ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel on Indian Passport after oath ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

sbr
Newly Registered

Travel on Indian Passport after oath ceremony

Post by sbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi All

I am due to attend oath ceremony end of January and need to travel to india shortly after. I checked with Indian high commission and they said there is a grace period of 90 days from issue of naturalisation certificate. I also know that I will have to return my BRP ILR card once I get the nat. cert. So my question is when returning back to UK;
1. Will the airline/ indian immigration give me a hard time explaining what visa I am traveling on?
2. Will my nat. cert. be acceptable proof at UK border to enter the UK?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Travel on Indian Passport after oath ceremony

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I think there is now a requirement for the ILR BRP card to be returned after the ceremony so travel might well be impossible.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:36 pm

sbr wrote:Hi All

I am due to attend oath ceremony end of January and need to travel to india shortly after. I checked with Indian high commission and they said there is a grace period of 90 days from issue of naturalisation certificate. I also know that I will have to return my BRP ILR card once I get the nat. cert. So my question is when returning back to UK;
1. Will the airline/ indian immigration give me a hard time explaining what visa I am traveling on?
2. Will my nat. cert. be acceptable proof at UK border to enter the UK?

Thanks
1) Most likely.

2) Yes - but see 1.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm

correct the ILR has to be returned within 5 days of getting nat cert.. .. hence my question as to whether nat. cert. is acceptable proof?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:40 pm

sbr wrote:correct the ILR has to be returned within 5 days of getting nat cert.. .. hence my question as to whether nat. cert. is acceptable proof?
Yeah sorry ignore my post, didn't read yours properly!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Naturalisation certificate is not a travel document. Airlines and India immigration might not have a clue what it is especially given that it is a piece of paper with no photo and could have been printed at home.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 pm

So, the only option left is getting British Passport... is that correct?

abhatt
Newly Registered

Post by abhatt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 pm

I was under similar situation last month. Had the ceremony and travelled to India after 3 days. No one took away my ILR. I am not sure where you get this information from.

I travelled to India as Indian citizen and left India showing my ILR. I did fill out landing card on entering the UK as British traveling on Indian passport. This was suggested my one member of this forum and worked for me.

The immigration officer in the UK told me that I could have used UK national queue with my naturalisation certificate. Apparently once you are naturalised your bio-matric goes off the system and if you go into non-EU queue they will have to sit you down if they can't fine your bio-matric so best is to enter the UK as British showing your naturalisation certificate even if you do not have British passport. I hope this helps.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:05 pm

hi abhatt,

thanks for your info. This page says that you need to return the BRP within 5 days of naturalisation certificate issue - (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony ).. The page says it was updated 8th Jan 2016 at the bottom.

It states clearly that you may be fined up to £1000 if you dont return the BRP. Am not sure if this clause has come in the last week or so...

So my assessment is -
1. Naturalisation cert is not a travel doc
2. My passport does not have a ILR stamp as ILR is only my BRP card. I'll have to return the BRP card after obtaining nat. cert.

based on 1 and 2 - I can go to india, but, do not have anything that says I can travel back to UK. feeling gutted !!!

abhatt
Newly Registered

Post by abhatt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi sbr

Looks like I was lucky as I returned on the same day when this new guidance came in. I am not sure now if people who got their certificates last month has to return the BRP. I wouldn't have even known this if I haven't visited the forum to check passport application's processing timings!

brynsadler
Newly Registered

Post by brynsadler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:33 pm

sbr wrote:hi abhatt,

thanks for your info. This page says that you need to return the BRP within 5 days of naturalisation certificate issue - (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony ).. The page says it was updated 8th Jan 2016 at the bottom.

It states clearly that you may be fined up to £1000 if you dont return the BRP. Am not sure if t

Does the abpve rule apply only to BRP cards? what about the ILR sticker some of us have. Does that need to returned ?

B

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:37 pm

brynsadler wrote:

It states clearly that you may be fined up to £1000 if you dont return the BRP. Am not sure if t

Does the abpve rule apply only to BRP cards? what about the ILR sticker some of us have. Does that need to returned ?

B
Only BRP cards. Impossible to return your foreign passport to HO isn't it :?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 pm

It states clearly that you may be fined up to £1000 if you dont return the BRP. Am not sure if this clause has come in the last week or so...

So my assessment is -
1. Naturalisation cert is not a travel doc
2. My passport does not have a ILR stamp as ILR is only my BRP card. I'll have to return the BRP card after obtaining nat. cert.

based on 1 and 2 - I can go to india, but, do not have anything that says I can travel back to UK. feeling gutted !!!

The latest AN form (01/16 version) has option where you tick that you will submit biometric after 5 days of attending ceremony. I am sure when you submitted AN Form , those options were not there. so wondering if it applies to anyone who filled AN form before Jan 2016?

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:39 pm

vishpb35 wrote: The latest AN form (01/16 version) has option where you tick that you will submit biometric after 5 days of attending ceremony. I am sure when you submitted AN Form , those options were not there. so wondering if it applies to anyone who filled AN form before Jan 2016?
Yes these were not there. Bear in mind, the link I pasted for gov uk applies regardless i.e., it does not say "if this option was selected in your application, then this applies".