ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance upsets EC ...and what?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

johnnybaloney
Newly Registered

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance upsets EC ...and what?

Post by johnnybaloney » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi there,

While I'm here I thought I would ask if there is anyone in the know who could tell me the end of the story (if there is one) because the anticipation is killing me.

The requirement of the Comprehensive Sickness Insurance apparently made the European Commission unhappy, that what says the document (direct download) issued by Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA):
Following complaints from ILPA and the AIRE Centre, the European Commission launched infringement proceedings against the UK on this point in April 2012. According to the Commission,
“Under the Free Movement Directive, EU citizens who settle in another EU country but do not work there may be required to have sufficient resources and sickness insurance. The United Kingdom, however, does not consider entitlement to treatment by the UK public healthcare scheme (NHS) as sufficient. This breaches EU law.”
So that was in 2012. What happened next?

secret.simon

Re: Comprehensive Sickness Insurance upsets EC ...and what?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 am

And then this happened and the EU Commission was reminded that if it gets too specific and fussy about the interpretation of EU law, countries can walk out.

The Commission is only the administrative arm of the EU. It does not have the final say on interpretation of EU law, which lies with the CJEU or on EU policy, which lies with the European Council.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

johnnybaloney
Newly Registered

Re: Comprehensive Sickness Insurance upsets EC ...and what?

Post by johnnybaloney » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:04 pm

First of all, sorry, there's been some mixup and the links above are wrong but I cannot correct them. Here is the article (direct download) I was talking about.

So what happened? European Commission got gagged by UK's threats of leaving EU?

I'm just trying to use common sense based on the information I come across, forgive my ignorance. Why would ILPA make a complain to a body which as you say had no say on such matters, they should've known better, and which in turn "launched infringement proceedings" against the UK? If they did there must have been a mechanism in place for dealing with such matters. They didn't suddenly decide to challenge UK hoping for the best.

I understand there weren't any new court cases since then.