

Ok I'm facing application for the passport. I have ceremony early next month and I'm planning to apply for passport after 19th Jan. Then I will have my foreign passport in my married name. This is where the fun begins, ho lost my marriage certificate, I have emails proving it etc. My naturalisation certificate will be in maiden name. And here is my question how long does it take to change surname (deed poll) or do you think I should just take a risk and sent all my documents with married name with unchanged surname on the certificate.
Applied: 02/06/2015
Fee deducted: 13/06/2015
Acknowledgement letter: 16/06/2015 (dated 13/06)
Biometrics: 16/06/2015
Approval: 28/11/2015

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:13 am

Ziuta wrote:Ok I'm facing application for the passport. I have ceremony early next month and I'm planning to apply for passport after 19th Jan. Then I will have my foreign passport in my married name. This is where the fun begins, ho lost my marriage certificate, I have emails proving it etc. My naturalisation certificate will be in maiden name. And here is my question how long does it take to change surname (deed poll) or do you think I should just take a risk and sent all my documents with married name with unchanged surname on the certificate.
If you can apply for official copy of marrige certificate it will help.
It is hard to see how you can manage in any dealings with officialdom & government agencies without that.

That marriage certificate (copy) will support basis of name change from naturalisation certificate.
It is one of the documents listed (in passport guidance notes) as required to support a name change; (see Table).

The main thing is your foreign passport is in your 'target' married name;
:arrow: that is what HMPO will want to see in order for your application to progress smoothly.

( :idea: While you're doing all this suggest take multiple copies & scan all your important papers, just for your records).

nolada

Post by nolada » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:53 am

Just an update may help some .. I changed my name with deep poll and I cancelled my original passport on my old name after few letters up and down they accept my application for bp and they will put in remarks page that I used to b known as different name in my country and they will move it if I revoked my nationality

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:30 am

nolada wrote:Just an update may help some .. I changed my name with deep poll and I cancelled my original passport on my old name after few letters up and down they accept my application for bp and they will put in remarks page that I used to b known as different name in my country and they will move it if I revoked my nationality
Congratulations.

It will be reassuring to other members in a similar position to learn that persistence pays off in the end;
(all dealings with HMPO via letter writing, in order to generate a paper trail, probably helped too).

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 pm

UPDATE: The Other half received her First British Passport, and its in the married name! Took little over 3 weeks, including Interview!

Result!

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 pm

To anyone who intends to follow the process in addition to the Original Poster

A - Complete Passport Application
B - Enclose Marriage Certificate, Naturalisation Document & Covering letter
C - Make a call to the HMPO line, and make sure notes are added (Providing you are following the right process
D - Send off application and wait for processing
E - Attend the Interview
F - Await Passport, usually the following working day from Interview!

If anyone needs any help or advice, please add to this excellent Topic created by nojathan, or PM me

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Iman230 wrote:UPDATE: The Other half received her First British Passport, and its in the married name! Took little over 3 weeks, including Interview!

Result!
Very pleased to hear your news.
Happy traveling in 2016!

More hope for persons who cannot (for whatever reason) make a change to original passport.

Marianova
Newly Registered

Post by Marianova » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Iman230 wrote:To anyone who intends to follow the process in addition to the Original Poster

A - Complete Passport Application
B - Enclose Marriage Certificate, Naturalisation Document & Covering letter
C - Make a call to the HMPO line, and make sure notes are added (Providing you are following the right process
D - Send off application and wait for processing
E - Attend the Interview
F - Await Passport, usually the following working day from Interview!

If anyone needs any help or advice, please add to this excellent Topic created by nojathan, or PM me
Hello
congratulations dear,
I am in a similar situation, I have a question, have they added your wife's maiden name in the observation page of the passport also!

Did you cancel your wife's passport ?

Many thanks

Marianova
Newly Registered

Post by Marianova » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:20 am

Hello everyone

Merry Christmas , happy holidays :)

Dear noajthan

This is an amazing subject and thank you for sharing
Your experience and helping others in their journey.

God bless you sir :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:01 am

Marianova wrote:Hello everyone

Merry Christmas , happy holidays :)

Dear noajthan

This is an amazing subject and thank you for sharing
Your experience and helping others in their journey.

God bless you sir :)
Marianova,
Thanks for kind wishes.
This forum has helped me more.

Good luck with your case.

Marianova
Newly Registered

Post by Marianova » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:30 am

My problem is getting complicated,
The law in Iran dose not allow to change to married name after marriage.
Changing name and surname is almost impossible in Iran, only under very few circumstances. Which i do not fall into the category.
Here is the link for name change in iran:
https://www.sabteahval.ir/kharejeh/tab-5997.aspx

I tried to cancel my passport, the embassy told me that i would need to hire a lawyer in Iran to follow the cancelation path.

I don't mind to give up my Iranian citizenship,it would take couple of years though but someone at the embassy told me that sometimes after obtaining a dual citizenship, Iran dose not recognise you as their citizen. but than another guy told me that is not the case.
I am completely confused.
here is a website which is explains about Iranian dual nationals,

http://www.aijssnet.com/journals/Vol_4_ ... 015/14.pdf

conclusion from the webpage:
*****Conclusion:
The consideration of Iranian private international law through the constitutional and civil law indicates that dual citizenship is not recognized by Iranian legislator. There are several reasons for this non-recognition. First, in accordance with Articles [41] and [42] of the Constitution, one’s Iranian citizenship will be withdrawn by the Government, if he/she acquires a foreign citizenship. In fact, if the Iranian Government recognizes the foreign citizenship of the person concerned, his/her Iranian citizenship will become void. On the contrary, if the Government does not recognize one’s foreign citizenship, it will be considered as null and void and the person concerned remains of Iranian citizenship. The Note of Article [989] of Civil Code also affirms the rule. Second, the general rule that every inhabitant of Iran is considered as an Iranian subject, does not apply to those whose foreign citizenship is certain and indisputable. This rule and its exception are mentioned in Clause [1] of Article [976] of Civil Code. Third, those who are born in Iran and are qualified to acquire Iranian citizenship, will be granted Iranian nationality only if they abandon their patrilineal citizenship. This requirement has been stipulated by Article [977] of Civil Code and the single-clause Bill enacted in 2006. Fourth, non-application of a father’s or a husband’s Iranian acquired nationality to his wife and/ or children who have attained the full age of 18 indicates that Iranian law seeks to prevent dual citizenship.*****

Still in the webpage above the Spammy Spammer to me is not clear, whether I'm still citizen of iran or not after obtaining British Passport and the embassy is not very helpful.
Im totally lost :(

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:35 am

Marianova wrote:My problem is getting complicated,
Changing name and surname is almost impossible in Iran, only under very few circumstances.
I believe you ought to sue the UK government for violation of Article 13 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to which the UK is a signatory. Your case is even stronger in that the application of these rules very obviously and disproportionately affect women. I can't see any valid legal defense the UK could put up to justify this treatment of its own citizens.

Marianova
Newly Registered

Post by Marianova » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:03 am

ouflak1 wrote:
Marianova wrote:My problem is getting complicated,
Changing name and surname is almost impossible in Iran, only under very few circumstances.
I believe you ought to sue the UK government for violation of Article 13 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to which the UK is a signatory. Your case is even stronger in that the application of these rules very obviously and disproportionately affect women. I can't see any valid legal defense the UK could put up to justify this treatment of its own citizens.

Dear Ouflak1
Here explains about article 13,
http://www.claiminghumanrights.org/udhr_article_13.html
I am not sure if article 13 has anything to do with changing name! Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Nevertheless I am not sure taking action against HMPO is a good idea! and is very long,costly, also i have tried to contact couple of solicitors (human rights/ Immigration) and got nowhere,they seem really clueless about such matters.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:13 am

Marianova,
Suggest explain your problem to HMPO in writing, citing what your embassy has told you; you have clear case for exception (observation) to be made.

Get MP involved if need be.

Good luck.

Marianova
Newly Registered

Post by Marianova » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 am

Noajthan,

Thank you for your suggestion,
I have sent a letter to HMPO explaining my situation,
HMPO want me to send them official letter from the embassy, they don't accept my words or those webpage for it. Iranian embassy refuses to help me or issue any letter.

Today I hired a lawyer in iran to start filing an application to cancel my passport.

If i inform Iranian authority that i obtained British Citizenship & cancel my Iranian passport, Dose that mean Iran dose not accept me as its citizen ,according to the conclusion paragraph above?